Around the NFL

Forge

33 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

How can anyone be watching Mack destroy GB today and wonder if he's worth two firsts?

Did I say "destroy".  That was before he almost got a sack causing the QB is run into Roquan Smith who got a sack on his first play in the league. Oh, and also before his pick 6. I can't imagine what our D would be like if lined up outside of the other guys we've got. I guess he also had a pretty big part in the play where Rodgers hurt his knee. So let's see - took out the QB, got a QB strip for a turnover, got a pick 6, got a sack,  helped a teammate get a sack. Got some pressure that doesn't show up in the stat sheet - and he's not starting and doesn't know the scheme yeet. BTW - those are his first half stats

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Did I say "destroy".  That was before he almost got a sack causing the QB is run into Roquan Smith who got a sack on his first play in the league. Oh, and also before his pick 6. I can't imagine what our D would be like if lined up outside of the other guys we've got. I guess he also had a pretty big part in the play where Rodgers hurt his knee. So let's see - took out the QB, got a QB strip for a turnover, got a pick 6, got a sack,  helped a teammate get a sack. Got some pressure that doesn't show up in the stat sheet - and he's not starting and doesn't know the scheme yeet. BTW - those are his first half stats

I was one of the only ppl(I think Y2 agreed with me) that I would gladly give up 2 firsts for Mack...no hesitation whatsoever. It was clearly obvious to me, the kind of talent he possessed how clearly said talent is so desperately needed to compete in this league. Last night just confirmed what I already knew....

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I was one of the only ppl(I think Y2 agreed with me) that I would gladly give up 2 firsts for Mack...no hesitation whatsoever. It was clearly obvious to me, the kind of talent he possessed how clearly said talent is so desperately needed to compete in this league. Last night just confirmed what I already knew....

Definitely not the only one who would have given up two 1sts for him. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh my goodness if we had Warner, Foster, and Mack on the field at the same time we'd be a force.

In the immortal words of Meat Loaf, two out of three ain't bad.

The singer...not the dish. If your meatloaf has words with you, it's a clear sign of it being undercooked. 

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I was one of the only ppl(I think Y2 agreed with me) that I would gladly give up 2 firsts for Mack...no hesitation whatsoever. It was clearly obvious to me, the kind of talent he possessed how clearly said talent is so desperately needed to compete in this league. Last night just confirmed what I already knew....

There were a lot of people in here who would have given up two firsts for him, I'm pretty sure. Y2, Big, J...I don't mind two firsts, I didn't think the market would be required to get that high so didn't think it was necessary. Even though they technically did get firsts, I still don't view it in that spectrum since they gave the 2nd rounder back. I would have been fine with that trade from a niners perspective for that reason. They basically got a slightly better deal than the Jared Allen trade.

When all is said and done, the bears gave up a first (same as the vikings), the future third (same as the vikings), a 2019 6th for a 2020 5th (largely cancelling one another out, and similar to the late round swap of picks made in the Allen trade), and then the swap of a first / second. Likely, this value will be somewhere between a second and third round pick, though obviously could be a lot larger if the Bears crap the bed next season. So it's basically the Jared Allen trade with the potential to be a lot more, which is about right, since Mack doesn't have the dui issues and the like that Allen was facing and he is probably the better overall player (though Allen may be the better true pass rusher).

I thought the overall return was pretty fair

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I argued that purely based on what ytou get from Mack and what you'd likely get from two random picks it would be foolish not to do it.

19 hours ago, big9erfan said:

How can anyone be watching Mack destroy GB today and wonder if he's worth two firsts?

The question for me wasn't if he is worth two firsts. It is if he is worth two firsts plus along with Garoppolo almost 1/3 of your salary cap for the next five years with in that periode guys like Buckner needing a extension. For now it would have been no problem salary wise but speculating the growth of the salary cap is dangerous business so to me it was not worth it and i think we would be better of having two guys for 10 mil a year plus two extra firsts. And yes i know the chance you net a player like Mack with that first is small and with the money you don't get top guys but besides the QB and for lower paid positions (for example i don't mind that Juice is so highly paid compared to other FB's because he has such a different role than just being the lead blocker) i dont want to have the guy that gets paid the most from a roster perspective because your roster management doesn't get messed up when the guy you signed for top top dollar doesn't end up working like you envisioned. 

Archived