Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

9 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

He was very good at Guard and in week 17 started there with Neary playing Center.

I kind of feel like that's probably Blythe's future.  Allen gives someone who is honestly a Day 1 6th OL (you don't love having to play him at guard if you were forced to, but you can) and I can see where he has other qualities that McBae absolutely wants, particularly his sideline and locker room presence (he's a total glass-eater in that regard).  I had a comp on him of AQ Shipley and had actually talked as a little length with Jeff Risdon (Lions writer and podcaster) about this (because he was higher on Allen than most) and he liked the comp, too.  Yes, Shipley was a 7th round pick, but if you go back and compare to most of the other centers from that class, he's still in the league and many of them aren't; in a redraft he'd have gone considerably higher than the 7th.

Lets not forget we have 3 free agents on the OLine next year and the other two are 36 and 32. We've got a lot of guys to pay over the next couple of years. It's not surprising that we're drafting OLine right now. This not only improves our depth but could secure the future on rookie contracts. Wade also has said many times he really likes our LB corp, I'll trust in Wade.

Archived