Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

I just think we are better off without Kirk . I think we do what the Jaguars and Vikings did and just build up depth everywhere . 

Bortles sucks and Keenum is good just cus of the team surrounding him . We do that we possibly go 10-6 even with a bad qb .A good team and coaching staff will do that for you.

It could be true, but in the case of the Jags the only reason they got by the Bills is because the bills offense is also not good. The Jags play in an extremely week division which helped them win that division and host a playoff game. They’re also extremely likely to be one win and done where I believe if they Redskins had drafted better over the last 5 years and signed a few better free agents that we’d be in a better spot than the Bills, Vikings and Jags  because of Kirk.

The Vikings had a lot of young talent that they’ve drafted over the last 3 to 5 years who have developed. 

So, it’s true we could do what they did but given who is running our front office I’d say it’s unlikey. We have Bruce Allen, not Rick Spielman/Mike Zimmer for Minny and Tom Coughlin for Jax.

3 minutes ago, mike23md said:

The best option is the transition tag. Let him hit the market, and give the Skins 5 days to match. Period. Nice thing is the CBA doesnt allow the poison pill where a team could offer him 50M in the first year in which a team wont match and then severely drop his following year salaries to balance out the contract. But if its anywhere around 30M AAV, its likely the Redskins match. 

He'll just sign the tag and stay .. another nightmare one year deal .

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Transition tag doesn't work that way. 

He will have to sign the tag if he wants to talk with other teams. If an offer sheet is given, the Redskins have right of first refusal within 5 days to match the contract or let Cousins walk. The transition tag is 28M. Franchise tag is 34.5M. 

We have plenty of cap room to pay a franchise QB 30M AAV. And the number is only going to go up. 

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It could be true, but in the case of the Jags the only reason they got by the Bills is because the bills offense is also not good. The Jags play in an extremely week division which helped them win that division and host a playoff game. They’re also extremely likely to be one and done where I believe if they redksins had drafted better over the last 5 years and signed a few better free agents that we’d be in a better spot than both of them because of Kirk.

The Vikings had a lot of young talent that they’ve drafted over the last 3 to 5 years who have developed. 

So, it’s true we could do what they did but given who is running our front office I’d say it’s unlikey. We have Bruce Allen, not Rick Spielman/Mike Zimmer for Minny and Tom Coughlin for Jax.

Cousins will not be going to Jax. They have stated this and said that Bortles is the QB of the future. During his 2 hour interview with Grant and Danny, Cousins never mentioned Jax as a place to vacation or visit. They have a place in Atlanta. He had flown in from Michigan. He rents a house in D.C. and his inlaws live in Atlanta in which he stays with them for part of the off season. 

Denver doesnt have money to sign him. 

The only teams right now are Cleveland, Minnesota, and NY Jets that actually need a QB. 

2 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Transition tag doesn't work that way. 

He will have to sign the tag if he wants to talk with other teams. If an offer sheet is given, the Redskins have right of first refusal within 5 days to match the contract or let Cousins walk. The transition tag is 28M. Franchise tag is 34.5M. 

We have plenty of cap room to pay a franchise QB 30M AAV. And the number is only going to go up. 

BUT--he can refuse to negoiate with another team ,, and just sign ,,and play under the Tag with the Redskins!

54 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

No way no how can Cousins be tagged and traded..Fahgetaboutit. 

His agent would advise him to sign the tag and play it out another year so another team would be unwilling to take him on under those circumstances. What ever the amount of the tag-what $29 million???, is fine with Cousins and the agent.. Why wouldn't it be ? Then he's a free agent again.. WIN/ WIN .. 

The only way out of this nightmare is let him hit the market and deal with him like he's just another free agent . Decide how high to go. 

The 2018 franchise tag for Kirk is $34 million, the transition tag is $28.8 I believe or near $29 million when you round up.

With the transition tag we don’t control his rights execept being able to match any contract offer he gets and we wouldn’t get any compensation if we lose him or chose not to match the other teams offer. With the non-exclusive franchise tag we could still trade him because we’d control his rights. 

You could be right, but if Kirk is tagged and traded this offseason he gets to go to a team he wants to go to which wants him and he’d have more security.

Teams such as the Broncos, Cardinals and Jags could see themselves as a qb away from being a super bowl contender again and why wait another year if you could like game etc that donw this offseason?

For those teams and for Kirk it would make sense to get Kirk now and if Kirk wants a chance to go from mediocre to a deep playoff run, he could want to go to those teams sooner rather than later.

The problem with just letting him hit the open market without any tag on him is that  we don’t control his rights at all, we have no ability to match his offer to keep him and he doesn’t even have to negotiate with us. If we just let him hit the open market and he doesn’t negotiate with us and leaves the best we will do is a 2019 3rd round compensatory pick which, isn’t the worst thing in the world but I believe we’d could do better than that if we franchise tagged him and traded him to a team where he wanted to go and they wanted him.

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

Cousins will not be going to Jax. They have stated this and said that Bortles is the QB of the future. During his 2 hour interview with Grant and Danny, Cousins never mentioned Jax as a place to vacation or visit. They have a place in Atlanta. He had flown in from Michigan. He rents a house in D.C. and his inlaws live in Atlanta in which he stays with them for part of the off season. 

Denver doesnt have money to sign him. 

The only teams right now are Cleveland, Minnesota, and NY Jets that actually need a QB. 

I hope we are all smart enough to realize that what teams and players say before and during free agency is usually hogwash!

Denver would have the money to acquire Cousins if they traded a player for him, that was in my post about this. They would trade one of their high priced defenders like Brandon Marshall in the deal.

Arizona needs a quarterback and so does Buffalo.  There are certainly more scenarios out there than just Cle, NYJ & Minny. In fact, I don’t even believe Minny is an option, I think it’s almost a 100% guarantee they’ll re-sign Keenum on a cheaper deal than what Cousins will command or franchise him if he won’t sign a long term deal with them.

Kirk won’t take a dime less than the Stafford deal! 

The number is 5 year 28.5 mil  100 mil guaranteed. 

Unless the front office is willing to pay....we might as well take the 2019 3rd and let him walk! There is no point and offering anything less!

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It could be true, but in the case of the Jags the only reason they got by the Bills is because the bills offense is also not good. The Jags play in an extremely week division which helped them win that division and host a playoff game. They’re also extremely likely to be one and done where I believe if they redksins had drafted better over the last 5 years and signed a few better free agents that we’d be in a better spot than both of them because of Kirk.

The bills have a good defense . And the Jaguars dominated them defensively . They can beat the steelers again as well . The patriots would be a big test because there D comes up big in playoff games .

lets build this team up than draft a qb . Worst case our rookie sucks " BUT " we have a lot of talent around . Signing kirkcousons prevents us from getting good depth on this team and potential starters . Schreff probably will be the highest paid Guard and Crowder will command bread . Zach brown will get his contract to so we need to think about those things . 

Bruce Allen isn't the best Gm . But we did a good job signing Brown and Swearinger . Pryor was a good move had it worked out . Draft wise was more for depth and Nicholson wasn't to bad . 

6 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

Kirk won’t take a dime less than the Stafford deal! 

The number is 5 year 28.5 mil  100 mil guaranteed. 

Unless the front office is willing to pay....we might as well take the 2019 3rd and let him walk! There is no point and offering anything less!

Yep, and it’s really NOT as expensive as people think, at least not the first few seasons.

If we sign Kirk to a long term deal his cap hit next year should be under $20 million - just like Matt Safford was in 2017 - and then got up a few million each year for the life of the contract.

When Stafford signed his contract he got his $50 million signing bonus up front but that’s prorated over the 5 years of the contract. 

In 2017 Stafford’s cap hit was only $16.5 million because his base salary was $1 million while the signing bonus counted $15.5 million against the cap.

We could do something similar with Kirk in 2018, make his base salary $2 or 3 million and his signing bonus can count $15 million towards the cap so his 2018 cap hit would be $17 or 18 million or $7 to 6 million less than his cap hit was this year and even $2 or 3 million less than his cap hit was in 2016.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $135,000,000
Signing Bonus $50,000,000
Average Salary $27,000,000
Total Guarantees $92,000,000
Guaranteed at Signing $60,500,000
Free Agent: 2023 / UFA

3 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

The bills have a good defense . And the Jaguars dominated them defensively . They can beat the steelers again as well . The patriots would be a big test because there D comes up big in playoff games .

lets build this team up than draft a qb . Worst case our rookie sucks " BUT " we have a lot of talent around . Signing kirkcousons prevents us from getting good depth on this team and potential starters . Schreff probably will be the highest paid Guard and Crowder will command bread . Zach brown will get his contract to so we need to think about those things . 

Bruce Allen isn't the best Gm . But we did a good job signing Brown and Swearinger . Pryor was a good move had it worked out . Draft wise was more for depth and Nicholson wasn't to bad . 

But we have a qb! And we can build around him through the draft and by signing a few good free agents each offseason for the life of Cousins’ contract.

Why should we wait 2 or 3 years to find the next one when we have Cousins? We have an answer, why go searching for another answer when we already have an answer?

We can still draft more good defensive players like Jonathan Allen etc, and support players for Cousins on offense like the good ones we’ve drafted over the last 4 years. We Can still draft/sign a starting running back, a draft/sign some upgrades and depth on defense, draft/sign an upgrade at LG or preferably re-sign Spencer Long and draft/sign starting WR to put opposite Doctson within the next few offseasons also and we’ll still have some free cap space every offseason to sign a few good free agents each offseason.

I don’t know why it’s lost on you that just because we found a good to great QB that we’re going to have to pay him around what we’ve been paying him the last two offseasons, that that doesn’t mean we can’t continue to build a good young team around him through the draft and with a few free agent upgrades each offseason.

Back and forth between me and a Broncos fan. I’d be all for trading Cousins to the Broncos and in return get Demarius Thomas to start opposite Doctson and get Talib to start opposite Norman.

I mean, wow!  

If the Broncos are looking to unload Thomas and Talib then I think we’d all gladly take them in return for Kirk Cousins.

Then, we can sign or draft a FA QB to compete with McCoy and draft or sign players to fill the other positions we need. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Back and forth between me and a Broncos fan. I’d be all for trading Cousins to the Broncos and in return get Demarius Thomas to start opposite Doctson and get Talib to start opposite Norman.

I mean, wow!  

If the Broncos are looking to unload Thomas and Talib then I think we’d all gladly take them in return for Kirk Cousins.

Then, we can sign or draft a FA QB to compete with McCoy and draft or sign players to fill the other positions we need. 

Never know we could get lucky and get somebody in the draft that comes in and just gets it. The really good ones can do that you never know it’s a gamble but talon is excellent I love his game but I don’t want to hinder Fuller I think he’s a future star!!!

Archived