2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with this. I don't see arm strength issues in him at all. I mean I saw some arm strength issues with Watson last year and he seemed to look good in his few NFL starts this last year. Peyton had arm strength issues and he'll be a HOFer. You can succeed even with arm strength issues is you make smart decisions and you're accurate. I question Mayfield's accuracy more than anything arm wise. And I don't have a lot of questions about his accuracy. Why I say I am paying attention to it is bc of weak defenses in the Big 12 for starters and the system he ran at OU that had receivers quite a bit more open than they will be in the NFL. I have these same issues with Jackson as well. I think people just look at the competition percentage numbers like that tells the whole story. I'll state again that I don't think Mayfield is inaccurate but I want to see him in an actual offense not a spread offense with wide open WRs against bad defenses.

Ya I think Baker's arm is fine.  We will see what kind of velocity he can muster at the combine, but Watson only threw 49mph which is abysmal and he looked fine to me.  Baker can make all the throws imo, even though he doesn't have Allen's arm.  Arm strength is probably the most over rated trait when it comes to QB's, as long as you don't have  flat out noodle. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

49mph? even in the dome?  Amazing.

Anyway, ball velocity means nothing if you can spin football well. 

It means nothing if you’re accurate and make good decisions. Spinning it well is a very vague term.

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Against the wind in December?

We won't know until he's drafted but either way can't see the Jets being too focused on him.

No, but if you can throw a 60+ yard pass, you'll be fine.  McCown did relatively well with the deep ball and he doesn't have the strongest arm.  Also, I disagree.  He's a very good fit for the offense.

18 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Ya I think Baker's arm is fine.  We will see what kind of velocity he can muster at the combine, but Watson only threw 49mph which is abysmal and he looked fine to me.  Baker can make all the throws imo, even though he doesn't have Allen's arm.  Arm strength is probably the most over rated trait when it comes to QB's, as long as you don't have  flat out noodle. 

Ball has to be able to zip through the air especially on out routes. When it doesn't rip it leads to more 50/50 balls and potential picks. I'm interested in seeing Mayfield's arm tested in those conditions.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

No, but if you can throw a 60+ yard pass, you'll be fine.  McCown did relatively well with the deep ball and he doesn't have the strongest arm.  Also, I disagree.  He's a very good fit for the offense.

You do know the difference between throwing far and throwing hard right?

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You're talking about wind.  Is wind really going to significantly affect a 10-20 yard bullet?  No.  Will it affect a 50+ yard heave?  Yes.

Ever seen Brady rip one against the wind and drop a dime or perfectly placed pass. Wind slows the ball down making it easier for Corners to break on the ball. It's not the end all be all just saying it's something to consider when looking at prospects.

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Ever seen Brady rip one against the wind and drop a dime or perfectly placed pass. Wind slows the ball down making it easier for Corners to break on the ball. It's not the end all be all just saying it's something to consider when looking at prospects.

It slows it down, but not significantly.  Besides, have you seen any scouting report ripping his arm strength?  Does he have a Josh Allen arm?  No, but not many do.  But he sure doesn't have a Chad Pennington arm either.  Most consider it to be strong.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:38 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

His potential is high but his bust potential is as well, he's truly a hit or miss prospect. Jets are not in the position to take that gamble at 6 and he'll likely be gone later in the first round anyway. I said the fan base is not patient not the organization. Tyrod is nothing like Jackson, they have one thing in common and it isn't football related. Bates does not implement spread nor RPO plays and you want us to build an offense around a guy who may or may not be great, thats where the risk comes into play.

Jackson would be a terrible pick IMO, we could go so many other ways and improve this team.

Every QB has a high bust potential Rosen, Darnold, etc they all can bust that's a lazy excuse not to draft a guy.  No matter who we draft at 6 will be a gamble it the draft it always is.  If you like Rosen better that's fine but he's not a sure thing either and could easily bust too.   

Fan base isn't patient as a whole sure but who cares what you or I think, Mac is going to draft who he wants and develop at his own speed.  If it was up to the fans or the fans opinion's mattered Hack would have seen live game action already so there is no reason to mention the fans as coaches don't listen to fans or media.  Your arguments against Jackson are rather pointless.  If you think he won't be a good QB just say it don't use other excuses to ignore an elite QB prospect as an option.  You keep playing it safe at QB and we may never find a franchise QB.  Jackson is an elite prospect at QB so I'd say we should take a gamble on a guy like that because the payoff could be special. 

Bates worked with Shanahan who drafted and worked with RGIII in WAS so Bates can make it work just like Shanahan did with RGIII when he was playing great pre injury.  Saying he can't makes no sense.

Finally Tyrod and Jackson are similar QB's both have good arm's and both use their legs extremely well as a huge part of their game.  Obviously Jackson is far more explosive but in general their games are similar.  Not sure how you can see it any other way.

Jackson would be a fine pick if he plays up to his potential.  I think he is the second coming of Vick with already better throwing mechanics therefore I think he would be a great pick even as high as 6.  

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Just watched highlights of Martez Carter.  Check this guy out if you haven't already.  Prototypical one-cut back that will fit well in Bates' offense.  Looks like a beast, but is playing at Grambling State.

I've heard him compared to Tarik Cohen.  probably a 5th/6th rounder but would be a nice 3rd RB/returner.  

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've heard him compared to Tarik Cohen.  probably a 5th/6th rounder but would be a nice 3rd RB/returner.  

Carter is much bigger and stronger.  I still can't believe Cardinals have both David Johnson and TJ Logan. Those red bastards.

Archived