2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Darnold is light years ahead of Sanchez.

He’s my #1 player, but would need to go to 1 to get him, so he’s pretty much off the list.

He might go 1, could see him falling too, i dont think hes the best Qb in this class though. he is going to need development. 

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Combine invite list is out.

WR Daurice Fountain, RB Ito Smith, OLB/DE Marcell Frazier and OLB/DE Justin Lawler are not invited.  Not cool.

RB Roc Thomas and a bunch of "interesting in" TEs are in. 

It's a shame Daurice isn't there.  That dude would have lit it up.

27 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why shouldn't the Jets look at a QB with potential through the roof, that makes no sense.  A team desperate for a good QB should be looking at a talent like Jackson in fact not worrying about what an impulsive fan base thinks.  That line of thinking is likely why we haven't had a franchise QB is decades.

We've given plenty of time to Sanchez, Geno, etc over the years and now we are doing/did the same with Hack/Petty.  We red shirted Hack two seasons, how is that not patient.  Jackson would be just fine here if we went out and got a solid stop gap QB like Tyrod (who I would go after if we did land Jackson).  Similar styles of QB play would make the transition would be seamless.  Tyrod has proven he can lead a good supporting cast to the playoffs so we could still make a playoff push and groom Jackson for a year behind Tyrod.  Tyrod's deal could have an out after 2 years so when Jackson is ready we cut ties and move on or just get stuck with him as a high paid back up for 1 season if Jackson is ready quickly.  I'm of the mind that Jackson isn't some 2 year project and he could thrive in year 1 at QB.  It's ideal to ease him in but god given ability is enough to start him day 1.  You do a lot of spread and RPO type plays and keep the throws easy he'll be fine.  When the play breaks down he'd be at his best anyway.

Bates is viewed as a bright offensive mind by many well respected players/coaches so just dismissing Jackson because he isn't exactly what Bates previously worked with is a terrible idea.  He's not my 1st choice but I would be happy to have him.  If you don't think he'll be a good QB that's fine but I do and if the opportunity presents itself I'd take him without hesitation.  I'm not the GM though and Mac is so he might write him off because he's not what he's looking for at the QB.  I'm just saying that's a dumb on Mac's part if he does.

I get he's not a typical Mac QB type (see Hack selection) but if you think he can play and we miss on Cousins, can't trade up, and none of the top QB's drop to 6 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield) then I'd make sure to take him at 6 over Josh Allen.  

I'm on putting my name on it, Jackson will be a very good NFL QB.

His potential is high but his bust potential is as well, he's truly a hit or miss prospect. Jets are not in the position to take that gamble at 6 and he'll likely be gone later in the first round anyway. I said the fan base is not patient not the organization. Tyrod is nothing like Jackson, they have one thing in common and it isn't football related. Bates does not implement spread nor RPO plays and you want us to build an offense around a guy who may or may not be great, thats where the risk comes into play.

Jackson would be a terrible pick IMO, we could go so many other ways and improve this team.

15 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Darnold would be a good fit as well, but Baker's accuracy on the run is a step above the rest IMO.

Yeah Mayfield seemed to be more accurate but I'd argue he went against the weakest defenses of them all though he did shred Georgia in the Rose Bowl.

Size, arm strength and "immaturity"(see quotes) may be the reason Jets aren't exactly keen on him.

42 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Yeah Mayfield seemed to be more accurate but I'd argue he went against the weakest defenses of them all though he did shred Georgia in the Rose Bowl.

Size, arm strength and "immaturity"(see quotes) may be the reason Jets aren't exactly keen on him.

I think we are going to be hot for Baker, gut feeling.

29 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think we are going to be hot for Baker, gut feeling.

I'm torn on if we will like him. Macc generally likes big body, big arm type guys. Mayfield is neither. While his arm strength isn't an issue... there are other QBs with a better arm (Rosen, Allen, Jackson). I really don't see us going the Jackson route (although I am very intrigued by him if he throws well in the pre draft process). I still am hoping that we just sign Cousins and can go a different route than QB at 6.

Cousins is an half over 6 2 so if Jets successfully secured his service then he would be the shortest qb Maccagnan had ever "courted". Bryce Petty is currently holding that title as he is only 1/8 off 6 3.

Kyle Lauletta and Kurt Benkert match Kirk Couisns coming out of NCAA. umm.

Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph and Sam Darnold fit Maccagnan's profile for qb. Eliminate Allen since he is out of Maccagnan's scout area.  As far as Bates is running the offense, Rosen may be out since his strength is between Tackles but there is no guarantee that Bates will stay with Jets throughout the qb's rookie status.  That would leave Darnold in 1st or Rudolph in 2nd for Jets. It would become peaceful if Darnold fell onto Jets' 6th pick but whoever is under the center has to show that he is capable of leading the offense for all I care.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He has plenty of arm strength

44 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He has plenty of arm strength

I agree with this. I don't see arm strength issues in him at all. I mean I saw some arm strength issues with Watson last year and he seemed to look good in his few NFL starts this last year. Peyton had arm strength issues and he'll be a HOFer. You can succeed even with arm strength issues is you make smart decisions and you're accurate. I question Mayfield's accuracy more than anything arm wise. And I don't have a lot of questions about his accuracy. Why I say I am paying attention to it is bc of weak defenses in the Big 12 for starters and the system he ran at OU that had receivers quite a bit more open than they will be in the NFL. I have these same issues with Jackson as well. I think people just look at the competition percentage numbers like that tells the whole story. I'll state again that I don't think Mayfield is inaccurate but I want to see him in an actual offense not a spread offense with wide open WRs against bad defenses.

Archived