MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

8 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

What is the selling point now?

He's the biggest star in combat sports history looking to get back into title contention? Cowboy and McGregor have had beef dating back to pre UFC 194 at the Red Panty Night presser. McGregor does a ton of media and pre-fight interviews, etc that really helps the company sell the fight. Hell, he did only 1 press conference and very limited media before his last fight and it shattered the UFC's PPV buy record. He's by far the biggest draw in the sport and should headline whatever card that he's on. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's the biggest star in combat sports history looking to get back into title contention? Cowboy and McGregor have had beef dating back to pre UFC 194 at the Red Panty Night presser. McGregor does a ton of media and pre-fight interviews, etc that really helps the company sell the fight. Hell, he did only 1 press conference and very limited media before his last fight and it shattered the UFC's PPV buy record. He's by far the biggest draw in the sport and should headline whatever card that he's on. 

Cowboy beg him for a fight. Its a weak beef at best. From a mma fan i dont see him as a better headliner than any title fight and about a dozen other fights i would be more interested in. As a casual it seems the vale was lifted last fight. I dont see how he could start his trash talk with cowboy without coming off worse than he did with khabib. 

I would love the fight but i could easily see a fourth of july card where hes not even worthy of a co main. 

7 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Cowboy beg him for a fight. Its a weak beef at best. From a mma fan i dont see him as a better headliner than any title fight and about a dozen other fights i would be more interested in. As a casual it seems the vale was lifted last fight. I dont see how he could start his trash talk with cowboy without coming off worse than he did with khabib. 

I would love the fight but i could easily see a fourth of july card where hes not even worthy of a co main. 

They were supposed to fight in March 2016 for the LW strap but Cerrone got folded by RDA. You as an MMA fan might want to see a few more fights more than that bout, but to the average consumer/fan having Conor headline will draw their interest. McGregor is legitimately the only household name in the sport and the PPV will sell 2-3x more with his name in the title. 

How did he shatter the UFC PPV record at 202 after coming off of a loss at 196? Conor knows how to sell a fight and does media 20x better than any other fighter on the roster. He didn't even lose that bad against Khabib unless you think leg humping is fighting. 

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They were supposed to fight in March 2016 for the LW strap but Cerrone got folded by RDA. You as an MMA fan might want to see a few more fights more than that bout, but to the average consumer/fan having Conor headline will draw their interest. McGregor is legitimately the only household name in the sport and the PPV will sell 2-3x more with his name in the title. 

How did he shatter the UFC PPV record at 202 after coming off of a loss at 196? Conor knows how to sell a fight and does media 20x better than any other fighter on the roster. He didn't even lose that bad against Khabib unless you think leg humping is fighting. 

The last sentence got me. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He got annihilated lol. Khabib even floored him with a right which shocked the **** out of me

Edited by BillsGuy82

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Whether you like it or not, McGregor is a household name and is, without a shadow of a doubt, the biggest draw in MMA. He could lose 10 times over and still be a massive draw. 

Idk about the losing 10 times over thing because eventually what he speaks isn't gospel some people won't tune in but he is absolutely the biggest draw and while his last fight sucked I'm still surprised he wouldn't headline. Belt or no belt, he's a headliner. Whoever they think should headline other then him on the same card should just get their own PPV

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

He got annihilated lol. Khabib even floored him with a right which shocked the **** out of me

Yea at that point I just said "you gotta be freakin kidding me* and just laughed a little. All that talk before the fight and he literally showed nothing that gave us a sliver of hope he would win. I was actually rooting for him

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Whether you like it or not, McGregor is a household name and is, without a shadow of a doubt, the biggest draw in MMA. He could lose 10 times over and still be a massive draw. 

Doubtful. Mcgregors draw will drop out eventually. His trash talking is dated and his invincibility is smashed at this point. 

If you are the ufc why do you headline him? Why do you give him any sort of resemblance of power in negotiations? 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

O.o

Just now, NYRaider said:

UFC 235 with 2 title fights and Ben Askren did 500k PPV buys. Conor’s next fight is doing 2-3x that. 

Is Askren a major draw? Is Woodley a major draw? I feel like some of his fights have pissed off enough people to where they are leary of him. I agree Conor is easily #1 and while I was excited about this card, the casuals are the ones that drive buy numbers and I cant imagine they are big on the 2 I mentioned