What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Well then fix your hilariously pathetic OL and then maybe you guys will be able to run the ball. Putting Barkley--or any RB--behind an OL of diarrhea isn't going to change things. I am not anti-RB's at all, even when it comes to top 5 picks. But if you decide to invest in one, you had better make sure to invest heavily in the OL as well to take advantage of having a superfreak back. You can put an absolute bum behind a solid OL and get 1,000 yards. You can put a superstar RB behind a bad OL and get under 1,000 yards.

Just don't expect the fortunes of your running game to change overnight with the acquisition of Barkley, no matter how good he is.

What!? You mean we can't just draft Barkley and he instantly and alone fixes our running game???

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Well then fix your hilariously pathetic OL and then maybe you guys will be able to run the ball. Putting Barkley--or any RB--behind an OL of diarrhea isn't going to change things. I am not anti-RB's at all, even when it comes to top 5 picks. But if you decide to invest in one, you had better make sure to invest heavily in the OL as well to take advantage of having a superfreak back. You can put an absolute bum behind a solid OL and get 1,000 yards. You can put a superstar RB behind a bad OL and get under 1,000 yards.

Just don't expect the fortunes of your running game to change overnight with the acquisition of Barkley, no matter how good he is.

Orleans Darkwa ran for 750 yards on 4.5ypc behind the Giants "hilariously pathetic" line last year, and he didn't even start getting carries until the second half of the season. Imagine what a talent like Barkley could do in a similar situation. 

1 hour ago, w4rrior723 said:

Orleans Darkwa ran for 750 yards on 4.5ypc behind the Giants "hilariously pathetic" line last year, and he didn't even start getting carries until the second half of the season. Imagine what a talent like Barkley could do in a similar situation. 

Just to add to this, RB is one of those positions where fans want to try and compare the kind of impact a player has based on stats alone when that's the furthest from reality. Teams gameplan totally differently for RBs that are Saquon's caliber. He will literally change how opponents choose to defend the Giants just by himself. That kind of impact can't be measured by an individual statistic. 

I'm not at all discrediting the impact Saquon could have for the Giants or ANY team, but he's not going to put them in the top half of the NFL behind that OL. Don't expect an overnight fix of the run game if you pick Saquon.

I have zero insider information and don't follow the Giants, but I'm like 90% sure they won't take Barkley.

Giants have come out and said that the Jets did not offer them the deal that they offered the Colts.

If Mayfield goes #1, it will be an odd feeling if Gettleman still goes with Barkley and leaves Darnold on the board. I love Saquon more than any other prospect this year, but passing on, in my opinion, the one true franchise QB in this draft is... confusing, to say the least.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Giants have come out and said that the Jets did not offer them the deal that they offered the Colts.

If Mayfield goes #1, it will be an odd feeling if Gettleman still goes with Barkley and leaves Darnold on the board. I love Saquon more than any other prospect this year, but passing on, in my opinion, the one true franchise QB in this draft is... confusing, to say the least.

Did the Giants really say the Jets did not make them that offer? I have not heard that. And if that is true everyone in the Jets front office needs to be fired now. 

7 minutes ago, Duke5217 said:

Did the Giants really say the Jets did not make them that offer? I have not heard that. And if that is true everyone in the Jets front office needs to be fired now. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Jets-never-contacted-New-York-Giants-about-trade-for-no-2-pick-116828718

Mara confirmed it and Maccagnan basically admitted it.

Like I've been saying all offseason, it takes 2 to tango. Getting a good trade down isn't easy.

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Jets-never-contacted-New-York-Giants-about-trade-for-no-2-pick-116828718

Mara confirmed it and Maccagnan basically admitted it.

Like I've been saying all offseason, it takes 2 to tango. Getting a good trade down isn't easy.

I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with the fact that the Giants wouldn't really strike a deal with the Jets short of them screwing the hell out of the Jets.

23 hours ago, bomont said:

Brilliant counter.  Come up w/that all by yourself?

Not worth a counter if you think a RB > 3 1st round picks + more picks.

AP was one of the best RBs ever and still couldn’t win. 

The giants don’t have the luxury to select a RB so it’d be smart to fill up your roster with 1st and 2nd round picks. 

If they can’t find a partner then select BPA but if you’re offered 2 or 3 1sts, a couple 2/3rds and you turn it down, that’s a bad GM. 

I feel like the Giants have to take a QB if they stay at #2.  And it's not necessarily for the future, Eli Manning is terrible.  The QB the Giants pick at #2 might even have to start at some point this upcoming season or should start in their second season.

3 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Not worth a counter if you think a RB > 3 1st round picks + more picks.

AP was one of the best RBs ever and still couldn’t win. 

The giants don’t have the luxury to select a RB so it’d be smart to fill up your roster with 1st and 2nd round picks. 

If they can’t find a partner then select BPA but if you’re offered 2 or 3 1sts, a couple 2/3rds and you turn it down, that’s a bad GM. 

I wouldn't have a problem with the Giants taking a RB at #2, but their offensive line sucks and their QB situation is terrible.  If there's any team I wouldn't want to go to if I were Saquon Barkely, the Giants would be near the top of the list.

48 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Whelp here's hoping the Giants don't touch the offensive side of the ball for the rest of the draft. Would be nice to see Eli and Barkley struggle with that OL.

Expect at least 2/3 picks tomorrow to be OL. I wouldn't be surprised in the least for it to be all 3. 

Archived