Eric Kendrick’s Signs Extension 5Yr/$50M

gopherwrestler

I'm a lil bit concerned with this signing. He was the 4th of the 4 I would have preferred signing. Does that mean that we approached the other 3 and they weren't interested in an extension at the numbers we were proposing?

Hunter is not in the expendable category, & Barr is extremely valuable (& I think he is the most likely to get an extension this offseason of the 3 remaining). Waynes could very well be playing on his last year now.

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm a lil bit concerned with this signing. He was the 4th of the 4 I would have preferred signing. Does that mean that we approached the other 3 and they weren't interested in an extension at the numbers we were proposing?

It could mean that, but being honest it is a lot more likely that the team's desired order of signing the players is different then your desired order. Also, keep in mind that the order a team tries to resign players in is not necessarily descending order of the team's feelings on the players significance to the team. It is a lot more complex than that.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

It could mean that, but being honest it is a lot more likely that the team's desired order of signing the players is different then your desired order. Also, keep in mind that the order a team tries to resign players in is not necessarily descending order of the team's feelings on the players significance to the team. It is a lot more complex than that.

Sure it's more complex than that, not trying to imply its not.

But the most logical one is Barr, to bring down his current cap number too provide current\future space. Hunter should be the next preferred to get done this offseason, & not having to tag him next offseason when he likely posts better stats etc

Other than being a fan of him and the Vikings, what entitles Diggs to a big contract? 

- He’s never had a season with 100 receptions. 

- He’s never had a season with 1,000 yards. 

- He’s never had a season with 10+ touchdowns. 

- He’s never been named to the Pro Bowl. 

- He’s never been named to an All Pro team.

- He’s missed time every year due to injury. 

All of the wide receivers that we’ve recently seen sign for big money have accomplished at least one of these feats. In fact, every wide receiver with an AAV of $10M, or more, had accomplished at least one of those fears before they received their big contracts  

What exactly is on on Diggs’ resume to bring to the table during negotiations?

I like Kendricks but he's been more of of a pretty good player than a great one. He missed too many tackles last year. He's good in coverage but doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball. He's not a great run stopper in short yardage situations, can get driven back by stronger RBs. 

His position also seems the easiest to replace. The fact that he started as a rookie 2nd round pick and was pretty good from day one is part of that. None of the other major contributors on the Vikings defense last year (roughly in order: Griffen, Smith, Rhodes, Joseph, Barr, Hunter, Waynes) were acquired for so cheap and still contributed so early.

Lots of off-ball LBs contribute even as rookies, including some drafted outside the 1st round -- by PFF, rookies who were graded about as well as Kendricks did for the Vikings last year: 

• 2017: Foster (30th pick), Cunningham (57), Milano (163), Davis (21)
  • 2016: Jatavis Brown (175), Cravens (53), Deion Jones (52), Martinez (131), Kwiatkoski (113)
  • 2015: Perryman (48), McKinney (43), Shaq Thompson (25), Jordan Hicks (84), Heeney (140), Kendricks (45)

There's a few late 1sts in that list but mostly day 2 picks with a few day 3 picks included. Point is just that if they needed to replace what Kendricks did last year in 2019, because he was moving on, they could've waited to draft someone next year. 

It seems Kendricks' contract will be similar to Anthony Hitchens (former Cowboys LB) FA deal with the Chiefs. He got $45M/5, but that's for 2018-22, while Kendricks' extension will run from 2019-23, and is effectively a 6 year deal for $51.6M including the last year of his rookie contract, which will be supplemented now with his signing bonus. 

Overall, I'm not unhappy to retain a good player, but I think Barr, Diggs and especially Hunter are more valuable to the long-term success of the team. 

One thing I'll say about Kendricks is I can never fault his effort and enthusiasm. I hope he stays healthy and earns the entire contract. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Other than being a fan of him and the Vikings, what entitles Diggs to a big contract? 

All of the wide receivers that we’ve recently seen sign for big money have accomplished at least one of these feats.

Agree that Diggs should be on the cheaper end of the spectrum of recent WR deals -- also, he'd be an extension a year early, not a UFA contract on the open market, which limits the price -- but this kind of stats based logic reminds me of the argument in 2013 that Everson Griffen wasn't worth paying $9M AAV as a starting edge rusher. 

Ideally, you pay players for what they're about to do, not what they've done. With Diggs and Hunter, there's some projection involved, but it's easy for me to believe that Diggs (who doesn't turn 25 until late November) still has his best days ahead of him. 

5 hours ago, Boda said:

I'm going to have to disagree.

Barr >> Hunter >>> Diggs.  Barr allows a lot of the other defensive players to do things they normally wouldn't be able to do.  Where as we finally have a QB that should be able to make average talent look good not to mention we already have Thielen locked up

I agree, Diggs would be last no doubt.  However could argue Hunter over Barr because our current DE situation outside of Griffen, then again Barr at his size holds the edge very well much like a DE would anyway.  Mind you Barr is a three time Pro Bowler which is great, but honestly that might have more to do with the lack of great OLB play or LB play in general around the league, not a lot of solid LBs around I feel outside of a few great ones.  

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

All of the wide receivers that we’ve recently seen sign for big money have accomplished at least one of these feats. In fact, every wide receiver with an AAV of $10M, or more, had accomplished at least one of those fears before they received their big contracts  

What did Sammy Watkins do to deserve what he got. Id easily take Diggs over Watkins.

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Those first five statements are likely all due to the sixth.

Like it or not, people hope for the best. Even though it hasn't happened yet, people can still hope that Diggs will stay healthy.

And health or not, while he hasn't reached those milestones, he has hit 50 catches and 700 yards in each of his three seasons. Only 18 players have hit those milestones in each of the last 3 seasons, including only 15 wide receivers. He's near the bottom of this list, but he's on the list.

http://pfref.com/tiny/QX9Qg

Archived