2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

while certainly not the smartest thing in the world, anyone judging hader today from tweets when he was 17 is just as foolish as he was when he was 17. People saying "oh i knew better when i was 17" even if thats true... good for you? 17 year olds as a whole are dumb. Often times theyre very insulated and while they may know that words are bad they dont realize truly what they mean and the hurt they can cause. 

On top of that, to try and link anything from haders comments to the lack of black players or openly gay players is moronic. period.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Don't use the n-word. Holy crap lol. Like come on I knew that when I was 8 years old a 17 year old DEFINITELY knows better. Just because he shouldn't be banned from all things forever and always doesn't mean we should excuse it. 

No, "rappers use it" isn't a defense, it's never been a defense.

What about football players? I've heard many of them use the word. JPP used while he was with the Giants.

1 minute ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Yeah he shouldn’t take action because of the people who are outraged. He should take action because he wants to help others and show his own character as a man. 

what kind of action and what should he do? this may (or may not) be bordering on forum rules but he didnt even tweet anything rascist. No one should say the n word, its deeply offensive. However if you arent directing it or using it as a adjective or something but merely saying or typing just that word, how exactly would it be rascist?

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

What about football players? I've heard many of them use the word. JPP used while he was with the Giants.

cmon man. its a bad argument and if you dont realize the difference then i have serious questions about you. 

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The fact that now we take a random occurrence of social media to use it to call someone a racist or all the other -ist or phobe words we have bugs me.

Social media is how athletes interact with people. They keep their private lives away from the spotlight, and that's fine. But when you say "I'm going to interact with society at large through twitter", people are going to judge your character on your tweets. 

And that's not unique to -ist or -phobe labels either, people judge JJ Watt or Russell Wilson for being fake people because each of them use twitter to interact and come off as really insincere.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hell I'll admit it, I'm glad no one had a camera recording drunk 18 year old Packerraymond playing Cards Against Humanity with his college buddies or people would label me everything under the sun lol.

I know where you're coming from, even though I don't think the collective internet would break because of a Cards Against Humanity play.

The difference in today's society is that we hold all people, including teenagers, more accountable for things they say. Water cooler or locker room talk or whatever you want to call it doesn't go over as well. That's probably not a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cmon man. its a bad argument and if you dont realize the difference then i have serious questions about you. 

The difference? One player is white and one is black. One said it as a stupid kid the other guy said it as a professional athlete.

28 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

what kind of action and what should he do? this may (or may not) be bordering on forum rules but he didnt even tweet anything rascist. No one should say the n word, its deeply offensive. However if you arent directing it or using it as a adjective or something but merely saying or typing just that word, how exactly would it be rascist?

I’m thinking more along the lines of his homophobia. Tweeting things like “I hate gay people” isn’t kosher ya dig. 

If I had to guess, the MLB is working behind the scenes here to try and cut a deal. He gets 5 games, and Hader voluntarily donates the 5 game salary to LGBTQ+/AA in baseball groups. The 5 games matches what they gave Yuli Gurriel, but because he wasn't in baseball at the time I'm assuming the MLBPA goes bananas, hence the deal cutting.

My 2 cents on this Hader stuff....

Social media is an outrage machine. While it can be a source of alot of information and data - it also serves for individuals and groups to voice their personal and collective outrage. Instant opinion can often be ill considered opinion.

As for this guy being young, dumb and stupid back when......I didnt know him then - dont know him now - cant make heads or tails about him in either case - but - I was 17 once and the opinions I uttered represented my beliefs. The way I was raised. The morays and values of my surroundings. It was pretty simple.

I may have been young - but apparently I've never been dumb and stupid and I was "surrounded by athletes" as well. I never held the ideas or beliefs of this guy.

I'd want to know more about where he was raised. What were the demographics and influences of his family and surrounding friends. Those effects - during the so called "formative years" would serve better basis to know where these opinions grew. You raise a child in a racist, bigoted, homophobic atmosphere - more times then not, you're gonna wind up with a racist, bigoted, homophobic kid and a young adult that (to put it positively.....) has to battle those beliefs. I wish him well along those lines. 

Archived