The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Jeremiah Smith committed today. Obviously a long ways away from signing the '24 class but this gives us the #1 and #2 ranked recruit in the '24 class with him and Raiola. 

This dude has been called baby Calvin Johnson by many and his highlights are sick. His Chaminade teammate Jojo Trader might come as well and he's the 10th ranked player in the '24 class. If this holds, and with Hartline it probably will, the class is off to a crazy good start

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Jeremiah Smith committed today. Obviously a long ways away from signing the '24 class but this gives us the #1 and #2 ranked recruit in the '24 class with him and Raiola. 

This dude has been called baby Calvin Johnson by many and his highlights are sick. His Chaminade teammate Jojo Trader might come as well and he's the 10th ranked player in the '24 class. If this holds, and with Hartline it probably will, the class is off to a crazy good start

I understand frustrations with Ryan Day, but his pass heavy philosophy NEEDS to stay at OSU.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I understand frustrations with Ryan Day, but his pass heavy philosophy NEEDS to stay at OSU.

Agreed. If Smith and Raiola stick, that start will draw in more recruits as well. Plus, if Dylan is all he's cracked up to be and he certainly looks like he will be, Tate, Inniss, Rodgers, and Rogers will be ready by the time he is and those guys look insanely talented. The future is definitely bright w/ recruiting, even w/ the rumor coming out that we don't go too heavy w/ NIL unless you're a QB or top recruit, so we just need to make sure Day knows how to use them. 

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

As long as he evolves by making his quarterbacks some semblance of a regular part of the running game. He’s 10 years behind that and that’s not an exaggeration. Read and zone options, picking up big yards on scrambles, that’s all something the best guys in the game even into the NFL do and he doesn’t utilize that dynamic at all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As long as he evolves by making his quarterbacks some semblance of a regular part of the running game. He’s 10 years behind that and that’s not an exaggeration. Read and zone options, picking up big yards on scrambles, that’s all something the best guys in the game even into the NFL do and he doesn’t utilize that dynamic at all.

My thesis would actually be Justin Fields. Ryan Day never used his ELITE athletic ability and look at how he’s being used in Chicago and how successful he’s been this year.

Meanwhile, Jalen Hurts is killing it.

Caleb Williams won a Heisman and look at Lincoln Riley quarterbacks.

Bryce Young at Alabama.

Watson at Clemson and in the league.

Lamar at Louisville and in the league.

Even in 2014 Cardale had some huge conversions with his legs and ran over that Alabama safety on third down.

His refusal to utilize the quarterback running game is literally a handicap, because defenses don’t have to allocate that extra defender. Every other competent offensive coach starting in high school realizes this but he has not yet.

That HAS TO change.

• Like 1

Exactly, you can't run the QB option unless the QB is actually reading it and keeping the ball when that is the option.  I lost count of the number of times when Stroud has "given" when he should have pulled it out and ran the opposite way.  I put given in quotes because it was never an option, it's almost always a plain give no matter what the defender does the way they have run it.  I think they have run it less this year, but it was baaaaaad last year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Exactly, you can't run the QB option unless the QB is actually reading it and keeping the ball when that is the option.  I lost count of the number of times when Stroud has "given" when he should have pulled it out and ran the opposite way.  I put given in quotes because it was never an option, it's almost always a plain give no matter what the defender does the way they have run it.  I think they have run it less this year, but it was baaaaaad last year.

It's also not something that you can just implement schematically and assume it will work without live bullets/game reps. You need the repetition of reading and reacting...throw in gameplans from other coaches who clearly don't even let/tell their force defender to account for the QB, and it's a no gain/loss. 

We don't even have a boot action pass mixer to keep that guy honest.

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I have to believe they didn't do that with Stroud bc he's just slow. Maybe I'm just tricking myself into that being the reason lol. If someone like Brown was back there, I'm guessing it'd be used more often

The don't run that play!  They've run it far less this year at least.  I noticed early on we had more traditional run setups than in the previous few years.