WHAT IF......QB Edition

cortes02

I was thinking about this the other day in regards to the QB's and if they didn't have their major flaws:

WHAT IF.........

Sam Darnold didn't have turnover issues and an elongated throwing motion?

Josh Rosen didn't have injury concerns and perceived questions about his love for the game?

Baker Mayfield was 6'3" and the didn't have so called attitude concerns?

Josh Allen had a good completion percentage and played well against the Div. 1 teams he faced?

Obviously they ALL have their real flaws but if they didn't, which QB would you want the Browns to pick #1 overall.  I thought it would be interesting to see who others would pick.  Would you stay with the guy you've been backing this whole time or would you go with someone else since they do not have the so called flaws they once had. 

I'm a Sam Darnold guy but I would most likely switch to Josh Allen if he didn't have his flaws. 

Peace!!!

Darnold would still be my numeral uno, or number one for you less educated. 

Rosen would be an even closer 1b. Would be scared not to take him. 

Mayfield would still easily be numeral dos. No not the computer program you less educated one. 

Wow Allen?  Could vault up to 1b or a depending if I was confident with his mental game. But more than likely I’d make him 1c as I dock him for lesser conference. Similar to the way I docked Wentz. 

For me in the "what if" world of wonder 

1a. Jackson - If he was alittle thicker and accurate....hands down....Jackson.

1b. Allen - Prototypical size, good movement skills, big arm and accurate. 

3. Darnold - If his throwing motion wasn't so wide open and his turnover issues were mediocre at best.....I'd be on that train. 

4. Mayfield - Like Skeelo, I wish I was alittle bit taller, and could improvise better under true pressure. Other than that....I love the way he is. 

5. Rosen - Injury bug wasn't an issue, and was willing to just play football for anyone....I'd love him even more. 

My rankings as they are now. 

1. Rosen - Eli Ryan

2. Mayfield - Drew Favre

3. Darnold - Steve Y. Tebow

4. Allen - Jamarcus Stafford

5. Jackson - Deshone Vick

My comparisons. Haha

If Darnold was a little more cautious with some of his throws when there isn't anything there then he would get a nice little boost for me.

If Rosen didn't have concussion concerns he would get a huge boost from me.

If Mayfield was an inch taller and more reserved I would see him the same way so not really any advantage to him for me (6'1 and being cocky won't make a QB fail)

If Allen was accurate he would get a huge boost from me.

In other words, Allen has a long way to go to get to the top. Rosen does because of medical. Darnold is pretty close to being a great prospect. Mayfield really has little that he needs to improve upon as a prospect (may be entirely different as a pro).

So my draft order would be

Mayfield
Darnold

Rosen

Allen

For me:

Darnold: Delivery is a non-issue for me and the turnovers don’t bother me.  Lots of top QB’s turned the ball over early in their career.

Mayfield: Assuming he checks out character wise (hard to tell from the outside) he’s #2.  I like his game. So would more folks if he had an “Aw schucks” personality.

Rosen: Good QB prospect, not a great fit here imo.

Jackson: I don’t like run first QB’s, especially slender ones.  He hasn’t shown the ability to throw outside the has marks.  If a team is willing to commit to his style, he could be electric before the inevitable injuries.

Allen:  I want to like him.  I recognize his immense physical talents, great character and smarts, but he’s not actually show to be good at football.  That matters to me. IMO he’s going to need multiple years on the bench a la Rodgers to succeed.

They would all sound too perfect for me to decide. I'd have to watch the tape with their new and improved traits...

...After having imagined watching the tape, I'd probably choose Mayfield or Darnold, but I think Dorsey would take Allen, because he's basically Carson Wentz if those major flaws were not an issue, and he fits all of Dorsey's ideal QB characteristics.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mayfield: Assuming he checks out character wise (hard to tell from the outside) he’s #2.  I like his game. So would more folks if he had an “Aw schucks” personality.

As a Darnold supporter, I think this is true. Imagine if Baker Mayfield had all the walk on success story stuff, all the leadership qualities, stats, on field success, Heisman trophy and etc. that he already has but had the personality of Colt McCoy. It would literally be a coin flip for most people I think. Like I said, I want us to draft Darnold but I won't be mad if we draft Mayfield. All the folks down in Mayfield Hts would buy a jersey I think :D

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Jackson: I don’t like run first QB’s, especially slender ones.  He hasn’t shown the ability to throw outside the has marks.  If a team is willing to commit to his style, he could be electric before the inevitable injuries.

Jackson runs like Vick but has the body of RG3. 

He could have a hot start his rookie year or year two and every fan boy going "OMG' "GOAT' but then be out of the league by year 5, or a lot less effective. While Darnold and Baker have solid 8-10 year careers. 

A running QB is like Greg Littles run blocking, it is great that you are great at this, but I wan you to run routes and catch passes. 

A QB's job is to throw the ball to your team effectively 16+ weeks per season, if you can do other cool things it is great, but if you aren't able to do number 1 for the whole season i am out. 

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Jackson is inaccurate. And a see open guy throw to open guy qb. He’s below Allen, yeah I said it despite the weird Allen hatred. 

I honestly think Jackson is more likely to have success than Allen.  

Using the RGIII or Deshaun Watson model of small playbook, read option, etc he could be electric, but he won’t hold up imo, just like Watson didn’t last year and RGIII didn’t.  Newton is the only guy to be able to do that, but he’s in another stratosphere physically.

Allen has a steep climb to become a good QB.  He wasn’t even a good QB in college. The NFL won’t be any easier I imagine.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I honestly think Jackson is more likely to have success than Allen.  

Using the RGIII or Deshaun Watson model of small playbook, read option, etc he could be electric, but he won’t hold up imo, just like Watson didn’t last year and RGIII didn’t.  Newton is the only guy to be able to do that, but he’s in another stratosphere physically.

Allen has a steep climb to become a good QB.  He wasn’t even a good QB in college. The NFL won’t be any easier I imagine.

Yeah I hear you. I think he has a shot at qb, I just don’t think it’ll be a long career if they play him the way he needs to. He’s an exciting as heck college qb, I just don’t see an nfl one. I will definitely be watching his career with curiosity, as I will Allen. 

I honestly don't think Mayfield's height is as big a problem as not knowing if he can play as well when the wide receivers arent schemed open.

I like him as a player, but anyone coming out of Oklahoma's offense does scare me a little...

Archived