2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

Basically you guys seem to think...

Aaron Judge is good but not this good, a .260 40 homer hitter, 5 WAR guy

It just so happens that three separate times in his first year and a half in baseball he's gone on extended rampages where he hit like Barry Bonds for a month plus

Seems far fetched

Let me describe a player to you...

Real five tool player.  Generational physical abilities.  He's a first round pick and hits at every level in the minor leagues.  

Guy comes up his first year in a limited cup of coffee and struggles with an OPS in the .600.  Hype quiets down a bit.

He comes back the next season and is an absolute monster.  Leads the league in WAR.  Runs away with the ROTY award.  Should have won MVP, but finishes second.

Who am I describing? 

I don't remember this much skepticism about Mike Trout circa 2013.  Especially when he came back and started playing like an MVP again.

The real question is, what sample size is "enough" to start to believe Aaron Judge might be a generational superstar rather than a run of the mill sometimes all-star?

The guy has a career OPS over 1.000 in 200 games and almost 900 plate appearances.  

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

Let me describe a player to you...

Real five tool player.  Generational physical abilities.  He's a first round pick and hits at every level in the minor leagues.  

Guy comes up his first year in a limited cup of coffee and struggles with an OPS in the .600.  Hype quiets down a bit.

He comes back the next season and is an absolute monster.  Leads the league in WAR.  Runs away with the ROTY award.  Should have won MVP, but finishes second.

Who am I describing? 

I don't remember this much skepticism about Mike Trout circa 2013.  Especially when he came back and started playing like an MVP again.

i do not think it means what you think it means the princess bride GIF

10 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

He hits well at home but it's not like they are porch jobs.

Not saying they are. Everybody always assumes that's what I mean. He takes massive advantage of a great hitters park. There's nothing wrong with that. 

34 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

He hits in a little league park. His career splits prove it. 

But hey, whatever. You do you. 

Go back to destroying all you can eat buffets and knee caps

425 foot homers don’t have anything to do with the short porch 

21 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Not saying they are. Everybody always assumes that's what I mean. He takes massive advantage of a great hitters park. There's nothing wrong with that. 

This is bull****. 

425 foot homers in YS are not fly outs in other parks.  Doesnt matter how you want to caveat it.

He probably hits better at home because he can sleep in his own bed instead of his feet hanging way off the end at some hotel

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

i do not think it means what you think it means the princess bride GIF

Lets see...

He's the biggest, hits the ball the hardest and furthest, and has the best arm this generation.

But sure, he's not a generational talent.

And a .300 hitter who walks, hits for absurd power, plays good defense, can steal bases, and has the best arm in baseball is clearly not a five tool player.

26 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Are you claiming a jet stream then? 

Im not going as far as @mission27 to say he's generational but he continues to show he can hit for solid average despite the Ks. I know historically high Ks has always led to low BA but we're dealing with such different circumstances in this era than ever before.

Archived