2019 to 2020 is NFL 100th Anniversary

Buddyboy

Who are the personalities that in 100 years founded, funded and formed the league?

George Halas, Curly Lambeau, Bert Bell, Pete Rozelle, Paul Brown, Art Rooney, Carroll Rosenbloom, George Marshall, Sid Luckman,  Bart Starr, Jim Brown, Woody Stroud, Joe Namath, Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Lamar Hunt....

the NFL for all intents and Purposes, was basically founded by the Mafia lol

The long-running but secret alliance of pro football and gambling has been chronicled thoroughly in the book Interference: How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football, by Dan E. Moldea (Morrow). In the early 1920s, one George Halas turned to Charles Bidwill, a bootlegger, gambler, racetrack owner, and associate of Chicago’s Al (Scarface) Capone’s mob, to finance the Chicago Bears. Later, Bidwill bought the Chicago Cardinals. The Bidwill family now owns the Arizona Cardinals.

But over 100 years the connections to America's elite universities and military academies is quite strong. 

Lombardi coached at West Point and Staubach won the Heisman at Annapolis.

Mob connections run through the Olympics too.

1 hour ago, Buddyboy said:

But over 100 years the connections to America's elite universities and military academies is quite strong. 

Lombardi coached at West Point and Staubach won the Heisman at Annapolis.

Mob connections run through the Olympics too.

Not sure of your point? You're assuming govt  institutions  are honest or didn't  work with the mafia? You have so much to learn  about the real world. So, so much to learn. Sports has never been about competition. It's always been about profit from multiple  angles. It's  core function has always been betting money 

13 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

the NFL for all intents and Purposes, was basically founded by the Mafia lol

The long-running but secret alliance of pro football and gambling has been chronicled thoroughly in the book Interference: How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football, by Dan E. Moldea (Morrow). In the early 1920s, one George Halas turned to Charles Bidwill, a bootlegger, gambler, racetrack owner, and associate of Chicago’s Al (Scarface) Capone’s mob, to finance the Chicago Bears. Later, Bidwill bought the Chicago Cardinals. The Bidwill family now owns the Arizona Cardinals.

That's amazing. It's not surprising, but still interesting nonetheless.

Sounds like a good read.

1 hour ago, Buddyboy said:

I think so too

I could see Belichick retiring and it being the Lombardi/Belichick trophy. But I Lombardi really got his name on the trophy after he died so they aren't taking him off it. But if any coach deserves it, it's Belichick. He's been involved 10 Super Bowls. 

On 4/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, lancerman said:

I could see Belichick retiring and it being the Lombardi/Belichick trophy. But I Lombardi really got his name on the trophy after he died so they aren't taking him off it. But if any coach deserves it, it's Belichick. He's been involved 10 Super Bowls. 

It will never be renamed.

Archived