All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

More than just like play, teaches hand fighting for defensive backs, balance for all positions, helps with explosion into tackles and how to drive and use leverage in a tackle or block, and teaches kids not to be shy of contact. 

Don't know if there are many football coaches that don't like wrestlers/former wrestlers.

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Don't know if there are many football coaches that don't like wrestlers/former wrestlers.

As a coach, I love them, and if one of my freshmen didn’t have a winter activity they planned to do, I introduced them to the wrestling coach. 

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think Zylstra and Coley are both active on gameday, or only one?

and if you think it will only be one active, who would that be? 

Obviously, as mentioned this depends on injuries. Aside from that, the next thing to look at is special teams. If they would both be useful on special teams they will both be active. Preifer will put his input into who he would line up on the different units.

Interesting exercise. 

QB - 2 (Cousins/Siemian)

RB - 3 (Cook/Murray/Ham)

OL - 8 (Reiff/Compton/Jones/Remmers/Hill/Isidora/O’Neill/Collins)

WR - 5 (Diggs/Thielen/Treadwell/Coley/Zylstra)

TE - 3 (Rudolph/Morgan/Conklin)

DL - 7 (Griffen/Hunter/Richardson/Joseph/Johnson/Weatherly/Bower)

LB - 5 (Barr/Kendricks/Gedeon/Wilson/Downs)

DB - 10 (Rhodes/Waynes/Alexander/Hughes/Sherels/Smith/Sendejo/Iloka/Harris/Kearse or Hill)

SP - 3 (Carlson/Wile/McDermott)

———

pretty comfortable with that... honestly it was easier than I thought I was going to be. So, there’s probably an obvious omission or two. 

13 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Isn't it 45 active on gameday?

Not usually. If a team has enough injuries it could turn out that way but teams may have up to 53 players on their roster. From the players on the roster, teams may have up to 46 active for games.  I do not know of any examples of teams going into games with less than their max active player but it may have happened. Teams have intentionally started just 10 players on defense (RIP Sean Taylor).

Game day rosters were expanded from 45 to 46 when they dispensed with the emergency QB designation. It is no longer 40 for 60. Or 45 for 60. Now it is 46 for 60.

Just doesn't have the same ring to it as 40 for 60.

Late Add:

Here is a good reference for the roster limit history. https://www.profootballarchives.com/nflrosterlimits.html

There have been quite a few more changes to roster limits in my lifetime than I remember.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Treadwell is still only 23? Seems likes he's 40 by now.....

He was young when the team drafted him. I had forgotten exactly how young he was. I already started thinking of him as a slightly better version of Jake Weineke during the preaseason. It is interesting that they are also the same age. He still has time to improve. While he is better than Weineke, they both seem too slow for the league. The margin for being a successful WR in this league at that speed is razor thin. It takes being very good at everything else to compensate. I wonder whether Weineke would have improved more in three years than Treadwell. I sure hope the team finds a way to get at least some minimal production out of Treadwell.

The cupboard is pretty bare at WR behind the top two. I do think that Zylstra is a nice piece than can develop. Only time will tell whether that actually happens. Coley has potential too. It is just hard when potential sometimes doesn't meet production as in the case of Treadwell. It is even worse when the reason for that is not lack of opportunity.

I think one of Coley or Zylstra will have opportunity to show what they can do before the end of the season.

So all of the camp chatter and video supporting the claims that Treadwell has improved drastically don't mean anything to you? So much so that you are questioning whether he should have been cut in favor of a guy that was actually cut and didn't make the PS?

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

So all of the camp chatter and video supporting the claims that Treadwell has improved drastically don't mean anything to you?

Yes, pretty much. It means almost nothing to me. I've been around long enough to know how worthless it is.

Do you remember all the camp chatter about Matt Kalil every year? He was coming into this year with the Panthers healthy too. With the "injuries" dealt with he was, again, primed to have his best year yet this year. Same as every other year he was generating positive buzz. Same as every year he was terrible. This year is a little different for him though. After the early buzz he got hurt and is now on IR.

Do you remember all the camp chatter every year about Cordarrelle Paterson? He was working super hard and <insert current year> will surely be his breakout year.

Yeah, right.   Roflmao.

Treadwell may have a decent year. We don't know. But I'll believe it when I see it. The camp chatter is just talk. It is meaningless.

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

So much so that you are questioning whether he should have been cut in favor of a guy that was actually cut and didn't make the PS?

No. I didn't say that at all. How do you extract that out of what I wrote? If you are talking about Jake Weineke my point was that I don't think either of them belong in the NFL. They are both slow and neither of them possess skills required to overcome their athletic limitations. Given Treadwell's guaranteed salary I would not advocate cutting him for another guy that is pretty much just a little bit worse version of Treadwell.

I sure would have loved to trade Treadwell's contract away for a 2045 conditional 7th round pick. Too bad the Bills took Corey Coleman's contract on instead of Laquan Treadwell's contract. It will be harder to trick them now. They already have that huge amount of dead money. If the Vikings tricked another team into taking Treadwell and his contract I would have rolled the dice on Weineke if the team was set on trying to develop a slow guy.

Archived