MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

I'm gonna be honest and say I have no clue what's going to happen in the Askren vs Lawler fight.

We haven't seen Askren fight anyone legit in years. But Lawler hasn't seemed at his best since the Woodley fight, and his last fight was over a year ago, when he got his knee jacked up pretty bad. So this fight is really a huge unknown, even outside of the fact they're such a polar opposite in style.

i'm just looking forward to seeing how it goes down. Hoping for Askren, because I don't think Lawler has another title run in him, whereas Askren is fresh blood in the division (and has beef with just about everyone).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'm gonna be honest and say I have no clue what's going to happen in the Askren vs Lawler fight.

We haven't seen Askren fight anyone legit in years. But Lawler hasn't seemed at his best since the Woodley fight, and his last fight was over a year ago, when he got his knee jacked up pretty bad. So this fight is really a huge unknown, even outside of the fact they're such a polar opposite in style.

i'm just looking forward to seeing how it goes down. Hoping for Askren, because I don't think Lawler has another title run in him, whereas Askren is fresh blood in the division (and has beef with just about everyone).

I'm hoping Askren wins for the sake of annoying Dana even more. You know he fed him Lawler on purpose in hopes that he gets KTFO. I'll laugh, if Askren wins, his next opponent will be Darren Till. He's going to get the "Bellator isn't as good as the UFC" treatment by Uncle Dana. Gonna feed him killers until he loses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

This is pretty much how I feel 100% except for the bolded. Askren is fresh blood and I usually root for that but Askren isn't going to fight for the belt even if he beats everyone UNLESS Woodley retires and I dont think he plans on doing that too soon. If Woodley beats Usman and Askren beats Lawler then the only logical fight for TWood is Colby and that's it unless they throw Ponzi in there

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm hoping Askren wins for the sake of annoying Dana even more. You know he fed him Lawler on purpose in hopes that he gets KTFO. I'll laugh, if Askren wins, his next opponent will be Darren Till. He's going to get the "Bellator isn't as good as the UFC" treatment by Uncle Dana. Gonna feed him killers until he loses. 

I know those 2 guys are killers but throwing him big strikers does kind of play into Askren's hand a little bit. We know Till is a turtle on his back and I think that is an easier fight for Askren than the Lawler fight because at least he has some strong TDD

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This is pretty much how I feel 100% except for the bolded. Askren is fresh blood and I usually root for that but Askren isn't going to fight for the belt even if he beats everyone UNLESS Woodley retires and I dont think he plans on doing that too soon. If Woodley beats Usman and Askren beats Lawler then the only logical fight for TWood is Colby and that's it unless they throw Ponzi in there

It's no guarantee Woodley's going to be champ forever, and even if he is, it doesn't mean that Askren can't have a bunch of interesting matchups without fighting for the belt.

10 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

It's no guarantee Woodley's going to be champ forever, and even if he is, it doesn't mean that Askren can't have a bunch of interesting matchups without fighting for the belt.

I agree on both counts but lets say Woodley 2 more years and that's probably 4 fights. If Askren beats Lawler it puts him up VERY high on the rankings and then he fights probably Ponzi and if he beats him and Woodley beats Usman followed by Colby then what? Woodley has no logical fights left and Askren basically playing bodyguard makes it that way for him. Sure you can make a ton of fights for Askren but who would TWood get? The easy response would be don't give Askren anyone that is a logical threat to WW like Ponzi so the UFC isn't in trouble with finding TWood a fight unless they try a super fight with someone

To be honest, in weird way, if Jon Jones is going to lose, I think it's most likely going to come from a huge underdog like Smith.

When Jon is at his best, fully focused, he beats literally every fighter in the world. I feel like the only way he loses right now is by disregarding his opponent and making a mistake. That's not going to happen against someone like DC or Gus, but it could against a guy like Smith.