Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

8 hours ago, Harris Smith said:

The key word is chance.  Mac is all out of chances.He's got the QB his career is riding on. He boxed the Bills,  Dolphins,  name the team,  out of position to jump over him, unless something unbelievable happens. He will have a ton cap space to launch the player's career next year.

In hindsight, I'm really glad we moved up to 3. The colts were trading back either with us or someone else. Had the Bills jumped to 3, that would have meant possibly all 4 QB's gone by 6. Or leaving us bidding with Arizona and Miami for the number 4 spot. 

10 hours ago, Harris Smith said:

What Kirwan is trying to say, is that with the Jets trading up to three, making the investment they did, if they were Rosen or bust they surely would of called the NYG, who could be a considered a rival for the choice, but never even inquired.

Quite frankly, I think Allen was their no. 1 on the board. Mayfield is no.2. Once it was established they couldn't get to 1, they locked in at Mayfield.  Could of got Rosen at two for sure, but they weren't even interested enough to call.

I just think his logic is flawed. He's assuming the Giants liked Rosen because that was popular a few months ago. What if the Browns or Giants really liked Mayfield and the Jets didn't call them? His entire theory combusts. 

Here's the real narrative: all signs point to the the Jets thinking that Darnold is locked in the top 2 picks. They are not sure exactly who will be there at 3, but know they'll have at least two to choose from between Allen, Mayfield, and Rosen. To suggest that they moved to 3 with Mayfield - or any other QB for that matter - being their preference makes no sense. They did it because they didn't want to be left out of the party and like 3 QBs enough to take the gamble. They called about #1, and from what I understand the real reason why they didn't seriously inquire about #2 is because they didn't want to tip their hand to Gettleman, who has a strong relationship with Brandon Beane (Bills GM). Had the Bills known the Jets were serious on acquiring a top 3 pick, they likely would've swooped in and created a bidding war for our pick. Even Beane admitted he was caught by surprise, but tried to play it off as if they weren't necessarily trying to trade up even though that has been the plan all along, they just didn't foresee the Jets making such an aggressive move... heck, no one did - it has never happened in the history of the draft.

One may say that the Colts would've called the Bills to see if they were interested in making an offer, but I think the Jets already were overpaying and with the relationships Macc has in that front office, they likely made an arrangement that no leaking to other teams unless their deal fell through... Macc has always been huge on that, and considering Rex Hogan got his first shot at an executive role with Maccagnan, he probably convinced Ballard to throw him a bone in that respect. Besides, the Colts wanted to remain in the top 6 picks. 

Ultimately I think we will end up with Rosen or Mayfield, but I don't buy the notion that they traded up to 3 because they wanted Mayfield over Rosen. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

In hindsight, I'm really glad we moved up to 3. The colts were trading back either with us or someone else. Had the Bills jumped to 3, that would have meant possibly all 4 QB's gone by 6. Or leaving us bidding with Arizona and Miami for the number 4 spot. 

This is why I was really excited when the Jets made the trade. I don't care about those 2nd round picks. To have a chance at one of the 4 QB is well worth it. I'm tired of waiting for a franchise QB. You do what every it takes to get one or have a chance at one. The best part of this situation is that 2 of the 4 QB will be there so we can even decide which one we want. I really hope it is Mayfield. If it is Mayfield I'm buying a jersey the next day and my two young sons (2 and 4) one too. Ya I know I'm passing the Jet curse down. I do think Allen is the number one guy all along. I think the Browns are throwing Darnald name out there to see if the Giants want him that bad and trick them into moving up one spot. On a side note I think if OBJ is traded before the draft (which I think WILL HAPPEN) will mean the Giants will stay put at 2 and draft a QB. They are pretty much all in on a rebuild mode. The Giants will take a QB at 2.

This is what I see happening 

OBJ is traded to the Rams for (2018 Rams 1st round pick, 2019 Rams 2nd round pick) OBJ signs a 5 year 85 mill contract with 50 mill guaranteed.

1. Browns = Josh Allen   The Browns tried really hard to make the Giants move up but they did not bite. 

2. Giants = Sam Darnald  The Giants are now in full rebuild mode. This is the last year you will see Manning in a Giants uniform. Darnald starts on the bench but starts a few games later.

3. Jets = Baker Mayfield   Yes that is right I think Mayfield was there guy the entire time. You can say all you want but this guy has the attitude will to win and put fans in their seats. 

4. Bills = Josh Rosen  The Bills have no choice but to move up to 4 from 12 and it cost them A LOT because the Browns really like Barkley and the only way the make the trade is foe a kings ransom. I don't care about that stupid points chart because some drafts are deep some are not. This draft you can throw the chart out because you are talking franchise QB. The Bills pony up ( two first round picks in 2018, 2nd round pick 2018, 1st round pick 2019). The Jets deal looks like a steal because the price only goes up ever day.

5. Denver = Barkley  I really do think Denver is left out in the cold but they get the best player in the draft. Denver will hope that something clicks for Lynch. Case K will hold down the position for a few years, 

Some other things that will happen. 

Lamar Jackson goes in round 2 late

Pats trade out of the first round and they trade Gronk

Phil trades Nick Foley to the Cardinals for there first round pick next year.

Texans trade a late round pick pick to the jets for Hack. Bill will try to work him as a backup

4 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is why I was really excited when the Jets made the trade. I don't care about those 2nd round picks. To have a chance at one of the 4 QB is well worth it. I'm tired of waiting for a franchise QB. You do what every it takes to get one or have a chance at one. The best part of this situation is that 2 of the 4 QB will be there so we can even decide which one we want. I really hope it is Mayfield. If it is Mayfield I'm buying a jersey the next day and my two young sons (2 and 4) one too. Ya I know I'm passing the Jet curse down. I do think Allen is the number one guy all along. I think the Browns are throwing Darnald name out there to see if the Giants want him that bad and trick them into moving up one spot. On a side note I think if OBJ is traded before the draft (which I think WILL HAPPEN) will mean the Giants will stay put at 2 and draft a QB. They are pretty much all in on a rebuild mode. The Giants will take a QB at 2.

This is what I see happening 

OBJ is traded to the Rams for (2018 Rams 1st round pick, 2019 Rams 2nd round pick) OBJ signs a 5 year 85 mill contract with 50 mill guaranteed.

1. Browns = Josh Allen   The Browns tried really hard to make the Giants move up but they did not bite. 

2. Giants = Sam Darnald  The Giants are now in full rebuild mode. This is the last year you will see Manning in a Giants uniform. Darnald starts on the bench but starts a few games later.

3. Jets = Baker Mayfield   Yes that is right I think Mayfield was there guy the entire time. You can say all you want but this guy has the attitude will to win and put fans in their seats. 

4. Bills = Josh Rosen  The Bills have no choice but to move up to 4 from 12 and it cost them A LOT because the Browns really like Barkley and the only way the make the trade is foe a kings ransom. I don't care about that stupid points chart because some drafts are deep some are not. This draft you can throw the chart out because you are talking franchise QB. The Bills pony up ( two first round picks in 2018, 2nd round pick 2018, 1st round pick 2019). The Jets deal looks like a steal because the price only goes up ever day.

5. Denver = Barkley  I really do think Denver is left out in the cold but they get the best player in the draft. Denver will hope that something clicks for Lynch. Case K will hold down the position for a few years, 

Some other things that will happen. 

Lamar Jackson goes in round 2 late

Pats trade out of the first round and they trade Gronk

Phil trades Nick Foley to the Cardinals for there first round pick next year.

Texans trade a late round pick pick to the jets for Hack. Bill will try to work him as a backup

I have a hard time seeing Lamar drop out of round 1 think even if he passes the qb needy teams someone trades up into the end of the round for him (worst case Scenario for him)

i think it’s a real possibility giants trade out with the bills and they take Rosen / Allen / darnold (but not baker)

Foles trade I can believe if Arizona misses out on trading up or someone they want

I think we have wanted Rosen this whole time. Not Mayfield. Like @jetskid007 has said. I think we moved to 3 being 100% ok with any of the QBs really. And at this point I just want a young QB to be excited about. If we draft Mayfield, I’ll be happy. Will I think we should have drafted Rosen over him if both were available? Absolutely. But still won’t stop me from liking the pick and cheeeing for him.

Yea. I don't think the Jets traded up with 1 QB in mind. They likely like 3 guys and want to be able to pick one of them (this is what most insiders were reporting in the initial days of the trade). They didn't want to miss out on this year's group of QB, which could have been the case if we stayed at 6. Especially because the Bills were actively looking to trade up. Also, the Dolphins and Cardinals were making phone calls. 

As much as I want Baker on this team, I don't think they traded up specifically for him. Nor do I believe he is the number 1 guy on their board. He maybe 1 of 3, which means that there's a chance he is our pick. 

Like a few have said, I'm going to be pumped when we draft a QB whoever it is. They all have a case against them and a case for them. The top 5 guys are all graded similarly. I'm not buying that Darnold is the clear cut favorite at all. 

13 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea. I don't think the Jets traded up with 1 QB in mind. They likely like 3 guys and want to be able to pick one of them (this is what most insiders were reporting in the initial days of the trade). They didn't want to miss out on this year's group of QB, which could have been the case if we stayed at 6. Especially because the Bills were actively looking to trade up. Also, the Dolphins and Cardinals were making phone calls. 

As much as I want Baker on this team, I don't think they traded up specifically for him. Nor do I believe he is the number 1 guy on their board. He maybe 1 of 3, which means that there's a chance he is our pick. 

Like a few have said, I'm going to be pumped when we draft a QB whoever it is. They all have a case against them and a case for them. The top 5 guys are all graded similarly. I'm not buying that Darnold is the clear cut favorite at all. 

Only reason I think we know Darnold is going top 2 is bc we have done the least amount of “stuff” with him of the QBs. Which I don’t think is bc we don’t like him, I think it’s just the we “know” he wont be there at 3.

Archived