MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

9 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Im not sure stipe deserves an immediate rematch. Im not sure where the idea thay every champ deserves a rematch but he didnt really show that he deserved one. Let dc fight lewis then have the rematch/stipe vs lewis. Or if stipe is so ready to fight have him fight another contender. 

Dc doesnt sell because hes generally annoying. Hes not really hatable like some other people and hes not loveable like other fighters. Its just weird and at times annoying. 

I think it depends on the champ and what their reign was like. Stipe was king of the toughest division to be called champ because everyone can be had at HW. JJ crushed the straweight division from the moment she got the belt, she deserved a shot. I think Aldo deserved an immediate rematch as well. I dont think Woodley/Thompson should have been an immediate rematch. 

I honestly feel like he doesn't sell as much because of Bones. We've seen him get beat twice and once in dramatic fashion. While that one was in a dirty test pool but the people will still remember how that fight ended too. I do still think it isn't right though. He went toe to toe with Gusty playing Mauler's game and won, beat a beast in Rumble and Stipe and still cant sell? Crazy

7 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Id say cody deserved a shot more then stipe. Cody was had tj hurt and most likely would have finished him if it wasnt for the bell. With no real contenders after him. 

Stipe got finished in the first round and derrick lewis has beaten everyone there is to beat outside stipe. 

Cody is so freakin annoying though. He isn't like everyone else that fakes hatred to sell. He legit wants TJ dead but his anger ruined him in both fights just winding up to knock his block off

7 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Khabib doesn't sell either 

but DC is a two class champ. More wins by knockout than decision. With people putting him in the goat talk. Which would make him the only “goat” that doesnt/didnt get relatively high ppv buys. 

I know that is technically true but 6 of those fights are vs:

Dion Staring

Lucas Browne

Jason Riley

John Devine

Gary Frazier

Patrick Cummins

Who da fook are those guys? Cummins was like a +1200 or something crazy that night

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cody is so freakin annoying though. He isn't like everyone else that fakes hatred to sell. He legit wants TJ dead but his anger ruined him in both fights just winding up to knock his block off

Ya his anger definitely got ahead of him. Especially the second fight. 

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know that is technically true but 6 of those fights are vs:

Dion Staring

Lucas Browne

Jason Riley

John Devine

Gary Frazier

Patrick Cummins

Who da fook are those guys? Cummins was like a +1200 or something crazy that night

Ya im not saying that as a reason for him to be praised just that its not like the majority of the time he has boring decisions.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

He may be talking that but I'll believe it when I see it. Especially if Jones is the winner. Same or bigger payday than Lesnar and revenge.

I feel like DC wants the Lesnar fight because he knows he can win that one. I just cant imagine he wants any part of Jones. He will claim that he won't fight him because he is a cheater and maybe he can live with that but I'd be shocked if he fought Bones before Lesnar. Now if he has 2 fights after Lewis then let it be vs Lesnar and then Bones in his farewell. Even promote it as DC's last fight. People will eat that ish up

11 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Dc doesnt sell because hes generally annoying. Hes not really hatable like some other people and hes not loveable like other fighters. Its just weird and at times annoying. 

He doesn't sell because of his image (dad bod doesn't appeal to the casuals) and because he isn't decisive. People hate guys like Bones and Conor, which in turn makes their fans even more vocal. So you have two sides of the coin who get really heated. DC doesn't generate that kind of "tune in to see him lose" kind of thing

Edited by Buckrock101

1 minute ago, Buckrock101 said:

He doesn't sell because of his image (dad bod doesn't appeal to the casuals) and because he isn't decisive. People hate guys like Bones and Conor, which in turn makes their fans even more vocal. So you have two sides of the coin who get really heated. DC doesn't generate that kind of "tune in to see him lose" kind of thing.

And for the post above that said DC's fights are boring decisions... Idk wtf you are talking about. His only one that could be considered "boring" was the Silva fight. Not every decision is boring. 

But then again, I guess thats the impression casuals have, again probably because of the dad bod image. If he fights exactly the same, but has pecs and a six pack, I don't think he has a reputation for being boring at all.

I was saying that since he has more knockouts theb decisions, he doesnt have boring fights. So there is no reason fighting wise he’s unpopular.

I'm really interested to see how upcoming PPVs do, following 229. The card is looking like it smashed the PPV record, clearly a ton more people are talking about MMA, guys like Derrick Lewis and Khabib have gotten a bunch more fans. I want to see now whether they have drawing power on their own, or if it's still reliant on Conor.

We'll see very shortly, whether 230 does well with Lewis in the headliner. Hopefully Khabib fights Tony next too, so we get to see what his selling power is like now. I'm cautiously optimistic for MMA going forward...

32 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

That Lewis/Volkov fight was weird. Lewis tried that dashing, reach around, trip takedown three times. 

what I love the most about Lewis is he's basically a beginner. that was like the move you just learned in today's class, and then you try it out all the time in sparring. feel like I can relate to him a bit, outside of being literally less than half his size xD

like he said in his interview, he's not that technical yet, but he's "getting there". interesting that he's been a zero-technique brawler all his career, and is now making an earnest effort to learn. and yet he's found himself in a title shot anyway, lol

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

what I love the most about Lewis is he's basically a beginner. that was like the move you just learned in today's class, and then you try it out all the time in sparring. feel like I can relate to him a bit, outside of being literally less than half his size xD

like he said in his interview, he's not that technical yet, but he's "getting there". interesting that he's been a zero-technique brawler all his career, and is now making an earnest effort to learn. and yet he's found himself in a title shot anyway, lol

I just hope he can learn something of value the next month. I dont care if DC wins, bu I want it to be a good fight