Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN’s future power rankings have the Wizards at 29 (out of 30). Kinda hard to argue too harshly with that, it’s pretty hard to envision a scenario where they become anything resembling a legit contender. Get really lucky in the draft, I guess. 

On the bright side, Porzingis’s production looks great so far. If they can somehow unlock the secret to keeping him on the court (not bloody likely), he would make an excellent 3rd fiddle to our super-max 2nd fiddle. Now all they need to do is land an instant superstar with their late lottery pick, and they’ll really be in business.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

ESPN’s future power rankings have the Wizards at 29 (out of 30). Kinda hard to argue too harshly with that, it’s pretty hard to envision a scenario where they become anything resembling a legit contender. Get really lucky in the draft, I guess. 

On the bright side, Porzingis’s production looks great so far. If they can somehow unlock the secret to keeping him on the court (not bloody likely), he would make an excellent 3rd fiddle to our super-max 2nd fiddle. Now all they need to do is land an instant superstar with their late lottery pick, and they’ll really be in business.

For just 2022/2023? I'm not very bullish on this team, but the return of Beal, the start of Porzingis, the hopeful continued elevation of Kuzma, and then a bunch of mediocre or crap should be hire than 29th, no?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

For just 2022/2023? I'm not very bullish on this team, but the return of Beal, the start of Porzingis, the hopeful continued elevation of Kuzma, and then a bunch of mediocre or crap should be hire than 29th, no?

I think it’s supposed to reflect their prospects for the next 3 seasons, in terms of balancing what they have now against their available avenues for improvement. Taking into account the following 5 factors:

1. Players

2. Management

3. Market

4. Money

5. Draft Assets

The Wiz ranked 25th in both players and management, 15th in money (cap, I guess?), 19th in market, and 12th in draft assets. I think the “players” score is probably too low, as a team with Beal and Porzingis, plus guys like Kuzma and Deni and Rui and Gafford, probably has more current talent than that. But I think the money score is too high, as they’re mere months away from having two of the worst contracts in the sport for their stars. 

In looking at the overall scores, it looks like they basically came up narrowly at the bottom of a glut of similarly positioned teams: Sacramento, Houston, Detroit, Indiana, Orlando, Portland. 

I think they’ll be (much) better than 29th in wins over the next 3 seasons, so from that perspective, I agree with you that they’ve probably undersold this team. But in terms of their actual positioning to contend for championships moving forward, I do think it’s pretty awful. They’ve basically cemented themselves into the bottom part of the middle 3rd of the league — not bad enough to land a franchise-changer, not nearly good enough to matter. Hard to see them getting much better (or worse, even) than that under this owner and FO. 

• Like 2

Just checking in with Stephen A. Smith and a lot of other mouths who felt prepared to proclaim one week after the Porzingis trade that the Mavs had robbed the Wiz. 

The Unicorn is now checking in at 22/8/3, with a 27+ PER thus far. And he’s already at 17 and 10 through 17 minutes tonight.

I don’t know how exactly he fits in on a good team with a couple ball-dominant perimeter guys, and I don’t know how you keep him healthy long-term. But I do know that we absolutely destroyed them from a talent standpoint in that deal.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just checking in with Stephen A. Smith and a lot of other mouths who felt prepared to proclaim one week after the Porzingis trade that the Mavs had robbed the Wiz. 

The Unicorn is now checking in at 22/8/3, with a 27+ PER thus far. And he’s already at 17 and 10 through 17 minutes tonight.

I don’t know how exactly he fits in on a good team with a couple ball-dominant perimeter guys, and I don’t know how you keep him healthy long-term. But I do know that we absolutely destroyed them from a talent standpoint in that deal.

Watched a bit last night. He’s as advertised. 

• Like 1

At this point this is what I’m thinking the Wizards do in the off-season, it isn’t many moves but it have them back in the playoffs I believe:

Draft: Tyty Washington, PG, Kentucky 

FA PG signing: Tyus Jones, PG, Memphis 

If Tyus Jones starting minutes/36 mpg production is:

15 ppg, 8 asts & 4 rebs

That’s a solid 4th or 5th option after Beal, KP, Kuzma and KCP

Tyty Washington is a fast PG who get into the lane with ease, is a good passer, has a solid one or two dribble pull up midrange & floater game & can knock down the open 3, a 35% shooter from 3.

If we could make these acquisitions at PG it would do a lot to help our team push for home court in the conference.

Another thought on PG acquisition from DMVSports2015 on Twitter:

I think this really good idea. We’d certainly have to part with our 1st round pick to acquire Sexton & one of Deni, Kispert or Rui I would think to get him. Sexton, Beal, KCP, Kuzma & KP might get us home court next year in the playoffs. That’s a solid line up.

PG: Sexton, Ish Smith, Neto

SG: Beal, Sato, Jordan Schakel

SF: KCP, Deni

PF: Kuzma, Rui, Anthony Gil

C : KP, Gafford, Thomas Bryant, Vernon Carey

Anyone given thought to Beal playing PG for the #Wizards KCP at SG, Rui, Deni or Kispert starting at SF, then Kuz PF & KP @ C?

I don’t know that they’ll be able to get the PG upgrade we all crave & I’d rather start Beal at PG & the rest than today start an avg at best PG like an Ish type. Beal is capable of being a combo G who initiates the offense. I think that’s our best especially if Deni starts at SF bc he’s a point forward who can also initiate offense. 

Edited by turtle28

• 4 weeks later...