All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Only kind-of half joking. Let's call Cleveland and just swap Gordon and Treadwell.

I don't think they would be interested. The only reason I can't be sure is because they are the Browns. Gordon they can cut without consequences. Treadwell's contract is a liability.

I don't think any team (Bills, if you still count them as an NFL team excluded) would take on the liability associated with Treadwell. They may have been able to get a deep conditional pick at some point in the offseason. If it was possible, like I said at the time, I would have been very pleased with any trade to remove the liability from the Vikings books. A 2040 conditional 7th would have been fine. The real win always was going to be dumping the liability.

I would be very surprised if any team thought the assets associated with Treadwell outweigh the liability they would have to take on with his current contract. Meanwhile, since the Vikings are already on the hook for the liability we are forced to hope they can get some sort of value out of the deal -- even if that value isn't commensurate with the liability.  The team has unfortunately been trying to force getting value out of him and it hasn't worked out to this point in his career. He has been a liability on the field in addition to the contractual liability.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I saw this on Twitter, and in Treadwell’s defense (which is tough to do), 3 of those targets were farther off the mark than any throw to other receivers. 

What? No. 

3 of them hit Treadwell in both hands:

• 3rd and short with Cousins getting hit, pass was behind him but very gently thrown and should’ve been caught IMO
  • tipped INT, throw maybe a little high and hot but decent placement, NFL receivers have to make that catch
  • 3rd and long in the first OT drive (just before the 2nd Carlson miss), short route thrown behind him but still hit both hands

None of those were easy but hey weren’t any harder than what Diggs did reaching down and behind him to scoop up his first TD reception after the zig zag motion. 

Only pass that missed Treadwell completely was 2nd down in the first OT drive, ball went above him out of bounds. Announcers didn’t say anything but it looked like Nick Perry tipped it at the line. 

Incompletions to other receivers:

Thielen only had the left sideline miscommunication, Cousins threw long and Thielen had stopped the route.

Diggs had the deep right sideline pass early in the game (King in good coverage), the deep miscommunication (Cousins threw a mile to no one, Diggs had pulled up) and the 3rd down pass in traffic that Martinez dove to tip away. Don’t remember the 4th incompletion but it I don’t think it hit him in the hands. 

Coley had the drop late in the game. 

Cook dropped a swing pass early and had a bang bang play on a screen blown up by Wilkerson (bad decision by Cousins to throw that, better it wasn’t caught).

Rudolph was the target on the pass knocked down by Clark just before the deep TD to Diggs. 

yeah saying that the throws to treadwell were bad/inaccurate is a joke. they didn't hit him in the chest, but they were only about a foot off it. basically, they were throws that required him to catch with his hands. i did notice that it seemed he was looking up to plan his next move on all the drops. i really hope working on that is the next stage in his "development".

4 minutes ago, Krauser said:

What? No. 

3 of them hit Treadwell in both hands:

• 3rd and short with Cousins getting hit, pass was behind him but very gently thrown and should’ve been caught IMO
  • 3rd and long in the first OT drive (just before the 2nd Carlson miss), short route thrown behind him but still hit both hands

I didn’t say Treadwell shouldn’t have caught them. But the 3 I was referring to (the two I quoted above, and the miscommunication in OT) were further off the mark by Cousins. 

Im not excusing Treadwell’s play. It was just an observation that some of Cousins’ throws towards Treadwell weren’t as accurate as his throws to Thielen, Diggs, etc. 

And maybe that inaccuracy has something to do with Treadwell, as well. Maybe he’s not running his routes deep enough, causing the timing from Cousins to be off just a bit. I don’t know. But, off the top of my head, I can’t think of another receiver who Cousins has thrown behind. So, maybe there’s a reason for that beyond Cousins’ accuracy. 

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I didn’t say Treadwell shouldn’t have caught them. But the 3 I was referring to (the two I quoted above, and the miscommunication in OT) were further off the mark by Cousins. 

Im not excusing Treadwell’s play. It was just an observation that some of Cousins’ throws towards Treadwell weren’t as accurate as his throws to Thielen, Diggs, etc. 

And maybe that inaccuracy has something to do with Treadwell, as well. Maybe he’s not running his routes deep enough, causing the timing from Cousins to be off just a bit. I don’t know. But, off the top of my head, I can’t think of another receiver who Cousins has thrown behind. So, maybe there’s a reason for that beyond Cousins’ accuracy. 

Cousins isn't a super accurate QB. 

There was a throw to Thielen on a comeback at the sticks that was left a yard short, Thielen had to go to ground to make the catch. 

The first TD to Diggs was underthrown and he had to reach back for it and scoop it just off the ground.

Last week, there was a pass to Thielen near the sidelines on a rollout that was thrown behind him and he had to reach back for. The throw to Morgan on the scramble drill inside the Niners 10 was placed away from coverage to Morgan so he had to stretch out for it. 

But the accuracy in general has been good enough. Including to Treadwell: the 3rd down pass Cousins was being sacked is hard to fault, he was being hit at the time. And the INT was totally reasonable placement for a quick timing route against off coverage. The last target (3rd down in OT) wasn't well placed but it didn't matter much, 3 yards on 3rd and long, and no one's made a big deal of it. 

The problem is a drive killing drop on a nice improvisational play by Cousins and what could've been a game killing INT on the GWD attempt with 2 minutes left. No idea how they can play Treadwell ahead of Coley or Zylstra at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Krauser said:

No idea how they can play Treadwell ahead of Coley or Zylstra at this point. 

100% agreement. 

Although, with his ability to block, and the fact that he has been getting open, I feel that we are still going to see him get the bulk of the WR3 snaps. 

Archived