Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The truth from Mccloughan finally comes out. He never wanted to pay Cousins the $19m on the franchise tag even. He talked about trading Kirk as I remember becsuse Kirk wouldn’t take an on average $16.5 M per year contract.

Considering our current predicament trading him would have been the smart thing to do.

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Considering our current predicament trading him would have been the smart thing to do.

Or, signing him to a deal that pays him on average $20 million a year where his cap hit in 2016 would have been less than the franchise tag and his cap hit in 2017 would have been around the cap hit of the 2016 franchise tag.

We could have saved ourselves $10 million in cap space the last two years if we had just paid a little more on a long term deal and signed Kirk long term in 2016.

The truth seems to be that no one in the organization wanted to sign Kirk to a fair market long term deal in 2016 which, used to be the narrative until McCloughan was fired. 

8 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Jesus 

Could be less, but that’s cheaper than franchising Kirk this year and then having to give him a long term deal.

That would cost $34 million this year and then $90 plus million guaranteed next offseason.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Or, signing him to a deal that pays him on average $20 million a year where his cap hit in 2016 would have been less than the franchise tag and his cap hit in 2017 would have been around the cap hit of the 2016 franchise tag.

We could have saved ourselves $10 million in cap space the last two years if we had just paid a little more on a long term deal and signed Kirk long term in 2016.

The truth seems to be that no one in the organization wanted to sign Kirk to a fair market long term deal in 2016 which, used to be the narrative until McCloughan was fired. 

Cousins said in his recent interview that he was never going to accept a deal like that. He wanted to play on the two franchise tags, he was never going to sign a below market team friendly deal.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Cousins said in his recent interview that he was never going to accept a deal like that. He wanted to play on the two franchise tags, he was never going to sign a below market team friendly deal.

This was in 2016, before he was franchised I believe where Cousins’ agent presented a counter to the redskins offer which paid Cousins on average $20 million a year. Then, the team countered with a deal that paid Cousins an avg of $16.5 mil a year, Cousins turned it down and shortly after that the Redskins tagged Cousins. 

Then, McCloughan had a press conference about it and he even brought up possibly trading him. 

I distinctly remember because I just couldn’t believe what McCloughan was saying.

13 minutes ago, mike23md said:

The question I think about is, "Would Cousins accept a 3 year deal at $90M Fully guaranteed?" 30M AAV. 

Taking the 1 year deals allows him to get a pay raise instead of a diminishing contract and no guarantees. 

I think he would. Joel Corey and that’s other guy that did the interview that used to work for the Eagles seemed to believe that is what Kirk is looking for. Kirk kind of stumbled into it, because it wasn’t his plan in 2016 but now some believe that Kirk wants to be the first player in the salary cap era to get a fully guaranteed contract beyond being tagged.

"He's a good player," McCloughan told 104.3 The Fan. "Is he special? I don't see special." McCloughan added that when he first tagged Cousins in 2016, Washington was "building a roster around him to make him special." While Cousins is "talented" and he "works his tail off", McCloughan warned that for Cousins to succeed, a team needs more than just the signal-caller."

I'll be honest we are overrating Kirk cousins a lot . What makes you think mayfield or or any qb we will draft won't be better for us .

Because of our past qbs lol? Our FO like it or not it's way better than the Cerritos era . Our team craps on the Ramsey or Campbell teams they where on .

kirk is an okay qb you can't deny what happend in the Chargers or giant games or the early Vikings game . He won't bring us a SB, we need to move on the eagles did that ... they got rid of Mcnabb lol a proven qb and Vick another proven qb .

lets take the risk .. raise your hand if you see us winning a SB with Kirk. If we aim right with a qb this draft we can potentially invest on more pieces and really help this squad . SM is right .. kirks a dude you need things around he isn't Brady or Brees he's on a alex smith level .

I like Mayfield and Jackson... Mayfield had those eyes man . He completely isn't nervous or afraid and that tells a lot about him . I like Jackson because he's super athelthic and when he steps up it takes his time.

guys don't bring Kirk back and what's funny is some of us said we are just a 8-8/9-7 type team with him and Gruden .

dont be afraid to take risks we did it with rg3 we should and will do it with Kirk cousins . We are getter more consistent record wise we just need a qb that can take us over the hump .

9 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

I'll be honest we are overrating Kirk cousins a lot . What makes you think mayfield or or any qb we will draft won't be better for us .

Because of our past qbs lol? Our FO like it or not it's way better than the Cerritos era . Our team craps on the Ramsey or Campbell teams they where on .

kirk is an okay qb you can't deny what happend in the Chargers or giant games or the early Vikings game . He won't bring us a SB, we need to move on the eagles did that ... they got rid of Mcnabb lol a proven qb and Vick another proven qb .

lets take the risk .. raise your hand if you see us winning a SB with Kirk. If we aim right with a qb this draft we can potentially invest on more pieces and really help this squad . SM is right .. kirks a dude you need things around he isn't Brady or Brees he's on a alex smith level .

I like Mayfield and Jackson... Mayfield had those eyes man . He completely isn't nervous or afraid and that tells a lot about him . I like Jackson because he's super athelthic and when he steps up it takes his time.

guys don't bring Kirk back and what's funny is some of us said we are just a 8-8/9-7 type team with him and Gruden .

dont be afraid to take risks we did it with rg3 we should and will do it with Kirk cousins . We are getter more consistent record wise we just need a qb that can take us over the hump .

We aren’t overrating Kirk. Kirk is a top 10 qb, that the truth. There is no guarantee that any qb available in the draft or a free agent will produce like Kirk has with no running game and a bad defense the lasts 3 years.

The current roster does nor “Crap on” the top 10 defenses we had in 04, 05, 07 and 08. The Kelley & Perine aren’t better than Portis and Betts. We didn’t a receiver as good a starter moss this past year and we don’t have a TE as complete as not only a receiver, but also as a blocker as Cooley.

Haha! The eagles moved McNabb because they made the smart move and gave Vick a chance out of prison like many of us wanted to do. That’s not equivalent to anything else in the history of the Nfl.

I’d rather have a vet qb than to start all over with a qb that may take 3 to 5 years to developinto into a top 10 qb like Kirk  - if they ever do - it seems to me the smartest move is to re-sign the vet QB, draft a starting RB and address our defensive and starting WR issues in the draft and free agency.

Rg3 was lightning in a bottle, or a flash in the the pan, he was here, go to injured and was gone. We didn’t take a risk on Cousins we should take the risk on him now.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We aren’t overrating Kirk. Kirk is a top 10 qb, that the truth. There is no guarantee that any qb available in the draft or a free agent will produce like Kirk has with no running game and a bad defense the lasts 3 years.

The current roster does nor “Crap on” the top 10 defenses we had in 04, 05, 07 and 08. The Kelley & Perine aren’t better than Portis and Betts. We didn’t a receiver as good a starter moss this past year and we don’t have a TE as complete as not only a receiver, but also as a blocker as Cooley.

Haha! The eagles moved McNabb because they made the smart move and gave Vick a chance out of prison like many of us wanted to do. That’s not equivalent to anything else in the history of the Nfl.

I’d rather have a vet qb than to start all over with a qb that may take 3 to 5 years to developinto into a top 10 qb like Kirk  - if they ever do - it seems to me the smartest move is to re-sign the vet QB, draft a starting RB and address our defensive and starting WR issues in the draft and free agency.

Rg3 was lightning in a bottle, or a flash in the the pan, he was here, go to injured and was gone. We didn’t take a risk on Cousins we should take the risk on him now.

Kirk isn't top ten this year , idk why you guys keep saying that . And turtle your kidding me ? There's been qbs that been proven to be good within there first or second season.

10 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Kirk isn't top ten this year , idk why you guys keep saying that . And turtle your kidding me ? There's been qbs that been proven to be good within there first or second season.

Sure he was top 10, definitely top 12.

I’m not saying we won’t draft a qb and it won’t work I just don’t think it’s likely, the probability is not high. 

I also don’t know why you insist on creating a problem when we have the problem solved. We have an answer at QB, no need in creating a hole there. Keep your good qb who’s been trending upwards for 5 years and continue to build around him through the draft and with targeted FAs to fill your few holes. Re-sign your own and go forward.

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

A Candle in a sea of darkness. 

Archived