All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yes, pretty much. It means almost nothing to me. I've been around long enough to know how worthless it is.

Do you remember all the camp chatter about Matt Kalil every year? He was coming into this year with the Panthers healthy too. With the "injuries" dealt with he was, again, primed to have his best year yet this year. Same as every other year he was generating positive buzz. Same as every year he was terrible. This year is a little different for him though. After the early buzz he got hurt and is now on IR.

Do you remember all the camp chatter every year about Cordarrelle Paterson? He was workign super hard and <insert current year> will surely be his breakout year.

Yeah, right.   Lol.

Treadwell may have a decent year. We don't know. But I'll believe it when I see it. The camp chatter is just talk. It is meaningless.

No. I didn't say that at all. How do you extract that out of what I wrote? If you are talking about Jake Weineke my point was that I don't think either of them belong in the NFL. They are both slow and neither of them possess skills required to overcome their athletic limitations. Given Treadwell's guaranteed salary I would not advocate cutting him for another guy that is pretty much just a little bit worse version of Treadwell.

I sure would have loved to trade Treadwell's contract away for a 2045 conditional 7th round pick. Too bad the Bills took Corey Coleman's contract on instead of Laquan Treadwell's contract. It will be harder to trick them now. They already have that huge amount of dead money. If the Vikings tricked another team into taking Treadwell and his contract I would have rolled the dice on Weineke if the team was set on trying to develop a slow guy.

LMAO This is just silliness!  You seem very quick to give up on people.  Besides their size Treadwell and Weineke are nothing alike!  There is a reason why Treadwell was being hyped as a top 5 draft pick before his slow 40 time at the combine and now he is significantly faster than he was during the combine.  Corey Coleman is an entitled bum who didn’t know anything about playing the WR position and didn’t want to work on his craft.  Treadwell is a humble hard worker who had flaws and has shown significant improvement.  Treadwell plays very similarly to Dez Bryant and I’m certain he will prove you wrong after he finally gets some opportunities this year.

13 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Treadwell plays very similarly to Dez Bryant and I’m certain he will prove you wrong after he finally gets some opportunities this year.

I sure hope that you are right. You make it sound like he hasn't already had opportunities though. The fact that they gave him opportunities and he couldn't produce is a large part of my concern with him. They gave him more opportunities than he deserved IMO. His guaranteed contract is the reason he'll get another set of opportunities this year. If he was a UDFA I do not believe he would still be on the team. 

Well, folks... there’s your false equivalences for today. 

This is a terrible take. Absolutely terrible. You don’t know more than the staff that has assembled one of the best, youngest, salary controlled rosters. They have jobs in the NFL and you are internet scout guy. The video evidence of Treadwell getting open, winning routes, and displaying NFL caliber skills is out there for the world to see. Sorry if you’d rather stick your head in the sand and compare him to a camp body. I was discussing your claims about Weineke. If that isn’t what you meant you should have done a better job stating your claim. I still disagree with you. Treadwell was never close to the bubble or to getting traded. Instead he was running with the ones and getting noticed. 

44 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I sure hope that you are right. You make it sound like he hasn't already had opportunities though. The fact that they gave him opportunities and he couldn't produce is a large part of my concern with him. They gave him more opportunities than he deserved IMO. His guaranteed contract is the reason he'll get another set of opportunities this year. If he was a UDFA I do not believe he would still be on the team. 

Hard to capitalize on opportunities that the QB won’t give you. Keenum repeatedly missed or passed up on Treadwell last year. His first year he was hampered by injuries. You seem to have your mind made up though. Enjoy the season. 

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

This is a terrible take. Absolutely terrible. You don’t know more than the staff that has assembled one of the best, youngest, salary controlled rosters. They have jobs in the NFL and you are internet scout guy.

I was fully aware but thanks for reminding me. The same is true of you.

I am not really sure where this is coming from though. I never claimed to know more than the staff. In fact, I said that I wouldn't have cut Treadwell either. This aligns nicely with what the staff actually did so the inference should be that the staff agree with me, not the opposite.

I suppose if you only like takes that agree with your own opinion my take would be terrible.  I thought a lot higher of Case Keenum than several people here which may explain the difference between opinions on why Treadwell wasn't productive again last year. My opinion of Sam Bradford was pretty low so I am happier to use that excuse for the year before.

As far as the video evidence, I am not impressed. I paid special attention to Treadwell when I watched the preseason this year. He looked slow. He didn't look at slow as Weineke but when I watched Weineke it reminded me of watching Treadwell. Treadwell did put one really nice catch on film last year but he also put some brutal things on film. The fact is, the staff reduced Treadwell's use throughout the year. There is a reason for that. Wright's snaps were increasing as Treadwell's decreased. The team thought Wright wasn't worth bringing back.  We can all draw our own conclusions about that. My conclusion is probably different than yours.

The staff preferred Jarius Wright to Treadwell. The staff cut Jarius Wright.

Please keep in mind, you do not know more than the staff that has assembled one of the best, youngest, salary controlled rosters. They have jobs in the NFL and you are internet scout guy.

IIRC, the emergence of Wright towards the end of the season was to save Treadwell from himself.  Treadwell was trying to play on an increasingly tender ankle.  He wanted to tough it out, and thus didn't inform the training staff or the coaching staff regarding the severity of the injury.  That got him in Zimmer's dog house a little bit.  I hope Treadwell has learned his lesson...sometimes playing hurt is a detriment to the team.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I was fully aware but thanks for reminding me. The same is true of you.

Please keep in mind, you do not know more than the staff that has assembled one of the best, youngest, salary controlled rosters. They have jobs in the NFL and you are internet scout guy.

K.

You should keep in mind that you are the one disagreeing with the consensus here. Many people that get paid to observe, write, and report on exactly these types of things, are in direct opposition with your opinion. That's why it's a bad take. Not because I think so highly of my own opinion.

Total Snap Count:

T: 36-50-31-25-41-44-55-31-B-24-16-21-19-32-24-27-23-15-20

W: 15-12-18-04-02-29-40-13-B-14-11-17-14-26-15-12-12-37-38

Passing Play Snap Count:

T: 27-33-25-18-20-25-32-25-B-16-14-13-11-26-13-12-13-09-12

W: 12-09-10-02-02-16-25-10-B-06-10-12-12-22-12-07-07-29-31

Treadwell clearly had the WR3 job while Michael Floyd was out (first 4 weeks) , and while Diggs was out in weeks 6-7 (GB and BAL). The Packers game in week 6 was Treadwell's big game, with the highlight catch along the sidelines. His snaps peaked the following week vs the Ravens, but he played badly including gifting an INT at the goalline on a contested catch. All told, he played a minimum of 25 snaps in each game, 30+ snaps in 7 games, and 40+ snaps in 4 of the first 8 games. 

Over the same timeframe, Wright didn't play more than 20 snaps except in weeks 6-7 with Diggs out. Otherwise, his maximum snap count was 18, well under Treadwell's minimum before the bye. 

After the bye, their usage was much more similar, with Wright typically playing almost as much on passing downs (especially IIRC on 3rd downs) while Treadwell put up a higher overall snap count based mostly on being used as a run blocker. 

In the playoffs, Treadwell played much less than Wright, especially on passing plays. 

The overall picture suggests that Treadwell effectively lost his clear ownership of the WR3 role around the time of the Ravens game (again, where he botched a contested catch attempt leading to an INT) and ended up splitting passing snaps with Wright for the rest of the year, only to fall clearly behind him in usage in the playoffs. 

Thielen finished last season eighth in the NFL in receptions (91), fifth in yards (1,276) and eighth in receiving first downs (59). Pro Football Focus rated the Vikings receiving corps No. 1 in the NFL heading into the season, writing that, “The Vikings’ 1-2 punch is simply unrivaled across the NFL at the moment. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are both top-notch route runners with exceptional ball skills.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-wide-receivers-adjust-to-kirk-cousins-skill-set/492656721/

Archived