MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

52 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah you need HIGH insurance for the Main Event. I'm sure Tony signed something he has to fight in the Main Event if Conor or Khabib pull out. And he deserves it anyways. 

I think Tony (if he wins) fighting the winner of Conor vs Khabib makes the most sense. I don't wanna see Khabib vs GSP or Conor vs GSP/Nate. Yawn. 

And I think Tony beats Pettis easily in this fight. 

He does, but so does Poirier.

Tony shouldn't be able to walk in to a title shot after not fighting in a year when a guy like Poirier is also waiting in the wings. If the division was empty, then fine, but Poirier deserves to be the fill in more. 

7 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Tony shouldn't be able to walk in to a title shot after not fighting in a year when a guy like Poirier is also waiting in the wings. If the division was empty, then fine, but Poirier deserves to be the fill in more. 

Tony in the Main would draw more money, Conor vs Dustin II would be lackluster draw compared to most Conor fights, and Tony is just an overall better fighter than Poirier. I do agree with you. He deserves it. However, it's a business. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

i kind of agree with both sides on this. If you look at the run Dustin is on right now it is kind of like what does he have to do to get a shot? But Tony was the interim champ and never lost his spot in line, just that crazy injury. If im pushed on this i say Tony gets first crack at the belt if he wins and if im Dustin then i stay ready and wait for next in line. I know that guy said he was gonna wait and then took the fight with Nate, but if he wins then he needs to stop taking contender fights and wait for his shot. He might be waiting like 6-8 months or a bit longer to get it but its what he should do. No need to risk a title shot against someone lower ranked than you at this point.

Cant believe Tony v Pettis is happening. I really hope Tony moves up to the ME if Conor/Khabib pull out. Thats the fight we all really want to see.

If thats not the case, then Tony v Pettis is gonna be FIREWORKS. As a major Tony fan, I am legitimately concerned for him as this is a stylistically tough matchup for him as Pettis can actually beat him on the feet unlike most guys and that will torpedo his title shot that I think he has earned for a long time

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Tony in the Main would draw more money, Conor vs Dustin II would be lackluster draw compared to most Conor fights, and Tony is just an overall better fighter than Poirier. I do agree with you. He deserves it. However, it's a business. 

Conor-Tony and Conor-Dustin probably do the same. The general public - the ones who decide whether a fight does 200,000 buys or 2,000,000 - don't know who either Tony or Dustin are. They'll buy because it's Conor.

In fact, Conor-Dustin 2 probably has the chance of drawing a little better, since there's a storyline of them having fought before and Dustin wanting revenge. that's probably a bit more enticing as a Conor opponent to the casuals than some gremlin looking Mexican weirdo like Ferguson.

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Conor-Tony and Conor-Dustin probably do the same. The general public - the ones who decide whether a fight does 200,000 buys or 2,000,000 - don't know who either Tony or Dustin are. They'll buy because it's Conor.

In fact, Conor-Dustin 2 probably has the chance of drawing a little better, since there's a storyline of them having fought before and Dustin wanting revenge. that's probably a bit more enticing as a Conor opponent to the casuals than some gremlin looking Mexican weirdo like Ferguson.

Idk i feel like Ferg talks more and will sell it more. He already went on his defend or vacate McNuggets tirade. I’d think casuals will look at the records and see McGregor beat Dustin easily once before