Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill goes down on a scramble.

Farsendor1

The more interesting part of this, if in fact he is seriously injured (not something I'm hoping for), is what the Dolphins would do next year, the first year that they can get out of that contract with big cap savings. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been great throughout his career, and if you add an injury that required him to miss this entire season, they may be enamored with the idea of moving on. 

Just now, Forge said:

The more interesting part of this, if in fact he is seriously injured (not something I'm hoping for), is what the Dolphins would do next year, the first year that they can get out of that contract with big cap savings. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been great throughout his career, and if you add an injury that required him to miss this entire season, they may be enamored with the idea of moving on. 

And give the reins to.. Matt Moore? Brandon Doughty? TJ Yates? A 2017 rookie?

Dolphins are in a good cap situation, even if this ends up being a worst-case scenario type deal.

Just now, cddolphin said:

And give the reins to.. Matt Moore? Brandon Doughty? TJ Yates? A 2017 rookie?

Dolphins are in a good cap situation, even if this ends up being a worst-case scenario type deal.

Alex Smith after he's cut by the Chiefs :P

That's a good point. I Don't know if it makes any sense to trade off on Tannehill for a shot on Jimmy G if he's available, or Blake Bortles, etc. 

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

For a backup, Matt Moore isn't bad though.

Matt is pretty terrible. It's not 2015 anymore. Dude throws straight ducks. It doesn't work with his "gunslinger-lite" play style. He sees the field but I just don't think he has it physically anymore.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I Don't know if it makes any sense to trade off on Tannehill for a shot on Jimmy G if he's available, or Blake Bortles, etc

Jimmy G would never happen, and Bortles is awful. My guess is there's a 0.05% chance Miami would trade for any non-deveopmental QB.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Matt is pretty terrible. It's not 2015 anymore. Dude throws straight ducks. It doesn't work with his "gunslinger-lite" play style. He sees the field but I just don't think he has it physically anymore.

Most backups are terrible. He wasn't that terrible filling in last year. Looked better than most backups against the Steelers too.

Not saying he'll lead the team to the playoffs, just comparing him to FA options.

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't think of that. Dolphins seem to be stuck in franchise purgatory to a degree. I don't know if Tannehill is ever good to be good enough to carry even a decent team far enough. But he's not a bad starter. That usually doesn't get you anywhere though. Alex Smith taught me that. 

I hope that Tannehill is OK, but if he isn't, the Browns have a playoff-tested QB that they'd be willing to move.  

Maybe a conditional pick that starts as a 4th, but could possibly make its way to a 2nd if he performs well for you?

Side note.....if this were to happen, Sashi Brown should be awarded the Executive of the Year award upon the announcement of the trade.

Archived