Preseason Wk 1: 49ers v Chiefs GDT

Forge

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I really just wish he threw the ball with more authority. There's just something so...i dont know, passive, about his ball in the air

He doesn't have the biggest arm, which I'm sure we all knew. He wasn't my first choice for our developmental guy in the draft (as evidence by my 'Are you smarter than a GM' selection). I obviously want him to be successful as he is a Niner, but his success will also most likely clear up another roster spot for us. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really just wish he threw the ball with more authority. There's just something so...i dont know, passive, about his ball in the air

Got any idea how strong his arm is supposed to be?  Average?  Better or worse than average?

I will ammend my previous statement, I know that was a question surrounding Beathard, but I just looked up his ball speed at the combine and it is right in line with guys like Mahomes and Webb. It does look like he doesn't put everything on it though, which is somewhat refreshing after watching Kap throw everything 100 MPH on a line.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I will ammend my previous statement, I know that was a question surrounding Beathard, but I just looked up his ball speed at the combine and it is right in line with guys like Mahomes and Webb. It does look like he doesn't put everything on it though, which is somewhat refreshing after watching Kap throw everything 100 MPH on a line.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

His arm strength is okay. Not good, not bad. But he's like that guy with who runs 4.35 in the 40, but then looks like he's stuck in mud in the game. Like, its there, but it doesn't translate on the field. Everything just looks like it floats. 

Damn, Lynch was great. Wonder whether he has a chance to leapfrog both Dumervil and Armstead to win the starting job if he continues to play like this. Obviously it was just one game though. Thomas looks ready for NFL action, if that all pans out like it looks right now it might push pass rush a bit down in the list of needs. 

Our young RBs are fun. Wonder whether we're considering cutting Hightower to get them on the field more often or maybe to they want to keep him around as veteran in case Hyde gets injured(which will happen). Anyway, RBs will be fine.

Absolute stand-out for me after Lynch was that Calitro fella, almost looked like he can get a hand on every single play. The ILB group has quite made a change this offseason. 

OL and secondary are a cause for concern, but that was expected. Y2 summed it up there:

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Year one was about getting front seven fixed + some roleplayers. 

Year two should be quarterback/offensive line/secondary. We have a deep draft coming up for offensive line, and a lot of early picks coming. 

Year three should be #1 WR/pass-rusher/leftover issues. 

Absolutely agree. Also think Witherspoon got a decent role to play this season. Jerome is cool, some nice hits but I'm sceptical about him as a single high safety. He still 'only' is an undrafted Rookie.

The WRs had some moments, Robinson especially, not sure Bourne is more than a player who shines in pre-season against 3rd stringers but we'll see. Would have liked to see a bit more of Tayler, so I'm looking forward to next week already.

Think Beathard looked just fine, he is what he is right now but doesn't look worse than Barkley imo, that's why the latter shouldn't be ahead of him. There is just no point tbh. Might consider keeping him though in case Hoyer gets injured. 

8 hours ago, big9erfan said:

According to roster Will Davis CB and Tim Patrick WR both wear 4.  Both got in a punt.

It was on the Chiefs. A few of our guys wear the same numbers. It's common in preseason. It's why I'm surprised there was a penalty.

12 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well - depends on what you're looking for. Preseason the games are live, but regular season they're not available when the game is being played. Before, you had to wait until all other NFL games were done for the day (so including the night game) before watching it, but last year I was able to watch about 30 minutes or so after the game was over. 

I have it and I get live games. Because I live in Macau. If you have a VPN, you can use it to buy the out of market package. So if I was living in the USA, this is what I would do. It's about $125 here. But everything is live and you get access to NFL Network, RedZone, and whatever else you want 24/7. I guess the downside is that you have to pay for the VPN too. You can find other uses for a VPN even if you are stateside though. 

Robinson disappointed.  I was expect a step forward for him.  Just one game I know, but looked like a step back.  The other disappoinment was Redmond.  He supposedly has enough talent so he could have turned out to be the surprise extra help we need in the secondary.  But he looked really slow out there.  Maybe not slow as in straight line speed, but not quick at all.  Don't see how he's going to be able to stay with slot receivers.

With Ward and Tartt  and Johnson coming back hopefully that will help the secondary look at least adequate.

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

One thing to remember about Aaron Lynch (who I am also excited stood out in yesterday's game) - he shined against backups last year as well in the preseason. It's really hard to put a lot of stock into these sorts of things.

At the same time, this is a contract year and he's in better shape. I'm not expecting a ton, but sack numbers similar to his first two seasons wouldn't surprise me

13 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Robinson disappointed.  I was expect a step forward for him.  Just one game I know, but looked like a step back.  The other disappoinment was Redmond.  He supposedly has enough talent so he could have turned out to be the surprise extra help we need in the secondary.  But he looked really slow out there.  Maybe not slow as in straight line speed, but not quick at all.  Don't see how he's going to be able to stay with slot receivers.

With Ward and Tartt  and Johnson coming back hopefully that will help the secondary look at least adequate.

He was dissapointing, but i don't see what you're talking about with him phaycislaly. He looked fine to me. He got burned by hill because he didn't jam him properly (or at all) and hill is a blazing fast. Bad combo. I'm more concerned about the effort, the arm tackle, being burnt on a route on the back shoulder throw, which he was in position for. 

He was a project player when we drafted him, and I expect this secondary to be bad this year, so this part of the team is going to be hard to watch. The upshot is at least we're giving young guys the shot to fail as oppose to the old, journeyman corner.  

But I suspect we go corner in the first three rounds unless a couple of people flash for us in a big way.

1 hour ago, John232 said:

If Bourne and Taylor continue to flash, I think Jeremy Kerley may end up getting traded for a corner or a guard. Then again, Kerley looked pretty solid too...

I'm not sure Kerley really holds any trade value. Atleast probably not enough to get something in return at CB that'll help us out there. I've been of the mindset to let Kerley go for a while now though, not sure we really need a WR 4 who offers little on special teams. I think Taylor takes the starting slot role at some point during the season and with Aldrick Robinson showing so well and having familiarity with the scheme he seems a better fit as our WR 3 so calling Kerley our WR 4 is probably generous. I'd rather keep Burbridge who seems to have impressed a lot on STs and another young guy as our WR 6, if we keep that many.

26 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm not sure Kerley really holds any trade value. Atleast probably not enough to get something in return at CB that'll help us out there. I've been of the mindset to let Kerley go for a while now though, not sure we really need a WR 4 who offers little on special teams. I think Taylor takes the starting slot role at some point during the season and with Aldrick Robinson showing so well and having familiarity with the scheme he seems a better fit as our WR 3 so calling Kerley our WR 4 is probably generous. I'd rather keep Burbridge who seems to have impressed a lot on STs and another young guy as our WR 6, if we keep that many.

I think Kerley will stick personally. I think he's a pretty solid receiver all around. I agree he is not the future of the slot position and I hope that Taylor takes over as quickly as possible, but from everything I've hear about Kerley this offseason, I think he is pretty safe. 

Archived