LAST MINUTE BAKER BOAT

mistakey

A short history of the final stage of Browns insanity:

We did not move up to take Goff

We passed on Wentz

The Best QB prospect since Luck went and lit up college football

Draftniks said pass on Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, etc b/c Darnold and Rosen will be available next year

Somehow we sucked enough to earn the number 1 pick...

We pass on Darnold and Rosen...

It's applauded, celebrated, and rationalized....

It's the biggest mistake we've ever made in this franchise's history...

26 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I'm Dizzy now... Oh hell to the nah...

What awaits this forum after Baker goes 1 is... long post apocalypse...

this forum will be way better off comparatively if baker goes #1 as compared to allen

i know theres no way to prove this but im stickin by my guns

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

A short history of the final stage of Browns insanity:

We did not move up to take Goff

We passed on Wentz

The Best QB prospect since Luck went and lit up college football

Draftniks said pass on Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, etc b/c Darnold and Rosen will be available next year

Somehow we sucked enough to earn the number 1 pick...

We pass on Darnold and Rosen...

It's applauded, celebrated, and rationalized....

It's the biggest mistake we've ever made in this franchise's history...

Passing on Wentz was fair. There’s wasnt a historical basis for taking him. He is anonjury risk and he has to get over that before we can anoint that a mistake. Goff I liked and wanted, we should of traded up for him. 

Sachi would have a job if we traded up for Mahomes imo. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

There's no reality imo where Baker is better than Darnold...

For the love of all that is good... people please stop bringing up the OSU game as if Baker's paint by the numbers, RPO, read option game was close to the anticipation throwing and Quarterbacking under duress of Darnold...

But beyond that game...

No one who has come to a consensus has done so because of two games. Baker Mayfield earned the talk that he has been getting. He exceeded expectations every year. He wasn't a preseason all pro, he wasn't a projected 1st round pick, he walked on to 2 different teams, he broke passing efficiency records back to back years. Will he be the best of the class, I don't know. He wasn't supposed to be the best player in the nation last year but he was. He has at least as strong of an arm as Mayfield (likely stronger), every bit as accurate, sure he is a little over 2 inches shorter (like Aaron Rodgers is 2 inches shorter than Sam Bradford, who cares) but Mayfield walked on to Oklahoma and did everything he could do with the opportunity in front of him.

You say he can't match Darnold's field vision yet I believe no other prospect can match Mayfield's field vision. Mayfield progresses through reads at least as quickly as Darnold, I'd say quicker. Darnold does avoid pressure better within the pocket but he had more opportunities to have that highlighted. Darnold is better throwing awkward passes, whether fading away, off balance or without his feet under him, there shouldn't be many opportunities for those throws in the NFL though because it won't translate.

They are both good prospects. Mayfield progresses his reads quickly and zips the ball to the best option like a Drew Brees, a lot of the time they are shorter throws but it opens up downfield throws if you can be accurate. Darnold prefers to try to hit a bigger pass, ala Roethlisberger, make something happen and hope someone separates downfield. Both styles work. Our system is closer to what Darnold does and he may be the better pick for us. It just depends on where they go and what is asked of them to determine who is a better pro prospect. This isn't a 1st round grade vs. a 4th round grade unless you think Mayfield isn't accurate or doesn't have a strong arm or isn't a leader or isn't intelligent or can't progress reads or can't throw with anticipation, in which if that is the case you just can't look at it with unbiased eyes.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Most annoying Baker Mayfield fallacy of them all, imo

just a fallacy to you because you disagree.

the stats say the dude can play
everyone who interviews the dude says he can play/talk about the game
the tape shows that he sure can throw a very very very accurate ball

people just dont like the guy

Just now, mistakey said:

just a fallacy to you because you disagree.

the stats say the dude can play
everyone who interviews the dude says he can play/talk about the game
the tape shows that he sure can throw a very very very accurate ball

people just dont like the guy

I don’t have that much of a problem with the guy tbh. I hope he succeeds. Bit worried about his behaviour and potential for trouble in the future but I don’t dislike the guy.

if it’s a fallacy to me because I disagree, it’s a truth to you because you agree. All opinions.

The stats have said many dudes can play in the history of the nfl. Many have been able to talk/play the game through college. Many have had tape of accurate throws in college. And many that have checked all three boxes couldn’t play in the nfl.

Anyway if it comes down to ‘people just don’t like the guy’, then there’s probs no point debating it. It seems at this point Mayfield’s on field projection is beyond debate and it’s just haters that don’t want him on the Browns.

Just now, candyman93 said:

It’s not fair, but I can’t think of a successful big 12 QB. It’s a MONSTEROUS jump from facing Big 12 defenses to facing the NFL. Georgia made him look average in the 2nd half and OT of the rose bowl.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Sam Bradford has probably been the best QB to come out of the Big 12 in the past 10-15 years. So, that's not very good. The offense Mayfield played in and the defenses he faced are my biggest concerns about him. I really couldn't care less about his height or his antics.

I do like Baker, but anyone but Darnold would be a bit of a disappointment.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s not fair, but I can’t think of a successful big 12 QB. It’s a MONSTEROUS jump from facing Big 12 defenses to facing the NFL. Georgia made him look average in the 2nd half and OT of the rose bowl.

And there hadn't been a successful Tedford QB until Aaron Rodgers came along.  There hadn't been a successful Penn State RB in awhile until Larry Johnson came around

Archived