Around the NFL

Forge

On 5/24/2018 at 7:09 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

All these players are employed by the NFL. The players have the right to protest and do really whatever they want on the field, but it does not come without consequences. Playing in the NFL is a privilege and the NFL is a business; if they feel something is making the NFL brand look bad they have every right to do what they think is necessary to stop it. If you were working at a bank and you were swearing at all the customers, you are certainly exercising your freedom of speech, but again it would come with consequences. I personally think it is disrespectful to sit or kneel during the anthem, and I understand that players don’t feel that they are being disrespectful to our country or armed forces, but I feel there is a better way to bring their issues to light. To me this has turned into more of a pissing contest between the NFL and it’s employees than it is about their causes. I will say that their has been good that’s come from this though as they have raised large amounts of money to help different causes. I know this won’t be received well, but it my mind it’s what it really comes down to. At the end of the day, I don’t watch football to see who’s going to be standing or kneeling this week, I watch it because I love the game.

It's not really the same as deciding to swear at your place of work. The players are deciding NOT to participate in a ritual that has nothing to do with the service of their job. How does standing for the flag/forced patriotism have anything to do with conducting yourself as a football player? They're sitting down or taking a knee, and being silent about it. Or now, I guess deciding to stay in the locker room and not participate with the ritual (which I do think is a good compromise). I don't think it was in everyone's contract they had to stand for the anthem when they entered the NFL. The NFL is also getting paid to do the entire national anthem affair anyway. 

Forced patriotism is kind of disgusting to me, especially with so many problems in the USA, but it is what it is. Folks can believe in whatever fairy tales and bedtime stories they choose to. Hey, someone should make a video of sports stars standing for the national anthem running concurrently with the recent Sterling Brown video.

BTW, do you stand during the national anthem when you're at home or in a bar and see it on TV? Is everyone that is at the game stadiums getting concessions during the national anthem just being completely un-American? 

I think the scourging attention should be thrown directly on the media, and it is they who should suffer consequences from here on. 

I don't want or care to hear/see a single ideology from a single football player. I'm watching to see the dudes run around playing football... and not at all concerned with their beliefs or thoughts regarding anything other than the game.

Turn the media AWAY from all this bull-poop, and no one will give a rat's arse if this or that player is not inclined to stand for the Anthem.

Enough with all this silly drama!          smiley.gif

11 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I think the scourging attention should be thrown directly on the media, and it is they who should suffer consequences from here on. 

I don't want or care to hear/see a single ideology from a single football player. I'm watching to see the dudes run around playing football... and not at all concerned with their beliefs or thoughts regarding anything other than the game.

Turn the media AWAY from all this bull-poop, and no one will give a rat's arse if this or that player is not inclined to stand for the Anthem.

Enough with all this silly drama!          smiley.gif

In any case, the players don't need to do it during the anthem. The sport they play and the attention they get to play that sport can later be parlayed into attention to their causes. Score a game winning TD, then go to twitter after the game and remind people of all the injustices you want. What is truly missing from all these debates about the anthem is exactly what the players concerned should want to address. Instead of talking about their causes, they prefer to play the victims to the big bad owners. Boohoo... Stand up for the anthem, write your twitter handle on the black under you eyes, and be an activist there, online, where people can choose whether to follow you or not. Kneeling during the anthem draws attention to the debate about kneeling for the anthem, not the injustices themselves.

I personally don't really believe in protests, in 2018. Protests used to be the only to get your voice heard. Now, they're the best way to get your voice drowned in the cacophony. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Try as hard as I might, and even given BB's history of trading big name guys with a lot left in the tank, I still couldn't believe that they would trade Gronk. I just feel like they couldn't get his appropriate value on the market. He's worth more to them than anything that they are going to get from another team. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, so if Gronk isn't traded, then what? They trade for a WR? 

Maybe there's just no big news coming out? Maybe the original source's "big news" was based on the Gronk rumor, so it was wrong all along?  I dunno. I feel like they don't need a wide receiver even with Edelman, but I suppose that depends on the health of Hogan / Mitchell. 

Archived