Eagles cut Brent Celek

49erurtaza

Just now, Blahman88 said:

Not when you are over the cap and have a number of core leaders in the locker room.

Jason Peters, Malcolm Jenkins, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox etc/

He's a back up blocking tight end who wasn't worth the $5m against the gap, a no brainer.

Plus ertz is becoming a leader himself. Celek had almost nothing to do with us getting a ring.

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

Is he a hall of famer though?

Too early to say given he hasn't filed for retirement yet.

But leading the Eagles to their first ever Super Bowl victory is impressive, so that ring has some weight on his resume. Tony Gonzalez never got one and he made the Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

These are the sort of head scratching moves that make people doubt a team can repeat the following season. Celek is a veteran and provides a veteran presence in the locker room. When Wentz went down, it was Celek's leadership that kept the franchise together through the tough times, and allowed them to channel their inner strength during the playoff push.

I'm certain any team that has legitimate championship aspirations will be calling Celek's agent right about now.

So if he signs back with the Eagles for less money, does that make this release today ok in terms of “trying to repeat?” 

Eagles are in such a tough cap spot that this move needed to be made to get under the requirement. 

And please don’t act as if Celek isn’t an 11 year vet who played around 35% of the snaps this year. We as Eagles fans don’t like seeing him depart, but we understand it’s a part of the business.

Trust us, we’re trying to repeat. Celek’s release doesn’t change that one bit.

39 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

But leading the Eagles to their first ever Super Bowl victory is impressive, so that ring has some weight on his resume. Tony Gonzalez never got one and he made the Hall of Fame.

Ya tony is a real head scratcher. Brent is in for sure. The real question is who has the cap space to sign him? If cousins is getting 28 than he must get somewhere around that.

39 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Wait, are you suggesting that Brent Celek has a chance at the Hall of Fame? Even the most die-hard, bleed midnight green, cheesesteak in one hand and mustard pretzel in the other hand, Eagles fan wouldn’t agree with that. Lmao dude. 

3 minutes ago, 808 said:

Wait, are you suggesting that Brent Celek has a chance at the Hall of Fame? Even the most die-hard, bleed midnight green, cheesesteak in one hand and mustard pretzel in the other hand, Eagles fan wouldn’t agree with that. Lmao dude. 

To be completely honest, this is literally the first time I've ever seen anyone suggest that Celek is a Hall of Fame caliber player. 

I've never even remotely thought that of him. 

Great player for the Eagles, sure. I appreciate all his time with the team. But is he a Hall of Famer? No.

Tony Gonzalez has career 15 k receiving yards and 111 TDS.

Brent Celek has career 5 k yards and 31 TDS.

Am I missing something? They don’t belong in the same chapter of the same book about all-time TEs. 

Archived