Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I can’t believe Woj said he was a PG. Anyone who watched a lick of college basketball knows Johnny Davis is a SG.

I actually don’t hate the pick, he has always reminded me a lot of Beal. The issue we have is we still need a PG. I hope we sign a decent one like Tyus Jones when FA starts.

He feels a little like a young version of current Beal, who can’t really shoot from deep but has a variety of ways to score 2-point buckets. Not a natural creator, not a natural initiator, probably harder working. And plainly several levels lower as a scorer, at least at the moment.

Honestly, I like this pick a lot better if Beal leaves. I’m not really figuring out how they think you play those two together.

I love this pick, like you guys said he reminds you a lot of Beal, but……… this kid plays great defense! He looked like a top 5 pick before he got hurt and played through it last year.

again. We need a PG but who? I don’t want monte Morris or Brogdon. In an ideal world John Wall would come to a buyout decision with Houston and find his way back to Washington!

add in the 10 mill and 5 mill exception along with using a 5 mill trade exception we have we could potentially be a good team with depth.

a free agent I’m not the biggest on but would come cheap is Schroeder to play point

• Like 1

Can’t ever count on anything out of guys in the 2nd round, but Kennedy Chandler can really play.

Given the way my 1st round targets absolutely flew off the board right before our pick, I assume he’ll go shortly before us. Or we’ll take him and trade him for cash considerations.

EDIT: I’m also not a big TyTy Washington fan, but at 29? That’s a pick I surely would have made.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Can’t ever count on anything out of guys in the 2nd round, but Kennedy Chandler can really play.

Given the way my 1st round targets absolutely flew off the board right before our pick, I assume he’ll go shortly before us. Or we’ll take him and trade him for cash considerations.

😂 got selected immediately after I called his name. Good work E!

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

I love this pick, like you guys said he reminds you a lot of Beal, but……… this kid plays great defense! He looked like a top 5 pick before he got hurt and played through it last year.

Non-shooting wings are not exactly the way the NBA is going, though. He’s going to need to become at least a passable shooter, because he really was not one this past season. He was better as a freshman, on admittedly limited volume, and he was a pretty good FT shooter, so there’s some reasons for mild optimism there. 

Don’t mind the pick with Nzosa. Probably never becomes anything, but he’s been a name on the international circuit for a while, quite an athlete and shot-blocker/rim-runner. Not a bad gamble to look for one of those guys late in the draft — they’re basically a dime a dozen, which is why we’ve been smart not to give any big contracts to such players. 

Oh wait…

EDIT: I’m actually more excited about this pick with the more I read about it. He was apparently absolutely awful the past year, but prior to that he was a guy who was in the top 4 of the way-too-early ESPN mock draft for 2022. And they weren’t the only ones projecting him as a top 5 (or at least lottery) pick. That’s rarified air, and he accomplished some pretty remarkable things in the Spanish League for being so young and so inexperienced. Watching him, he’s crazy long and crazy fast. Really skinny, pretty uncoordinated, decent finisher. If you’re gonna buy a lottery ticket, might as well be a Mega Millions. Maybe he develops into a Clint Capela or something.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

He feels a little like a young version of current Beal, who can’t really shoot from deep but has a variety of ways to score 2-point buckets. Not a natural creator, not a natural initiator, probably harder working. And plainly several levels lower as a scorer, at least at the moment.

Honestly, I like this pick a lot better if Beal leaves. I’m not really figuring out how they think you play those two together.

We’ve needed a back up for Beal for years even if Beal stays, so I don’t hate the pick. Davis has good shooting form, so hopefully with some work he can get his 3-pt shooting % up to near or over 40%, I mean Heck Rui has. Rui has really improved as a 3-pt shooter the last few years, I see no reason why a guy like Davis couldn’t. I would say he’s a more physical Bradley Beal & he plays good D. I like the pick. I think eventually, whether it’s soon if Beal is traded or w/in a few years Davis will be our starting SG after Beal.

Also, maybe Beal plays more PG? In a Dame/Murray/Steph/Luka type role where he’s sets up the offense, is facilitator but also is the #1 option. A lot of teams have their best guard as their PG now.

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Don’t mind the pick with Nzosa. Probably never becomes anything, but he’s been a name on the international circuit for a while, quite an athlete and shot-blocker/rim-runner. Not a bad gamble to look for one of those guys late in the draft — they’re basically a dime a dozen, which is why we’ve been smart not to give any big contracts to such players. 

Oh wait…

EDIT: I’m actually more excited about this pick with the more I read about it. He was apparently absolutely awful the past year, but prior to that he was a guy who was in the top 4 of the way-too-early ESPN mock draft for 2022. And they weren’t the only ones projecting him as a top 5 (or at least lottery) pick. That’s rarified air, and he accomplished some pretty remarkable things in the Spanish League for being so young and so inexperienced. Watching him, he’s crazy long and crazy fast. Really skinny, pretty uncoordinated, decent finisher. If you’re gonna buy a lottery ticket, might as well be a Mega Millions. Maybe he develops into a Clint Capela or something.

I like it! A developmental Big, like Todd last year. Nothing wrong w/that. Although I still wish they had taken Cam Thomas last year, he was pretty solid when he plaster last year for Nets as a SG & Todd spent the year in the G-league.

Maybe 3 or 4 years from now he and Todd are in the rotation as bigs.

Edited by turtle28

The draft was fine. Worst kept secret we were going to get Davis, and I'm fine with the pick, despite him not being the actual PG we need. That said, it'll be nice to have him on the floor. 

Would have loved to have seen if 10 (Davis) plus Rui/Deni/Kispert/KCP or something else was enough to get to 5 to get Ivey.

Yannick is wildly interesting. Throwing a dart at a wall hoping it hits bullseye is fine with a late second rounder like that, especially if you weren't going to go the Vince Williams or Keve Aluma type route. He can be stashed for a long time. 

• Like 2