Suh Watch

titans0021

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Considering the Jets ran better, caught, better, and threw better... You think they were the ones winning a playoff game and us picking in the top 3.

I get that teams can and do improve their record from one year yo another (us 2 years ago, jags last year)... But the Rams, Titans, and Saints are gearing up for a SB run. The Jets, with McCown and Teddy, are hoping to get to .500 next season... Huge difference in tiers... Huge...

And one could easily argue that we only got as far as we did because of an easy schedule,  Deshuan Watson getting hurt midseason, and Andrew Luck not playing. We have yet to beat either of those QB's.

I can see looking at the result and thinking this team is a superbowl contender, but having looked at the actual team play ball, I recognize that this team could just as easily revert back to 6-10 as they could go 10-6.

6 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

And one could easily argue that we only got as far as we did because of an easy schedule,  Deshuan Watson getting hurt midseason, and Andrew Luck not playing. We have yet to beat either of those QB's.

I can see looking at the result and thinking this team is a superbowl contender, but having looked at the actual team play ball, I recognize that this team could just as easily revert back to 6-10 as they could go 10-6.

Maybe if the team is the same as last year, bit its not. The coaching staff alone... And I tried as much as anyone to try to stay positive/neutral about Whiz and the rest... But the potential... Its not even potential, more of a certainty... Of where the offense is headed makes us a serious contender.

In the NFL, it usually starts and ends with the QB... Unless there's an elite unit to support that. McCown is limited... We know what he is. Bridgewater is limited... And thought that before the injury. Even with Suh, they dont have an elite defense... So trying to say they're the next team to make that jump is pretty far fetched...

The whole schedule thing has also been used as an escape goat. The reality is the AFC is weak outside the Pats and Steelers. The Jags essentially played the same schedule as us... Finished with one more regular season win and got one round further than we did. The Texans and Colts also played the same schedule.

Even in his amazing short season, Watson was 3-4, with 2 wins against the Bengals and Browns... And the 3rd during that perfect storm against us. But I'm supposed to be afraid of the Texans with key players coming off significant injuries, with no picks until the 3rd round, and now with NFL tape on that QB... Who's coming back form his 2nd ACL tear in 2 years.

And I'm supposed to be afraid of the Colts? Probably the worst roster in the NFL... With Luck maybe coming back, and even if he does, comes back with serious concerns about his shoulder.

Why is it that other teams improve, but we haven't? We replaced our biggest weakness, and I understand some are hesitant since the new staff may lack experience, we have an OC who has a long track record of helping improve offenses and QBs. We will go as far as Mariota will take us... And from my perspective, we're putting him in the best position, the best opportunity since hes been a pro.  

18 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Maybe if the team is the same as last year, bit its not. The coaching staff alone... And I tried as much as anyone to try to stay positive/neutral about Whiz and the rest... But the potential... Its not even potential, more of a certainty... Of where the offense is headed makes us a serious contender.

In the NFL, it usually starts and ends with the QB... Unless there's an elite unit to support that. McCown is limited... We know what he is. Bridgewater is limited... And thought that before the injury. Even with Suh, they dont have an elite defense... So trying to say they're the next team to make that jump is pretty far fetched...

The whole schedule thing has also been used as an escape goat. The reality is the AFC is weak outside the Pats and Steelers. The Jags essentially played the same schedule as us... Finished with one more regular season win and got one round further than we did. The Texans and Colts also played the same schedule.

Even in his amazing short season, Watson was 3-4, with 2 wins against the Bengals and Browns... And the 3rd during that perfect storm against us. But I'm supposed to be afraid of the Texans with key players coming off significant injuries, with no picks until the 3rd round, and now with NFL tape on that QB... Who's coming back form his 2nd ACL tear in 2 years.

And I'm supposed to be afraid of the Colts? Probably the worst roster in the NFL... With Luck maybe coming back, and even if he does, comes back with serious concerns about his shoulder.

Why is it that other teams improve, but we haven't? We replaced our biggest weakness, and I understand some are hesitant since the new staff may lack experience, we have an OC who has a long track record of helping improve offenses and QBs. We will go as far as Mariota will take us... And from my perspective, we're putting him in the best position, the best opportunity since hes been a pro.  

I love the passion and you make valid points on all accounts . However we got our butts wooped against Watson and those Texanslast year  and our oranazation has Never beat Andrew Luck . It's not twice or 3 times , we haven't beat the guy in 5/6 years . This team should be better , and I do think we will be 9-7 or better but I wouldn't be suprised either if we went 6-10. Arguably the hardest division in football now and let's not forget our QB had more interceptions then touchdowns last year , if that was any of our division rivals qbs we would all have a field day with that one . 

Im not trying to be a negative Nancy but as much talent as we have , there's also a lot of uncertainty starting with our rookie head coach . I'm as excited as anyone about next year but I'm not crowning us Afc champs before we see this team on the field . 

I won’t even be mad if he chooses the Jets. He’s a complete joke to just go an take all the money and continue to not see what January football is all about. 

If he chooses the Rams or Saints it stings a little because that becomes a slight dig to the Titans in the sense off he just doesn’t believe in the coaches and players and still thinks we are just an average team to some degree. Atleast if he goes to the Rams or Saints he shows he’s trying to win and it’s not all just about the money 

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

All this basically. 

Would add more. But you already said it perfectly regarding our division and the great Watson. 

Teams can turn it around quickly. With the right moves and coaching hires. Ex: Rams. It wasn't all mcvay. It was Wade Phillips, additions to the offensive line. Basically 3 news starting WRs and new coach. 

Jets haven't done that. Same staff almost and questionable QB play. Despite the comparison with Mariota and McCown. I don't think you will find one GM that would take him over Marcus. 

Jets aren't where we are. And that's not even two tone glasses talk. It's the truth. We are a better team with a better immediate future. 

If Suh picks them over any of the other teams. It's a money play in my eyes. 

People are too concerned about Vrabel being a rookie HC and his staff, but I'm not.  Vrabel might be new to being HC, but he's neither new to the NFL, nor is he new to knowing how to win.  And he's worked with and learned from the best during his time.   He's got proven trustworthy coordinators and assistants whom he feels can actually TEACH the players, and "maximize" their skills.  That was something the last coaching staff couldn't do, which is why they're no longer with us. 
The thing is, nobody knows what we have in store.  Nobody knows what kind of schemes we'll run on either side of the ball.  Nobody has any idea of how we'll attack or how to stop us.  Unlike Mularkey's schemes and game plan, opponents won't be able to just sit back and study us for 10-15 minutes and figure out our whole playbook.  They're gonna have to adjust and re-adjust and hope it works. 

Yes we'll have to face a returning Watson and Luck twice a year, but let's not sell ourselves short.  Our division rivals will have problems of their own when they have to face a new and improved Mariota operating an even better offense.  If he was already hard enough to deal with while trying to run a lame duck offense (that was slowly killing him IMO) and some poor QB mechanics, what will he be like with improved mechanics and running an offense that plays to his strengths?  Just think about all of that.  I have no reason to believe we won't be serious contenders for a Super Bowl run (Suh or no Suh).

6 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

I love the passion and you make valid points on all accounts . However we got our butts wooped against Watson and those Texanslast year  and our oranazation has Never beat Andrew Luck . It's not twice or 3 times , we haven't beat the guy in 5/6 years . This team should be better , and I do think we will be 9-7 or better but I wouldn't be suprised either if we went 6-10. Arguably the hardest division in football now and let's not forget our QB had more interceptions then touchdowns last year , if that was any of our division rivals qbs we would all have a field day with that one . 

Im not trying to be a negative Nancy but as much talent as we have , there's also a lot of uncertainty starting with our rookie head coach . I'm as excited as anyone about next year but I'm not crowning us Afc champs before we see this team on the field . 

We didn't play Luck last year... And while what you said is true... Both these teams are very different than they were 2 years ago. Simply put, the Colts roster has been decimated. Honestly, outside Luck and Hilton, can you name any starter of theirs? There was also a meme going around last week showing the difference between our secondary in 2016 and our secondary now... That's a microcosm of what kinda transformation our roster has been through since JRob took over.

And this is assuming Luck comes back at the same level he was at before the shoulder surgery... An injury that was lingering since a few years back. Much has been made of Mariotas games missed... But Luck has missed more games than he's played the past 3 seasons... 22 games played (thats games played, not games completed, btw) and 26 missed games.

Now the Texans game... That was a debacle. But like I said, it was a perfect storm. Watson started on fire since the get go, but the score was 24-14 when Mariota suffered his injury (even though he wasn't pulled until the half). The game got away from us... Its like the team gave up on the coaches... And they killed us. But I think that highlighted the coaching deficiencies... It was a game the players could not overcome it. It was a horrible game... But I believe we've fixed the number one reason for that debacle. Also, when we put our run together at the end of the season, Mariota may have taken a lot of the play calling duties from Biscuits. Maybe... But I think the rumors are augmented by the play on the field. 

As for Watson, everyone assumes Watson is going to continue and take over where he left off. And he can... The kid showed a ton of promise in those 7 games. But the NFL now has tape on him, and that can go a long way. Vrabel probably has some insight into the keys to his success as well. But more importantly to me is the injury. This is his 2nd in 3 years. And its not an injury that everyone automatically comes back from. And theres no denying a lot of his success is predicated on his ability to take off and run (at the very least, the threat of him taking off and running). RG3 had a similar injury after a rookie of the year season, and he was never the same. Maybe Watson fares better... Maybe not. Throw in the fact that they dont have a pick until the 3rd and that they haven't added anything significant in FA other than Matthieu, and well, I'm not sure they'll rebound like most think they will. Watt will help, but after missing 2 years, what can they honestly expect there? I have a hard time seeing him get close to the all world level he was at in 2016.

As far as Mariota's stats... I stated all year that was misleading. All season long I kept saying Mariota was having some bad luck with his ints. The number of bad passes he was making wasn't that high... They just seemed to end up as ints at a much higher rate than the norm. PFF put up stats later that confirmed that feeling. 

But like I said earlier, the biggest reason for our stagnant offense and stats has been fixed. The coach, scheme, and play calling has all been changed... Not just changed... But upgraded. Thats the key here. Mariota will be playing in a scheme tailored to him finally. The scheme will get players open, not forcing to make perfect passes every single drop back... PFF also put up some stat that showed Mariota was one of the league leaders in throwing passes in a tight window/and success on such throws.

25 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Da fuq is this clown. Saints have what 1-2 yrs left of Brees and before last season they were pretty mediocre with 3 seasons straight of 7-9 even with Brees.

10-8 = winning team 

That dude's a joke... lame attempt trying to get attention.

I think it's very telling that Suh narrowed down his list to the Rams and Titans.  If the Rams are option 1a... we're close as option 1B.  The Jets were brought up by Suh... and I think it's very telling that he himself put that info out there... but it's a classic case of trying to get slightly more money in that best and final offer stage of this contract negotiation.  Rams and Titans are probably pretty close in money and he's trying to see if one takes the bait and distinguishes themselves from the other.   If he was serious about the Jets' offer, he'd have signed it instead of tweeting that lil' nugget.  

We may not get him... but that will keep us a little under the radar.  It's no biggie other than these morons just sounding dumb and probably getting on our nerves from time to time.

6 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We didn't play Luck last year... And while what you said is true... Both these teams are very different than they were 2 years ago. Simply put, the Colts roster has been decimated. Honestly, outside Luck and Hilton, can you name any starter of theirs? There was also a meme going around last week showing the difference between our secondary in 2016 and our secondary now... That's a microcosm of what kinda transformation our roster has been through since JRob took over.

And this is assuming Luck comes back at the same level he was at before the shoulder surgery... An injury that was lingering since a few years back. Much has been made of Mariotas games missed... But Luck has missed more games than he's played the past 3 seasons... 22 games played (thats games played, not games completed, btw) and 26 missed games.

Now the Texans game... That was a debacle. But like I said, it was a perfect storm. Watson started on fire since the get go, but the score was 24-14 when Mariota suffered his injury (even though he wasn't pulled until the half). The game got away from us... Its like the team gave up on the coaches... And they killed us. But I think that highlighted the coaching deficiencies... It was a game the players could not overcome it. It was a horrible game... But I believe we've fixed the number one reason for that debacle. Also, when we put our run together at the end of the season, Mariota may have taken a lot of the play calling duties from Biscuits. Maybe... But I think the rumors are augmented by the play on the field. 

As for Watson, everyone assumes Watson is going to continue and take over where he left off. And he can... The kid showed a ton of promise in those 7 games. But the NFL now has tape on him, and that can go a long way. Vrabel probably has some insight into the keys to his success as well. But more importantly to me is the injury. This is his 2nd in 3 years. And its not an injury that everyone automatically comes back from. And theres no denying a lot of his success is predicated on his ability to take off and run (at the very least, the threat of him taking off and running). RG3 had a similar injury after a rookie of the year season, and he was never the same. Maybe Watson fares better... Maybe not. Throw in the fact that they dont have a pick until the 3rd and that they haven't added anything significant in FA other than Matthieu, and well, I'm not sure they'll rebound like most think they will. Watt will help, but after missing 2 years, what can they honestly expect there? I have a hard time seeing him get close to the all world level he was at in 2016.

As far as Mariota's stats... I stated all year that was misleading. All season long I kept saying Mariota was having some bad luck with his ints. The number of bad passes he was making wasn't that high... They just seemed to end up as ints at a much higher rate than the norm. PFF put up stats later that confirmed that feeling. 

But like I said earlier, the biggest reason for our stagnant offense and stats has been fixed. The coach, scheme, and play calling has all been changed... Not just changed... But upgraded. Thats the key here. Mariota will be playing in a scheme tailored to him finally. The scheme will get players open, not forcing to make perfect passes every single drop back... PFF also put up some stat that showed Mariota was one of the league leaders in throwing passes in a tight window/and success on such throws.

I agree with everything you've said man , I really do . It's just incredibly hard for me as a 20 year long die hard fan to all of a sudden think this team has made the jump to an elite team. On paper we have the talent and potential and  we can't do any worse then Mularkeys crew last year so there's only going up from there.  

And the Titans fan in me wants to crown them Afc south champs already, a team ready to play and beat the pats and a d tackle named Suh away from having the best d in the league but until we consistently beat teams we should and create an identity then I just can't drink the cool aide. I understand fans are incredibly happy with the Chiefs playoff win and the butler/Lewis signings but this is the same team who started 8-3 last year and finished 9-7 floundering down the stretch. Mariota is going into year 4 and is on his 3rd head coach already , our all pro right tackle tore his acl 2 months ago, and our top 5 pick last year missed more games then he played. 

I might sound like Dennis Quaid in Major League 2 but I feel they'll always "blow it in the ninth". And to be fair this team has never done anything to say otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I went to a Sean Paul concert I come home and this guy still hasn’t picked a team. I didn’t check twitter for like 3 hours I thought for sure he would have a team by now 

Sean Paul in 2018? Hahah

Archived