MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do people that use IG that much buy PPVs?

well he was just part of the highest ppv ufc seller ever, way more than any Conor fight ever (almost double any other one besides Diaz 2, which they still sold way more than). I doubt they are getting anywhere close if he was fighting Tony or RDA instead.

4 hours ago, Mossburg said:

So given how Jones arguably lost to Gustafsson the first time, who here is going to pick Gustafsson in the rematch?

Still going Jones, but Gustafsson legit is a match up problem for Jones. His size allows him to hold his own in the grappling game and he is a more natural and pure striker than Jones. It just seems like Jones has a better chin. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Still going Jones, but Gustafsson legit is a match up problem for Jones. His size allows him to hold his own in the grappling game and he is a more natural and pure striker than Jones. It just seems like Jones has a better chin. 

I think the big point people are overlooking is Gus is one fighter that has had a LONGER layoff than Jon Jones. He last fought in May 2017 and Jones fought DC in July 2017. I think it comes down to who has less ring rust going into the fight. The layoff definitely showed when Jones made his first comeback versus OSP, but Gus does have a fairly significant injury history that may hamper him. Honestly, I don't think I've seen a recent title fight that had more question marks surrounding it than this, especially with how evenly matched their first fight was.

At this point, the edge has to go to Jones, but this should be the most anticipated fight remaining this year. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve watched that fight twice, closely, and it was a really close fight but I gave it to Jones 48-47 both times. 

The most interesting thing about that fight is Jones was well on his way to needing a 5th round finish until he landed that elbow at the end of the 4th.

Gus is a good counter because he has great hands and Jones doesn't and Jones had zero success at closing the distance so he basically got forced into a kickboxing match against a guy with the same reach and better hands. I dunno if that fight goes the same way in the rematch, but on paper Gus has as good a shot as anyone.

Edited by Mossburg

6 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I think you're underestimating his drawing power at this point. 2.5 million people just watched him beat up the most polarizing fighter in the sport, and Russia is a big untapped market for the UFC, and they just made their first foray into Russia. If anything, they should do a rematch in Moscow and if Conor (somehow) wins, a rematch in Dublin. The further removed we are from this controversy, the better it is for the UFC. Love or hate what happened, there's no such thing as bad publicity for an entertainment company. 

Khabib and Conor aren't fighting outside of USA unless it's a massive neutral site like Wembley. Conor doesn't even deserve an automatic rematch either imo.

Assuming Khabib gets suspended the proper fight should be Ferguson/Conor for Interim LW belt setting up a possible rematch with Khabib.