Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

I used to love Taj Gibson years ago but I wonder where he fits in in terms of minutes. The Wizards are stacked at forward & center with either vets or young guys that they should be playing to develop more to determine if they should be kept, traded or not re-signed.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, turtle28 said:

I used to love Taj Gibson years ago but I wonder where he fits in in terms of minutes. The Wizards are stacked at forward & center with either vets or young guys that they should be playing to develop more to determine if they should be kept, traded or not re-signed.

Taj Gibson fits in well with the illustrious Wizards tradition of bringing in players who have killed them in the past. A history that certainly includes Delon Wright already this offseason. 

He added a little shooting to his game, but if he’s playing much, something went terribly wrong. 

On 7/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, turtle28 said:

Who’s ready for the Wizards Summer League game tonight?

I’m excited to see Johnny Davis play! It’s on ESPN2 at 6:00pm. 

He’s off to a solid 1 for 14 shooting start, which suggests that Tommy has really hit a home run here.

Obviously, kid has his whole career ahead of him. But it’s not an auspicious start for a guy who always had a little trouble getting higher-quality shots in college. Having to live on long 2s in college is…not a great sign. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, e16bball said:

Taj Gibson fits in well with the illustrious Wizards tradition of bringing in players who have killed them in the past. A history that certainly includes Delon Wright already this offseason. 

He added a little shooting to his game, but if he’s playing much, something went terribly wrong. 

He’s off to a solid 1 for 14 shooting start, which suggests that Tommy has really hit a home run here.

Obviously, kid has his whole career ahead of him. But it’s not an auspicious start for a guy who always had a little trouble getting higher-quality shots in college. Having to live on long 2s in college is…not a great sign. 

Yeah, he has a lot of work to do. I certainly expected better. Frankly, I expected Johnny Davis to play how Jordan Schakel has played. 

The good news I guess is that Davis is a very hard worker. Still, I’m disappointed he didn’t have more of an impact in his first 2 Summer League games.

Projections for Wizards 2022-23 stats:

PG Monte Morris: 14pts, 6 asts, 3 rebs

Delon Wright: 7 pts, 3 asts, 3 rebs

SG Beal: 29 pts, 5 asts, 5 rebs

Kispert: 9 pts, 1 ast, 3 rebs

Johnny Davis: 2 pts, 1 reb

SF Will Barton: 15 pts, 4 asts, 5 rebs

Deni Avdija: 9 pts, 2 asts, 5 rebs

Jordan Schakel: 2 pts, 2 rebs

PF Kyle Kuzma: 17 pts, 3 asts, 8 rebs

Rui Hachimura: 13 pts, 1 ast, 5 rebs

Taj Gibson: 4 pts, 4 rebs

Anthony Gill: 4 pts, 3 rebs

Isaiah Todd: 2 pts, 1 reb

C Porzingis (KP): 21 pts, 3 asts, 9 rebs

Gafford: 9 pts, 1 ast, 6 rebs

Vernon Carey: 3 pts, 2 rebs

* Johnny Davis will spend most of the year as the 11th man on the team. A lot like Otto Porter when we drafted him in 2013, they will take it slow with Davis in his development. They’ll let him develop his 3-pt shot & as he becomes more consistent as a 3-pt shooter he will get more minutes as the season goes on and in future years as a 3 & D reserve SG & SF. I could see Davis as our starting SF in his 3rd year after two years of developing behind Beal.

Shackel, Todd & Carey will probably see a lot of time in the G-league this year & possibly Johnny Davis as well.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

SF Will Barton: 15 pts, 4 asts, 5 rebs

It may well be that he ends up with this level of production, but it would be an absolutely damning indictment on Sheppard’s drafting if it turns out they’ve taken 5 wings in (basically) the lottery of the last 5 drafts and 32-year-old Will Barton comes in via trade and plays over every single one of them. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It may well be that he ends up with this level of production, but it would be an absolutely damning indictment on Sheppard’s drafting if it turns out they’ve taken 5 wings in (basically) the lottery of the last 5 drafts and 32-year-old Will Barton comes in via trade and plays over every single one of them. 

I don’t think it is. Barton played like that last year for Denver as a starter. They were a playoff team in the West which is always tougher than the East to make the playoffs. To me, it’s perfectly fine if Barton the established vet & one the HC trusts the most starts over the developing young Kispert, Deni or Rui.

Plus, Barton knows what WUJ expects more than the young guys. Barton will be more reliable & consistent on both ends for WUJ. 

There’s still going to be 20-30 mpg for Corey, Deni & Rui. Look, I want Rui, Coreyor Deni to start at SF over Barton, but I think WUJ goes w/ Barton bc he trusts him to do what he’s supposed to do.

The young guys (Delon, Corey, Deni, Rui & Gaff) w/ Delon Wright at PG can run as a young bench mob & be a really good bench, better than most benches IMO. I see no issues with that at all.

WUJ will also obviously mix up the line ups based on match ups.

Someone on Twitter felt that a starting lineup of the following would be best:

PG: Morris

SG: Beal

SF: Kuz

PF: KP

C : Gaff

I don’t know about that. I’d be worried about guarding stretch 4s, guarding the 3 & having the foot speed to keep up with smaller wings & stretch 4s as well.

Edited by turtle28