Browns sign OT Hubbard

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

That’s not even remotely true. Might not have been the unmovable object he once was but he was far from bad. 

I just wonder how many people saying this actually watched him those first few weeks of the season. I don't care enough to argue. I saw him get beat around the edge multiple times. When people are talking someone up each week for beating Joe Thomas, people should probably start asking themselves whether Joe Thomas is playing the way he was used to. I was speculating instantly that he was playing hurt. But he was nowhere near his usual standard and he wasn't that effective period.

There's a reason TJ Watt had 2 of his 7 sacks to start the season. And it wasn't just Watt who enjoyed playing against Thomas before he left the field.

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I just wonder how many people saying this actually watched him those first few weeks of the season. I don't care enough to argue. I saw him get beat around the edge multiple times. When people are talking someone up each week for beating Joe Thomas, people should probably start asking themselves whether Joe Thomas is playing the way he was used to. I was speculating instantly that he was playing hurt. But he was nowhere near his usual standard and he wasn't that effective period.

There's a reason TJ Watt had 2 of his 7 sacks to start the season. And it wasn't just Watt who enjoyed playing against Thomas before he left the field.

...you mean the pessimistic Browns fans that watched him every single week? Yeah I'm pretty sure we've watched enough to tell you how Joe was playing in 2017.

I guarantee you nobody enjoys playing against Joe Thomas. You can enjoy your opinion out there on your island, but that's a lonely place to be.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

...you mean the pessimistic Browns fans that watched him every single week? Yeah I'm pretty sure we've watched enough to tell you how Joe was playing in 2017.

I guarantee you nobody enjoys playing against Joe Thomas. You can enjoy your opinion out there on your island, but that's a lonely place to be.

I'll hold onto my opinion, thanks. It doesn't mean the guy is done, but he was not good last year when he played. My own opinion is that he was hurt from the start. And he can return and play just fine, if healthy and motivated. But that wasn't the guy I saw last year at all. TJ Watt beat him routinely in that game. And it's not because TJ Watt is that good. And I'm not talking the QB play was bad so Watt got some effort sacks. He was beating him. And a number of other guys who weren't that good were beating him the next few weeks. And cleanly doing so to make plays.

And maybe Browns fans should wake up when the guy is refusing to give word whether he'll play this late into the off-season.

29 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Is Stephenson at least a quality backup?

Well, I'll put it this way.  I got to watch one of the Broncos preseason games last year.  And one guy stood out as significantly worse than everyone else on the Broncos (second string) offensive line.  He was the clear weak link. Number 71.  Who was number 71.... Donald Stephenson.  Hmmmm

I guess the Shonn Coleman experiment is over before it really began.  What happened to that guy? 

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

I'll hold onto my opinion, thanks. It doesn't mean the guy is done, but he was not good last year when he played. My own opinion is that he was hurt from the start. And he can return and play just fine, if healthy and motivated. But that wasn't the guy I saw last year at all. TJ Watt beat him routinely in that game. And it's not because TJ Watt is that good. And I'm not talking the QB play was bad so Watt got some effort sacks. He was beating him. And a number of other guys who weren't that good were beating him the next few weeks. And cleanly doing so to make plays.

And maybe Browns fans should wake up when the guy is refusing to give word whether he'll play this late into the off-season.

lol ok. And Roethlisberger played terrible against the Browns week 1. And I also saw him get lit up against the Jaguars a few weeks later. He was not good at all last year when he played.

It's idiotic to watch so few snaps of a player not on your team and throw out judgments when the people that have watched every single snap he's taken tell you otherwise. Browns fans aren't unreasonable or over the top homeristic. We're pretty brutal on our own guys when they suck (99.4% of the roster).

Just now, Crickett said:

Well, I'll put it this way.  I got to watch one of the Broncos preseason games last year.  And one guy stood out as significantly worse than everyone else on the Broncos (second string) offensive line.  He was the clear weak link. Number 71.  Who was number 71.... Donald Stephenson.  Hmmmm

I guess the Shonn Coleman experiment is over before it really began.  What happened to that guy? 

Shon Coleman can bump over to LT and hopefully take over for Joe Thomas when he retires. Coleman has really good movement skills for being such a big dude and was surprisingly adequate in pass protection. I actually thought when we drafted him that it was to eventually replace Joe Thomas. We'll see if that holds true.

Coleman was probably right around the league average for OT's last season. Just a solid overall player that doesn't do anything overly well or get beaten with something overly often.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

lol ok. And Roethlisberger played terrible against the Browns week 1. And I also saw him get lit up against the Jaguars a few weeks later. He was not good at all last year when he played.

It's idiotic to watch so few snaps of a player not on your team and throw out judgments when the people that have watched every single snap he's taken tell you otherwise. Browns fans aren't unreasonable or over the top homeristic. We're pretty brutal on our own guys when they suck (99.4% of the roster).

One guy played 7 games and then missed the rest of the year. And beyond that, Roethlisberger was throwing the ball as well as I've seen him as a Steelers fan. He wasn't moving like he had at times to start the season. And Steelers fans argued over that. And I'd hope some bitter Browns fans were asking questions about Joe Thomas, as well. Because they were needed. My opinion wasn't based on one game.

And I've seen quite a few dumb predictions from Browns fans around here. I quite liked Joe Haden's performance last year myself. And reasonable Browns fans were telling me that Sashi was different. They were going to stick with Sashi.

I'm not even saying Joe Thomas is done. You seem to want to read into my post and make my point that. But he was not good last year.

33 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Good question. Coleman was solid at RT for us in his first year starting.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Stephenson doesn't even make the final roster. That was a depth signing and nothing more.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Is Stephenson at least a quality backup?

From watching all those Broncos games, Stephenson is horrible. He has horrible technique and is extremely weak. Stephenson had to be helped with a TE the entire game everytime they played a good DE. Kahlil Mack I think had 5 sacks in a game because Stephenson was just getting straight up ran over.

He is similar in horribleness to Cameron Erving and I have no idea how he is even rosterable. I guess the only place I feel comfortable with is that if he is the 5th tackle in the roster just in case the backups get hurt.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Psssh don't get me started on that deal.  The Redskins forum is drooling over a guy with one 700 yard season on his resume and 2 torn ACLs.

Richardson's health is a legitimate question mark, but he can play. He got unlucky with the timing of his injury in 2015. If not for that, I think he'd have three years of quality production. He always flashed, but he never got a real chance until late last year when Lockett broke his leg.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Clearly you didn't even watch. You remember Watt had a good game and that is all. You have no idea how it even happened because like a typical fan boy you purely results oriented and don't actually understand the game of football. If you actually watched the game and processed information quickly enough to understand how the sack actually happened, and not just that it did happen and it was Watt so clearly Joe Thomas sucks now, then you would clearly know that was not the case.

First, there was next to nothing as far as pressure goes on Kizer nearly the entire game outside of a few plays and there really wasn't all year. Kizer continuously held the ball for far too long period.

Secondly, T.J. Watt's 1st sack came by shoving David Njoku nearly to the ground to initially pressure Kizer from inside and flush him out. Kizer scrambles and does what Kizer does best and held on the to ball for nearly 8 seconds and still cannot make up his mind then runs into Watt's sack on a 2nd effort/hustle play. Meanwhile, Joe Thomas was stonewalling Cameron Hayward for over 5 seconds and then kept on playing and moving while Kizer was being and idiot and nearly got taken out then bc of it. The sack was not on JT or even remotely close to it.

Last, T.J. Watt did get the best of JT on his second career sack and even then it was not like Joe Thomas was a shell of his former self. He had a great kickslide killing Watts initial burst off the edge and Watt had to counter back to the inside and Joe Thomas simply stopped moving his feet. It happens to even the greatest of players even in their prime. 

And Oh BTdubs that was the only sack Joe Thomas surrender in all 7 games.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a Steelers fan though.

Archived