Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think BOB would have had a chance to come back given Watson's injury, but what I heard on the radio is that he and upper management just don't get along. I think that they would be a good place to take a shot on Matt Nagy. He's been learning under Reid, and Reid has done an amazing job of incorporating some of the college game and taking advantage of Alex's athleticism, which Nagy would be a part of as well, so I think that he could really bring something to the table that would take full advantage of everything Watson brings to the table. It's a risk, given how inexperienced he is, but sometimes those things pay off. 

I see, but doubt he gets fired if the Texans win say 10 games with Watson. Not saying they would have since they were 3-4 at that point, but the offense was going toe to toe with ANY top team. They lost two of those games due to BOB getting conservative at the end and not trusting Watson to make a play with his arm. Which is laughable considering how he was lighting up the Pats and Seahawks. 

We're seeing it with Garoppolo, amazing what really good QBs bring to the table. Make the team competitive and competent despite it being heavily flawed.

In a season when Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins each were suspended by the New York Giants, Pro Bowl safety Landon Collins sees another cornerback as the secondary's biggest in-house problem.

When asked what changes should be made to the Giants secondary next year, Collins called Eli Apple "a cancer" during a Tuesday interview with Bob Wischusen on "The Michael Kay Show" on 98.7 ESPN New York.

Apple, a top-10 pick in last year's draft, didn't play a single defensive snap in Sunday's loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He has detractors in the locker room and throughout the organization because of his actions, which have earned him a spot on the bench multiple times this season.

"There's only just one corner that ... needs to grow, and we all know who that is," said Collins, one of the more popular players in the locker room. "That would be the only person I would change out of our secondary group. Besides, the other two guys, [Rodgers-Cromartie] and [Jenkins], I love those two guys. They play hard. They love what they do.

"But that first pick ... he's a cancer."

Oof, that's some talk right there. 

Interestingly, we could possibly take advantage of the issues that the Giants have with their corners. Jenkins has a deal that runs 3 more years, and while the cap hits are high, there's no guaranteed money on them. He basically quit on the team this year, was suspended once and battled some injuries, so his time may be done there. He can still play corner, though, so that may not be a bad pick up for us. And if they are sick of Apple, he'd present another interesting corner to grab, though these words are obviously not kind. 

47 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/12/family_strife_at_the_root_of_giants_cb_eli_apples.html

Pretty wild stuff going on with this dude. I'd throw a 4th round pick at most for him, but he needs Dr. Phil more than anything

Exactly the very last thing we need here right now. Hope the kid gets through his struggles but not at the risk of ruining our locker room. Wouldn't trade a kicking tee for him IMO...

2 hours ago, Psychlone said:

Exactly the very last thing we need here right now. Hope the kid gets through his struggles but not at the risk of ruining our locker room. Wouldn't trade a kicking tee for him IMO...

ehh he's a 22 year old kid caught up in family drama in public, who let that impact his play on the field and relationships with teammates. I think thats an issue maturity and a change of scenery can help improve. Like the Deangelo Russell of the NFL in a way.

44 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

ehh he's a 22 year old kid caught up in family drama in public, who let that impact his play on the field and relationships with teammates. I think thats an issue maturity and a change of scenery can help improve. Like the Deangelo Russell of the NFL in a way.

I get the drama and feel bad for the kid BUT he let the drama affect his team and that's a chance that I personally would not take especially right now. Let this possible feel good resurrection of his career happen somewhere else and I will gladly forego the lost potential capital lost IMO... Gotta say I love the Deangelo Russell reference but let that 1/100 chance play out in Brooklyn and hope it works out, not in Santa Clara... Just (a lot) older and more risk averse I guess... ;)

7 hours ago, Psychlone said:

I get the drama and feel bad for the kid BUT he let the drama affect his team and that's a chance that I personally would not take especially right now. Let this possible feel good resurrection of his career happen somewhere else and I will gladly forego the lost potential capital lost IMO... Gotta say I love the Deangelo Russell reference but let that 1/100 chance play out in Brooklyn and hope it works out, not in Santa Clara... Just (a lot) older and more risk averse I guess... ;)

I agree with this for now. The team is way too young to be taking chances on talented, but openly troubled players. Our vet in Apple's position group might very well be Apple himself in 2018, and outside of Malcolm Smith and Earl Mitchell, he could very well be the most veteran player on the entire defense. If he maintained the same attitude here, that could truly destroy this team. On offense, I might take a player like that because I'd trust in vets like Garoppolo, Staley, Goodwin, and Garcon to keep them more in line. But as players are still growing in maturity on the other side, that's a much larger risk to me. Too big.

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Oof, that's some talk right there. 

Interestingly, we could possibly take advantage of the issues that the Giants have with their corners. Jenkins has a deal that runs 3 more years, and while the cap hits are high, there's no guaranteed money on them. He basically quit on the team this year, was suspended once and battled some injuries, so his time may be done there. He can still play corner, though, so that may not be a bad pick up for us. And if they are sick of Apple, he'd present another interesting corner to grab, though these words are obviously not kind. 

Aren't these the goons that went on a boat cruise before a playoff game? Nah I'm good.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Aren't these the goons that went on a boat cruise before a playoff game? Nah I'm good.

No, that was the wide receivers. OBJ, Roger Lewis, Shepherd and Victor Cruz. So far as I know, none of the corners were involved. 

Archived