Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No one knows what the future holds but I can’t imagine that the cap won’t go up in the future. 

In fact the salary cap is projected to be $114 in 2020 and that’s the year Wall’s # jumps to $40M a year.

That’s still more than a 3rd of the salary cap on one player.

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That’s still more than a 3rd of the salary cap on one player.

Which is not a problem if your 3rd max player also plays near All-Star level too, so far that guy (Porter) hasn’t. I hope he makes a jump this year - he’s efficient, versatile and a great glue guy - the team just needs a little more assertiveness on offense and few more buckets out of him a game.

If Wall, Morris and Porter are more healthy in 2018-19 then the team will be near or over 50 wins this year. 

* Wall needs to get back to 23 ppg, 11 asts & 4 rebs;

* Porter needs to jump to 17 to 19 ppg, 7 reb; and

* Morris needs to get back to 15 ppg, 7 reb

Edited by turtle28

With Ariza leaving Houston, I wonder if there’s anything there for us to explore. 

We've got two guys, in Porter and Rivers, who I would think they’d covet. You would think a stats guy like Morey would be high on Porter, as a great shooter and low turnover player who could step right into Ariza’s role and limit  drop-off defensively. And with their obvious fondness for that iso ball style, Rivers would seem like a natural fit as an emerging top-notch iso scorer. 

Just as a hypothetical, let’s say we could do Porter (and salary filler, maybe Jason Smith) for a re-signed Clint Capela and Ryan Anderson’s bad contract. Where would folks stand on something like that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

With Ariza leaving Houston, I wonder if there’s anything there for us to explore. 

We've got two guys, in Porter and Rivers, who I would think they’d covet. You would think a stats guy like Morey would be high on Porter, as a great shooter and low turnover player who could step right into Ariza’s role and limit  drop-off defensively. And with their obvious fondness for that iso ball style, Rivers would seem like a natural fit as an emerging top-notch iso scorer. 

Just as a hypothetical, let’s say we could do Porter (and salary filler, maybe Jason Smith) for a re-signed Clint Capela and Ryan Anderson’s bad contract. Where would folks stand on something like that?

I read that the Wizards can’t trade Rivers yet. I can’t remember when they can though.

This is also a tough proposal E.

I think the question becomes, does anyone believe Porter is going to make a jump in his scoring in the next few years to a 17-20 ppg scorer, or do you believe he’s reached his ceiling?

I continue to believe that we haven’t seen the best basketball out of the Wizards top 4 players - Wall, Beal, Porter and Morris - health and a lack of focus in the 4th quarter in 10 plus games last year cost the team 10 plus wins.

I love Capella, but essentially in this trade you’re giving up Porter for Capella. I don’t think that’s an even trade for the Wizards. 

I would much rather see them sign a poor man’s Capella in Nerlens Noel and re-sign Mike Scott than to move Porter for Capella.

Also, there’s an argument to be made that a healthy Jason Smith - which he wasn’t in 2017 - is a poor man’s Ryan Anderson.  Smith is better in one area though, he gives more effort on defense and more rebounding than Anderson, so IMO we have a Ryan Anderson-like player with Jason Smith.

In 2016-17 when Mahinmi barely played because of injuries Smith had these stats:

* 14.4 mpg, 52% FG, 47% from 3, 3.5 reb, .7 blocks and 5.7 ppg

* If Smith gets 18-20 mpg and he’s healthy it’s possible he gives the Wizards 8 pts, 5 Rebs and 1 block per game.

Obviously Smith is not someone you want playing 25-30 mpg but as a back up C, he hustles on both sides of the floor and can stretch the floor. If Smith is playing 15-20 mpg, he basically gives us what Ryan Anderson gives Hou - except Smith gives more effort/hustle on D & rebounding - and Smith costs $15 million less per year.

On top of that, Smith is an expiring contract.

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Howard would be a disaster.

I’m not so sure. He offers a rim protector, athleticism, rebounding and someone to execute the pick & roll with. Howard is a bigger, stronger and more athletic Gortat. If you place Howard on the Wizards’ teams in 2016 & 17, I think they win more games. He’s a better rebounder than Gortat, better shot blocker, and better finisher around the rim. Last year in Charlotte he averaged 16.6 pts, 12.5 Rebs &  1.6 blocks per game. The Wizards could definitely use that.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not so sure. He offers a rim protector, athleticism, rebounding and someone to execute the pick & roll with. Howard is a bigger, stronger and more athletic Gortat. If you place Howard on the Wizards’ teams in 2016 & 17, I think they win more games. He’s a better rebounder than Gortat, better shot blocker, and better finisher around the rim. Last year in Charlotte he averaged 16.6 pts, 12.5 Rebs &  1.6 blocks per game. The Wizards could definitely use that.

He’s also a headcase that has been pushed off mutiple teams because he’s a terrible teammate.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s also a headcase that has been pushed off mutiple teams because he’s a terrible teammate.

We all know the main issue, they don’t have the cap space. So, it’s improve the team with some guys who are headcases or get some back up big who probably isn’t a better option than Mahinmi or Smith. I mean, we all know they can’t be choir boys.

I’d love it if Neil’s idea came to fruition:

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Guys I live in Charlotte. All I read about for the year was how Howard is still the same lockeroom cancer he’s always been and that his teammates hate him. Kip hawk couldn’t wait to be rid of him. 

Could that be just that he didn’t mesh well with those guys? I’d like to know what Kamba Walker thinks of Howard because I consider Walker and Wall pretty similar personality wise. 

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

correct me if im wrong but. if we sign nerlens noel and do the mid level acception for mike scott, could we stretch mahimis contract and essentially be out of the luxery tax? i believe we are over by 7 mil

I believe that’s correct but @MKnight82 or @e16bball would have to answer that for sure. They know the complicated NBA salary cap far better than me.

So, I don’t know if anyone saw it but Robert Williams was late or missed his introductory press conference and was late or missed his flight to Vegas for the Summer League - claiming he overslept. Celtics fans aren’t happy. So, apparently this is an issue for him and one of the reasons he felll in the draft.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Could that be just that he didn’t mesh well with those guys? I’d like to know what Kamba Walker thinks of Howard because I consider Walker and Wall pretty similar personality wise. 

It's not just Charlotte. It's similar to why the Lakers didn't care to bring him back, why the Hawks (outside of rebuilding) were quick to move on, why rumblings of Harden wanting Howard out were there, and why the Nets have no interest in keeping him. It follows him wherever he goes with reason. Meshing had nothing to do with it. He had a decent season.