Your official Round 1 prediction

Superduperman

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Do you think that Davenport is worth the pick at #20?

Beyond Chubb, Barkley, and a handful of non QB’s I’m really not sure whose worth it. 

Davenport seems to have a great deal of talent so I suppose he’s as worthy as others. This is a hard draft. Beyond the top 15 or so things really seem to equal out and numerous players seem to have very similar grades. With many of the defensive players it boils down to how Patricia views their fit. I know he values flexibility. 

What do you think?

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

Beyond Chubb, Barkley, and a handful of non QB’s I’m really not sure whose worth it. 

Davenport seems to have a great deal of talent so I suppose he’s as worthy as others. This is a hard draft. Beyond the top 15 or so things really seem to equal out and numerous players seem to have very similar grades. With many of the defensive players it boils down to how Patricia views their fit. I know he values flexibility. 

What do you think?

The analyst from "Inside the Lions" was discussing Davenport and the comparisons with Ansah. He was mentioning how he doesn't see the same speed-to-power in Davenport that Ansah had when faced against the competition at the Senior Bowl. I would say he offers up a lot of athletic skills but is more of a long-term project. I'm not sure if I would like to take on a low floor/high ceiling player like Davenport opposite of Ansah. This is short term thinking but I'd like to see someone a little more polished who can contribute immediately.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Beyond the top 15 or so things really seem to equal out and numerous players seem to have very similar grades. 

What do you think?

Here's to hoping 5 or more QBs go before we're on the clock!

I think they'll go the DE route unless some stud DT drops in their lap but Davenport/Landry... Either one of those two are who I THINK they'll pick.

I want them to pick Isaiah Wynn.

Wouldn't surprise me to watch them trade back and draft Darrius Guice too.

All over the board a bit but basically it's going to be Davenport/Landry, and I want them to pick Wynn, and unlikely but possible for them to trade back and draft Guice.

Its not that I think Davenport and Landry are not one of 15 guys worthy of the spot, but I feel like they started being projected to the Lions simply due to ties to the new coaching staff. Davenport played for Bo Davis and Landry played for Paul Pasqualoni. This was mentioned alot in early mocks and I'm not sure those ties are enough to differentiate them from other players. I love the upside to both guys however.

17 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You still have Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, available by then. I don't know if I would rank Penny much higher than Johnson. I'm sure Michel is going to be a solid player but I don't feel like he fits what we need. Blount is a temporary placeholder. A guy with a little more size and power that can move the chains fits that bill IMO.

Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson and Royce Freeman are 4th tier RBs in this draft for me. I'm not high on them and IMO, our biggest need (RB) needs more than a player who might not beat out Abdullah.

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson and Royce Freeman are 4th tier RBs in this draft for me. I'm not high on them and IMO, our biggest need (RB) needs more than a player who might not beat out Abdullah.

I could be wrong on this and if I am right, I'm also not suggesting this is the right approach. What if they don't necessarily want someone who might beat out Abdullah but someone that offers a different skillset? What if they like the foursome of Blount, Riddick, Abdullah + rookie in a RBBC and will just rotate guys to take advantage of perceived advantages each player offers. Blount is our newly acquired FA and offers the size/power we didn't have last year; Riddick is a reliable pass catching option and is being paid well for his role; Abdullah is a former 2nd round pick (for what it's worth) and articles have mentioned his health this off-season. There's a decent enough chance that he sticks around on the roster for the time being.

If this is the approach that they take, they wouldn't have to invest in a guy like Guice in the 1st. Would you be ok if they went with this approach and not relied on one guy to fix the run game? (Assuming this approach does address the short yardage conversion issues and a more consistent run game overall).

Here's my next official prediction: the Lions won't take Davenport even if they stay at 20 and he's there.

The more I think about it, he just doesn't have a lot of versatility to his game, even after he develops more. He's a 4-3 end and doesn't project to do much else. We have one of those already. I don't think they'll take a second one. I'll bet they take Bryan or Hurst or Evans before they take him.

I don't think we will have the opportunity to take Davenport as I think he goes top 15.  Pass rushers are a premium and he is the second best in this class.  I hope he falls, if not I hope Landry falls.  I wont be mad if we draft Wynn or Daniels or Guice but that's about it. Those are pretty much the 5 guys I want.  I can see us drafting a DT but it would not be my first choice.  If we do go DT I hope its Bryan as I think he has more pass rush upside.

Archived