Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

42 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd start with their pick of Rui or Deni plus 10 and go from there. They may throw in Mo Harkless or something for salary purposes. I think KCP would be a good addition for them too. 

They definitely need shooting and defense on the wing. Unfortunately, those needs point to different guys between Rui and Deni — Rui took a crazy huge step forward as a shooter, but Deni was the much better defender. It’s actually a shame we can’t combine them into one guy. 

KCP really would be a good fit for them. They’d have to send back Richaun Holmes to match the salary though. Which would open up the possibility of Gafford. Is KCP and Gafford an interesting package to send along with 10 for 4 and Holmes? I genuinely don’t even know.

Edited by e16bball

If we were talking Rui and Deni and 10, I think I’d have to be really sold on Ivey’s jumper taking steps forward. First and foremost, it would have to actually become a “jumper,” because it’s somewhat awkwardly mostly a set shot at this point.

He’s not really a PG, in the sense of being a distributor and creator for others, and that means he’d have to be able to grow into a pretty good shooter in order to be worth that kinda price. If he’s going to become someone like Donovan Mitchell or pre-injuries Victor Oladipo as a bouncy, super-quick, super-fast, somewhat short ball-dominant guard — he really needs to be a legit 36-37% 3pt shooter to make them come out and play him. 

I like Ivey a lot more than anybody at 10, that’s for sure. I’m really not sold on TyTy and I don’t think I’m in on Dyson Daniels yet either. Taking another generic wing would be pretty brutal, but that seems to be how the board is setting up. I just don’t know that he’s the can’t-miss PG we’re looking for either, though, so I couldn’t just write them a blank check for him. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would say no. 

I think you’re probably right. Just don’t think KCP at $13M is much surplus value. Solid player, genuine 6th man on a contender, but you’re getting exactly what you’re paying for and nothing more out of a guy like that. 

Gafford at $1.9M is an incredible value for next season, but of course the extension the kicks in, and at that point he’s right in the same territory as KCP.

So it’s probably gotta be Rui and/or Deni and/or Kispert. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think you’re probably right. Just don’t think KCP at $13M is much surplus value. Solid player, genuine 6th man on a contender, but you’re getting exactly what you’re paying for and nothing more out of a guy like that. 

Gafford at $1.9M is an incredible value for next season, but of course the extension the kicks in, and at that point he’s right in the same territory as KCP.

So it’s probably gotta be Rui and/or Deni and/or Kispert. 

I mean regardless of how they've played I find it hard to believe that KCP (who was basically salary filler in last year's deal) and Gafford (who was dumped for scraps by the Bulls) have very much value.  I'm not sure Rui with only 1 year left on his rookie deal has a ton of value either, unless they really love his shooting.  That's why you might have to package him with one of the other young forwards, or throw in a future pick to get it done.  Or you could do a trade centered around Kuzma who probably has more value than all of them, I'm not sure Kuzma alone would get you to 4 though.  Maybe Kuzma, KCP, 10 and a 2nd?  

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I just think they have too much of a logjam at the forward positions at the moment — our 3 most recent 1st rounders in Rui, Deni, and Kispert, plus Kuzma. And really, KP plays more like a forward than a center, despite his size. 

All of those options, including John Wall sadly, are depressing. With the exception of Fultz, the other guys are all backup combo guards for a reason. They are score-first, shoot-first guards who are great as microwave type players for second units that struggle to get shots. None of those is the guy you want running your offense full-time.

Fultz is at least somewhat interesting because he has so much physical talent and actually (very) quietly played pretty decent for them last season when he got back. But he’s never been able to shoot a lick, and the injury history should scare even the Wizards away. Would bring back some shades of John Wall though. But what do we trade Orlando for him? They’ve got a glut of forward types as well, and they’ll likely be drafting another one at #1. Maybe Kispert, I guess they need some shooting in a major way. Seems like a steep price for a monster gamble at the PG position.

If they could sign Tyus Jones for the MLE, that’s probably the best of those options. But can they? And if that’s all it costs, why wouldn’t Memphis just pay a bit more to bring him back? He’s a great fit there behind Ja, creating for all those wing types. 

From what Sheppard has said, I think it’s going to be a trade. And I don’t really think they’ll see the point in taking baby steps with somebody else’s bench PG. If they want to try to take a run with Beal and KP, they should actually go for it. Not try to do it half-heartedly while also hoarding all these solid players in hopes they luck out and one of them takes a giant step towards stardom. I don’t think they’ll amount to anything, but it seems like they want to try. 

Oh, I agree. I’d just trade Rui/ Deni/Bryant & Our 1st before trading Kuz, but if trading Kuz gets us to the Sacramento slot like Mknight suggests and we can take Ivey, Johnny Davis or Benedict Mathurin at 4 i’d do it.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya that's why I think its more likely two of the youngsters on rookie deals are part of the package. 

Yes, Kuz, Rui or Deni & #10 for #4 & we can take Ivey, Johnny Davis or Benedict Murathin. 

Personally, I’d hope they’d take Deni but Rui has more value IMO bc he started his first 2 years & can average 13-15 ppg. 

I’d rather keep Rui though if we have to trade Kuz to get to 4. Rui isn’t as good as Kuz - certainly not as aggressive on either end - but Rui’s good for 14 pts & 6 plus rebs per game as a starter. Kuz is better than that & more aggressive on both ends but I don’t know if losing Kuz for Rui as a starter is a huge drop of.

I’m warming up to Mathurin, but having a bit of a hard time seeing him still there at 10 in this draft.

He’s very fast and very bouncy, really an excellent finisher above the rim. He’s got a nice stroke and he gets great elevation on his jumper. He can shoot it spotting up or on the move, and he has the rare ability to stop his lateral movement and elevate vertically to release the shot totally on-balance even when he’s on the move. Good cutter, much better off the ball than he is with it in his hands at this point. Showed some flashes of really impressive passes. Really impressed with how he basically dragged them across the finish line against TCU in the tourney.

I’d be happy bringing him aboard. He fits the profile of the kind of long, rangy, skilled wing athlete that every good team has several of at this point.

Beal should be on the trade block. Package him and possibly that 10th pick and see what offers you get. 

I would definitely call the Warriors about a deal involving Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, or Jordan Poole as the key peice Washington gets in return. 

I'm over the Bradley Beal fiasco he isn't a Championship Leading type player. He can help a team win but he can't be the Main Factor. Signing Beal to a Supermax is going to be a Huge mistake. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Beal should be on the trade block. Package him and possibly that 10th pick and see what offers you get. 

I would definitely call the Warriors about a deal involving Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, or Jordan Poole as the key peice Washington gets in return. 

I'm over the Bradley Beal fiasco he isn't a Championship Leading type player. He can help a team win but he can't be the Main Factor. Signing Beal to a Supermax is going to be a Huge mistake. 

Which of those guys do you consider to be a championship leading type player?

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m warming up to Mathurin, but having a bit of a hard time seeing him still there at 10 in this draft.

He’s very fast and very bouncy, really an excellent finisher above the rim. He’s got a nice stroke and he gets great elevation on his jumper. He can shoot it spotting up or on the move, and he has the rare ability to stop his lateral movement and elevate vertically to release the shot totally on-balance even when he’s on the move. Good cutter, much better off the ball than he is with it in his hands at this point. Showed some flashes of really impressive passes. Really impressed with how he basically dragged them across the finish line against TCU in the tourney.

I’d be happy bringing him aboard. He fits the profile of the kind of long, rangy, skilled wing athlete that every good team has several of at this point.

I don’t think he’ll be there at 10 either, we’d have to trade up for him which I doubt they do. If we want Johnny Davis or Mathurin, we’re going to have to trade up about 5 spots. I’d do it by trading Deni, Rui & #10 but I doubt they do.