Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I seriously doubt we spend big money on a free agent LG.  We have so much of our cap already tied into TWill and Moses, plus Scherff isn't cheap and will be getting even more expensive soon.  I think its more likely we target a legit #1 WR.  

I 100% agree with this. The only guard we are going to give big money to is the one we drafted 5th overall and have developed. If we signed a guard like Norwell that all but guarantees that we won’t be re-signing Scherff and when Scherff was healthy the first half of the year he was making great plays especially lead blocking for Chris Thompson on screens and outside zone plays. 

I’m not too interested in giving a free agent guard a contract that looks like David Dacastro’s, Osemele’s or more expensive. They both cost $11 million towards the cap. There’s no way in hell I want to pay that much for another teams guard even if they are an all-pro. I’d rather draft another guard and center to develop, re-sign Long and use our free agent cap space to re-sign Zach Brown, sign Kirk Cousins or another free agent qb, a wr in free agency and a nose tackle.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/david-decastro-9834/

David DeCastro signed a 5 year, $50,000,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including a $16,000,000 signing bonus, $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000. In 2018, DeCastro will earn a base salary of $3,790,000 and a roster bonus of $3,790,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,780,000 and a dead cap value of $9,600,000.

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why would signing Norwell mean we can't re-sign Scherff? That's silly. I'd much rather pay a guard than pay a WR. That's just me though. 

What team has over $20 million in cap space a year tied up in their starting guards? It’s a complete waste of resources. The position importance isn’t high enough to justify paying two guys $10 million or more a year.  Guards are important but you can find good guards to develop in the draft and find guards that cost half of what norwell will command who won’t be that far off from his play. We need to make other parts of our team stronger and continue to add young offensive line depth through the draft and develop them.

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What team has over $20 million in cap space a year tied up in their starting guards? It’s a complete waste of resources. The position importance isn’t high enough to justify paying two guys $10 million or more a year.  Guards are important but you can find good guards to develop in the draft and find guards that cost half of what norwell will command who won’t be that far off from his play. We need to make other parts of our team stronger and continue to add young offensive line depth through the draft and develop them.

If you can solve an issue with your team by signing a 26-year old All Pro and you thumb your nose up to it because other teams don't do it then that's simply stupid. You'd basically finish off your OL with 3 all-pros. And if Gruden and Callahan can't run the ball with that going on then they have absolutely no idea how to call a run game. 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:44 AM, Dashing202 said:

I just herd from a friend that Cousins parents live in Jacksonville . The Jaguars would have to release a few players to open up some cap .

It’s definitely possible that Cousins ends up in Jacksonville and then next year they are super bowl contenders.

Also, Denver is a team that would have to release a player or two to make room for Cousins.

The bottom line is the Redskins need an answe from Cousins as soon as possible if he’s serious about signing a long term deal here. Now, Cousins doesn’t owe them an answer, but I would hope that if asked he’d give them an honest answer.

The answer shouldn’t be a “I don’t know, or we’ll see again” like it seemed to be last offseason after McCloughan was stupidly relieved of his duties by Dan & Bruce.

If the two sides can’t come to an agreement over the next 6 weeks or so then if I’m the Redskins, I’d ask Kirk if he’d be open to a franchise tag and trade to a team that he wants to go to. I’d allow Kirk and McCartney to go negotiate a deal with let’s say the Broncos and on the Redskins side I’d let it be known to the Broncos that we are going to franchise Kirk again because he doesn’t want to sign a long term deal in DC but we are going to trade him and then I’d work out a deal with the Broncos for one of their defenders and a draft pick.

A trade that could work that comes to mind is Kirk Cousins to the Broncos for Brandon Marshall, their ILB and a 2nd round pick. That way the Redskins get a great starting ILB and a 2nd round pick for Cousins.

If it’s the Cardinals, Jags, Jets or Browns I’d do the same thing. With the cardinals we could trade for Deon Buchanan, the Jags Malik Jackson or Telvin Smith, the Jets Muhammad Wilkerson, the Browns Danny Shelton or another young defender with upside.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If you can solve an issue with your team by signing a 26-year old All Pro and you thumb your nose up to it because other teams don't do it then that's simply stupid. You'd basically finish off your OL with 3 all-pros. And if Gruden and Callahan can't run the ball with that going on then they have absolutely no idea how to call a run game. 

In principle I don’t disagree with you but we don’t need to spend $10 Plus million dollars a year on another teams guard in order to upgrade Shawn Lauvao. Again, poor allocation of our cap space.

If we sign Norwell we’d be spending $35 million on 4/5 of our OL next year and even more in 2019 and beyond after Scherff gets his 5th year option for 2019 and/or a new contract.

TWill - $14 million

Nowell - $10 Plus million

Roullier or Long - $500 k on Roullier or a million to two on Long

Scherff -  $6.75 million in 2018, $8 or $9 million in 2019 on his 5th year option and or a new deal which pays him as much as Norwell 

Moses - $5.5 million

Again, I’d rather invest that $11 million on re-signing Long to start at LG or a cheaper guard or sign a good NT, #1 type WR or stud ILB.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

In principle I don’t disagree with you but we don’t need to spend $10 Plus million dollars a year on another teams guard in order to upgrade Shawn Lauvao. Again, poor allocation of our cap space.

If we sign Norwell we’d be spending $35 million on 4/5 of our OL next year and even more in 2019 and beyond after Scherff gets his 5th year option for 2019 and/or a new contract.

TWill - $14 million

Nowell - $10 Plus million

Roullier or Long - $500 k on Roullier or a million to two on Long

Scherff -  $6.75 million in 2018, $8 or $9 million in 2019 on his 5th year option and or a new deal which pays him as much as Norwell 

Moses - $5.5 million

Again, I’d rather invest that $11 million on re-signing Long to start at LG or a cheaper guard or sign a good NT, #1 type WR or stud ILB.

I agree.  $35 mil is approximately 20% of the projected $178 mil salary cap.  5 players on the Oline account for only 10% of the total 51 personnel that count towards the cap.  Plus Scherff will be getting a raise soon making that even worse.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s definitely possible that Cousins ends up in Jacksonville and then next year they are super bowl contenders.

Also, Denver is a team that would have to release a player or two to make room for Cousins.

The bottom line is the Redskins need an answe from Cousins as soon as possible if he’s serious about signing a long term deal here. Now, Cousins doesn’t owe them an answer, but I would hope that if asked he’d give them an honest answer.

The answer shouldn’t be a “I don’t know, or we’ll see again” like it seemed to be last offseason after McCloughan was stupidly relieved of his duties by Dan & Bruce.

If the two sides can’t come to an agreement over the next 6 weeks or so then if I’m the Redskins, I’d ask Kirk if he’d be open to a franchise tag and trade to a team that he wants to go to. I’d allow Kirk and McCartney to go negotiate a deal with let’s say the Broncos and on the Redskins side I’d let it be known to the Broncos that we are going to franchise Kirk again because he doesn’t want to sign a long term deal in DC but we are going to trade him and then I’d work out a deal with the Broncos for one of their defenders and a draft pick.

A trade that could work that comes to mind is Kirk Cousins to the Broncos for Brandon Marshall, their ILB and a 2nd round pick. That way the Redskins get a great starting ILB and a 2nd round pick for Cousins.

If it’s the Cardinals, Jags, Jets or Browns I’d do the same thing. With the cardinals we could trade for Deon Buchanan, the Jags Malik Jackson or Telvin Smith, the Jets Muhammad Wilkerson, the Browns Danny Shelton or another young defender with upside.

Good post dude .:)??

I just think we are better off without Kirk . I think we do what the Jaguars and Vikings did and just build up depth everywhere . 

Bortles sucks and Keenum is good just cus of the team surrounding him . We do that we possibly go 10-6 even with a bad qb .A good team and coaching staff will do that for you.

No way no how can Cousins be tagged and traded..Fahgetaboutit. 

His agent would advise him to sign the tag and play it out another year so another team would be unwilling to take him on under those circumstances. What ever the amount of the tag-what $29 million???, is fine with Cousins and the agent.. Why wouldn't it be ? Then he's a free agent again.. WIN/ WIN .. 

The only way out of this nightmare is let him hit the market and deal with him like he's just another free agent . Decide how high to go. 

23 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

No way no how can Cousins be tagged and traded..Fahgetaboutit. 

His agent would advise him to sign the tag and play it out another year so another team would be unwilling to take him on under those circumstances. What ever the amount of the tag-what $29 million???, is fine with Cousins and the agent.. Why wouldn't it be ? Then he's a free agent again.. WIN/ WIN .. 

The only way out of this nightmare is let him hit the market and deal with him like he's just another free agent . Decide how high to go. 

The best option is the transition tag. Let him hit the market, and give the Skins 5 days to match. Period. Nice thing is the CBA doesnt allow the poison pill where a team could offer him 50M in the first year in which a team wont match and then severely drop his following year salaries to balance out the contract. But if its anywhere around 30M AAV, its likely the Redskins match. 

Archived