Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

To add to the speck, Pauline is saying he’s hearing “around the league” they will take Mayfield, if Darnold is gone. 

One thing that I think is pretty true is Darnold is their #1 player (they like someone the most considering they wanted to get to 1) and they know he’s going to be a Giant/Brown

Pauline is a reliable source too so this is interesting.  Surprised they like Mayfield over Rosen.  Maybe they are scared off by the Rosen injury history.  It's certainly a concern IMO.

I'd be thrilled with Mayfield so consider me pumped if we land him.

56 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Schultz said he didn't visit this week.  Doesn't mean he won't.

For now, sure. However, I look at bigger picture.

1. Jets may tell Allen that he was 4th qb or BPA.

2. Jets already traded up and unlikely trade up to #1 or trade out of top 5.

3. Browns/Giants are still in the hands.

4. Aiming for a qb needy team that may trade up ahead of Jets.

Visiting Jets make no benefit for Allen at all.

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Pauline is a reliable source too so this is interesting.  Surprised they like Mayfield over Rosen.  Maybe they are scared off by the Rosen injury history.  It's certainly a concern IMO.

I'd be thrilled with Mayfield so consider me pumped if we land him.

Yeah I’m buying it. I also found Macs “we’ve seen enough of Sam” comment or whatever when they didn’t schedule a workout, I definitely think he’s number 1 on their board. Unfortunately he’s also #1 on the Giants apparently.

I like Mayfield, but just more of the same luck  with the Giants landing the player we really want.

6 minutes ago, DowNY said:

I think the Bills are going to be forced to throw Shady McCoy into their offer to the Giants.

Would the Giants pass up both 1sts, both 2nds, next year's 2nd & Shady?

How much value does a soon to be 30 RB bring?  He is coming off of his worst rushing year in his career, lowest ypc, lowest yards per game since 2012 where he was injured.  Guy has 2600 career touches and is the 3rd most expensive RB in football.  He certainly isn't the cherry on top of a trade for me.  

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

To add to the speck, Pauline is saying he’s hearing “around the league” they will take Mayfield, if Darnold is gone. 

One thing that I think is pretty true is Darnold is their #1 player (they like someone the most considering they wanted to get to 1) and they know he’s going to be a Giant/Brown

Who is the "they" in this rumor us or the Giants at #2?  confused lol.

8 minutes ago, DowNY said:

I think the Bills are going to be forced to throw Shady McCoy into their offer to the Giants.

Would the Giants pass up both 1sts, both 2nds, next year's 2nd & Shady?

I honestly think that's even a little short. Throw in the Bills early 3rd Round Pick and I think that's the breaking point. 

That would still make sense for the Bills. They get to pick a QB at 2. And they still have their 3rd this year. So, they essentially put themselves in the position the Jets are in now. Except that they will be picking 2nd overall. But I am not sure the Giants do it. I think they will go QB. But if they trade back, I think that's roughly where the trade will be.

1 hour ago, KBS756 said:

Idk I’m a proponent of going out and meeting as many of the people in your industry as you can

but damn it if true Allen had moved to the top of my list

What did you see that had Allen at the top of your list?  I have been back and forth on him myself, but I have firmly landed on him being the scariest of the top 5 QB's to me (yes i am including Lamar).  He has the crazy arm strength but that isn't nearly as important to me as things like accuracy, and anticipation the 2 things that he is the worst at of these prospects.  I agree that his ceiling is very high but his floor is the lowest by a mile.

37 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

How much value does a soon to be 30 RB bring?  He is coming off of his worst rushing year in his career, lowest ypc, lowest yards per game since 2012 where he was injured.  Guy has 2600 career touches and is the 3rd most expensive RB in football.  He certainly isn't the cherry on top of a trade for me.  

When you put it that way.....

sounds like he fits right in with their signings and win now approach with Eli. LMAO

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

What did you see that had Allen at the top of your list?  I have been back and forth on him myself, but I have firmly landed on him being the scariest of the top 5 QB's to me (yes i am including Lamar).  He has the crazy arm strength but that isn't nearly as important to me as things like accuracy, and anticipation the 2 things that he is the worst at of these prospects.  I agree that his ceiling is very high but his floor is the lowest by a mile.

I went and watched his games against the better competition where his stat lines were not great along with some of his games against worse competition. When i first saw his stats I was like WTH why is he even being talked about as a 1st round pick.

1st. Accuracy the elephant in the room. I dont think its as bad as stated ... or even close to as bad as stated. 1. He normally doesnt have open WRs where he tries to throw it where hopefully they can have a chance but defense wont... mostly end up looking like throw aways. 2. Pressure is in his face and his first couple reads aren't there and hes not set to throw or see 3rd or 4th because hes running from pressure. 3. He decides to play backyard football with some hero ball throws into coverage (where he gets himself in trouble). When looking at all this I think its the inherent difficulty of the throws he is attempting or is forced to attempt that result in the lower percentage but I dont think its a problem at the NFL level. Coaching should help fix his muscle memory and correct some wacky mechanic glitches he has ... and for me I loved Cam Newton coming out, but i was afraid about his accuracy ,,, and his random duck throws he had, I dont think Allen is anywhere near as bad as Newton was and Newton has cleaned that up a lot (hes not rodgers accurate but hes way more accurate than he looked in college.

2nd. For me this is my most important, and thats what comes off as a never say die attitude during games. He can throw an ugly pick or two when down and still throw into a tight window or difficult throw with the same confidence. I feel like I saw Darnold and Rosen have problems with this at times and become hesitant I dont think lack of confidence is part of Allen's make up, and think he can take the lumps of being a rookie or a 1st year starter and keep his confidence and learn.

3rd. Yea I know its the underwear olympics and all, but his mechanics and accuracy have improved throughout the process and it clearly shows he's worked on it. In the senior bowl practice he started off as rough missing easy throws ... and improved dramatically throughout the week. In the game 9/13 (69% completion) 12+ YPA 158 yards passing 19 rushing, 2 TDs ... touch and accuracy all showed in game action.

To me the Senior bowl showing is a big positive because he improved over the course showing hes coachable. Talent level probably better on both sides there and he showed better. And also pressure of the event considering he was one of the big names there and throwing to receivers you dont have much time to generate timing with yet still played very well.

4th also very important. My Belief in his passion for the game and work ethic. Coming outta HS he had no offers, but he didnt get defeated and reached out to a ton of coaches ... and worked his way to Wyoming (which granted isnt a great program) but he worked through adversity to get his chance, and by all accounts was the leader on that team.

5th Pocket Presence and Management. One thing I dont think gets talked about enough is that at times his feet, mechanics and movement in the pocket are Peyton manning / Aaron Rodgers / Brady like. Seen multiple times where he gets early pressure .. shuffles up or around the pressure in the pocket... keeps his eyes down field ... sets his feet and rifles in a beauty. This to me is a combination of both escapability and feel for it.

6th Agressiveness - While he probably has most of his turn overs because of this ... I appreciate a QB who is willing to trust his arm and his team mates to make contested plays. I'd rather reign in a guy who has that aggressiveness than try to instill some of it in a captain check down.

7th ... Big games where he struggled ... at times he looked fine and like he belonged in these games, normally the wheels started to fall off when they got behind and he had to start forcing things and trying to play hero ball.

8th. ... Couldnt avoid talking about that arm strength ... lets him fit the ball in crazy windows down field and to the outside of the numbers at either sideline. And when hes got everything in sync hes made some throws Im confident none of the other 4 could have made.

Lastly.. Played in a pro style offense, did go through progressions , did maintain eyes down field when scrambling ... did look off safeties. His understanding of pro concepts and things he can and will be asked to do is more advanced than hes given credit for. Ive seen him throw people open and anticipate things (tho he does at times wait till his guy does come open because he knows his arm can get it there in time)

He's not a perfect prospect by any means, and I did like Mariota and Desean watson more because they were also consistent winners (also had great comparative rosters though). If i had to hang my career on one of these QBs It would be Allen though. I believe strongly that playing not to lose ... results in just that ... losing. Allen has one major question mark to me and thats accuracy, and even that one has been way blown out of proportion.

If he played at USC or UCLA or Oklahoma ... I dont think it would have been a question he would have easily been the no 1 QB this draft.

If Rosen or Darnold played at Wyoming Im not sure they wouldn't have come out broken prospects.

Archived