QB Wonderlic Scores

Da_Ducktator

4 hours ago, PFM18 said:

It gets said every year but the Wonderlic is certainly not the be all and end all of being an NFL Quarterback.

If it was, then Ryan Fitzpatrick, who IIRC recorded one of the highest scores ever, would be a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

It gets said every day, but people need to stop conflating a positive correlator with an "be all end all" 

I love Jackson as a prospect. I think he can lead a very efficient offense. But, beyond the wonderlic score, I'm concerned about his decision making in this entire draft process. Having his mom as an agent just seems dumb. I'd also prefer he showcase his speed by running the 40; embrace the athleticism don't distance yourself from it.

I'd still take him at 16. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I love Jackson as a prospect. I think he can lead a very efficient offense. But, beyond the wonderlic score, I'm concerned about his decision making in this entire draft process. Having his mom as an agent just seems dumb. I'd also prefer he showcase his speed by running the 40; embrace the athleticism don't distance yourself from it.

I'd still take him at 16. 

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I don't think having your mom as your agent hurts your NFL potential, but it will hurt his draft stock. He isn't being fed the "right answers" to the questions teams will ask him. Plus apparently it's hard to reach this kid now. I'm willing to bet she doesn't understand what it takes to be an NFL agent. Wanting what's best for your son is her end game I'm sure, but telling him to follow her lead in the lead-up to the NFL draft is not helping him in any way. She probably felt that he'd be taken advantage of by a sports agent (probably true to an extent) and decided that mama bear is gonna protect him. Unfortunately, mama bear is probably way in over her head and can't provide him with the resources to drive up that draft stock.

All that being said, he's still a 1st round draft pick. The wonderlic makes me think he's an academic idiot, but it means literally nothing to me when evaluating a prospect. I seriously wouldn't care if someone got a 0/50 so long as their game tape doesn't suggest that they're incapable of learning.

Oh, and not running is kind of stupid. I have a feeling he wasn't running as fast as people expected him to run and just decided to shut it down. I think he's also terrified of teams asking him to be a WR and is doing anything in his power to avoid that conversation. Part of the reason I'm on the Lamar Jackson 1st round bandwagon is because of he does suck as an NFL QB after a few years, he has the ability to become a #1 WR for your team or at the very least, a dynamic kick returner (assuming kickoffs exist in 3 years). I'd be telling teams I'm open to play wherever, but I want to be the QB. That'd help put some of these GM's minds at ease about him going in the 1st round, knowing they have two separate lottery tickets in this kid (WR/QB). His stock does appear to be down recently, but again, none of these issues would make me drop him on my board.

28 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

The wonderlic makes me think he's an academic idiot, but it means literally nothing to me when evaluating a prospect. I seriously wouldn't care if someone got a 0/50 so long as their game tape doesn't suggest that they're incapable of learning.

I agree with everything you said except this bit. I'd rather the most important player/person on my team be smart. Just because it's impossible to capture intelligence in a short test, doesn't mean it doesn't correlate with it at all. So, I'd feel significantly better about the prospect who got a 37, all else being equal. It's not everything, but it's something.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with everything you said except this bit. I'd rather the most important player/person on my team be smart. Just because it's impossible to capture intelligence in a short test, doesn't mean it doesn't correlate with it at all. So, I'd feel significantly better about the prospect who got a 37, all else being equal. It's not everything, but it's something.

I know we want smart guys running our teams, but some people are like...autistically smart in certain areas and terrible in others. I took the online practice wonderlic and got a 25. Not a great score by any stretch...probably average to below average. I am literally atrocious at math. It makes my head hurt just to look at the numbers. But ask me any football-related question and I'll get 100%. I don't care if Lamar Jackson can answer "if sally is 1/2 of tom's age and tom is 3 years older than jackie, when Jackie is 33, how old will Sally be?" I care if he can answer, "What coverage is the defense in? What route concepts will break open theoretically against this concept? What will your progressions be based on the pre-snap read of the defense?"

Being brilliant is important. But one can be spectacularly brilliant in football and a dunce in other areas of life. While I don't think I'm a total dunce, I do believe I have an insane amount of football knowledge. When compared to my other intellectual abilities, it's not even close.

Would you dock a prospect's grade based on the wonderlic test?

21 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I know we want smart guys running our teams, but some people are like...autistically smart in certain areas and terrible in others. I took the online practice wonderlic and got a 25. Not a great score by any stretch...probably average to below average. I am literally atrocious at math. It makes my head hurt just to look at the numbers. But ask me any football-related question and I'll get 100%. I don't care if Lamar Jackson can answer "if sally is 1/2 of tom's age and tom is 3 years older than jackie, when Jackie is 33, how old will Sally be?" I care if he can answer, "What coverage is the defense in? What route concepts will break open theoretically against this concept? What will your progressions be based on the pre-snap read of the defense?"

Being brilliant is important. But one can be spectacularly brilliant in football and a dunce in other areas of life. While I don't think I'm a total dunce, I do believe I have an insane amount of football knowledge. When compared to my other intellectual abilities, it's not even close.

Would you dock a prospect's grade based on the wonderlic test?

Iq is correlated with long term success in life

3 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Are you guys more impressed with high scores or more concerned with low scores?

I'm most afraid of average scores. You can complicate a scheme to keep a smart QB from being bored. You can dumb a scheme down for a dumb QB. But what do you do with a QB who has average intelligence? :P

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

No qb in the last 20 years have won a title with a score under 25 its relevant.

It's too bad nobody told the Panthers that. They wouldn't have even tried to beat the Broncos.

Archived