NFL Changes Catch Rule

Soko

42 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Another question. Is this a particular order? So reaching is considered a football move? Fine. But what if it happens BEFORE the second foot comes down? I seem to remember there was a play in past seasons where that happened and it was ruled that it isn't a 3rd football move because it happened prior to two feet down. Is that the case here? The rule isn't clear if a specific order is required.

This is my question as well. Does the "football move" have to be performed after the 2nd foot is down? 

*It's oh so close in the OBJ gif of when the 2nd foot lands and when he reaches/extends the ball. 

18 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

This is my question as well. Does the "football move" have to be performed after the 2nd foot is down? 

*It's oh so close in the OBJ gif of when the 2nd foot lands and when he reaches/extends the ball. 

Good question. If it's not an explicit requirement I don't think it should be enforced as such. Essentially need 4 components (regardless of order) as I read it: control, 2 feet, 3rd move

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

At some point we just gotta use common sense (like the OBJ play). OBJ could still be holding that ball if he wanted to be. He obviously had control and two feet down in the end zone. That has ALWAYS been a TD.

Just because you keep repeating this doesn't make it true. 

On 3/27/2018 at 1:23 PM, dtait93 said:

No because the ball crossed the plane. He possessed, established 2 feet, and extended (past the goal line) before Butler did anything. What Butler did was irrelevant.

But i dont think he ever had control. Thats still gonna be a factor. Just not in as nearly the complex manner it was before.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:15 AM, VikeManDan said:

A catch is 2 feet or one of any other body part on the ground.  Once the 2nd foot goes down it is a catch.  Especially when the player is reaching with the ball.

I agree with the statement that a receiver will not reach with the football unless they have control of it.  can you have control of the football and it not be a catch?  Yes.  see the two feet/ any other body part section.  Can you have two feet down and not have control?  Yes.

So what the NFL is sayin is....

Jesse James DID catch the football for a TD, the Steelers did win the game vs. NE, claim the #1 seed, beat the titans in the playoffs, and play the Eagles in the SB? 

Interesting how these changes that are long overdue only actually occur when it's convenient. 

The JJ catch was ruled correctly for the rule at that time.  I had more of a problem with the reviews that went well beyond trying to get indisputable evidence.  Looking at catch like it was the Zapruter film.  I think that turned fans off.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

But i dont think he ever had control. Thats still gonna be a factor. Just not in as nearly the complex manner it was before.

Then how do we deem when a player has control? In this case Odell grasped the ball, tucked it, and then extended. What more would he had to have done?

On 27/03/2018 at 7:23 PM, dtait93 said:

No because the ball crossed the plane. He possessed, established 2 feet, and extended (past the goal line) before Butler did anything. What Butler did was irrelevant.

Yes but it's against the Patriots so the Refs will find a way to give them the ball. 

Just joking. 

Archived