MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

Pretty pumped for next week. There is basically two things to look at in this fight that we won't know until come fight time.

- Will Khabib be able to safely get ahold of Conor? If so, it's a stylistic nightmare for Conor and he could be grinded for 5 Rounds. If Khabib cannot get safely inside Conor, he's getting knocked out.

- There is a question mark around Khabibs level of competition. It may not be a factor at all.. but it is something to wonder about. Who has Khabib beaten? Barbosa... Michael Johnson...? Yikes. Conor is rightfully the slight underdog in this fight, bad matchup and two year layoff, but there is no denying Conor is very proven. He beat the several year reigning FW Champ and former Top 2-3 P4P Fighter in Jose Aldo. He beat long long ranked #1 FW contender in Chad Mendes. He absolutely embarrassed Eddie Alvarez, who is still probably around 6th best in the LW division. He also completely destroyed Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier back in the day. Sure, you can argue they are much better now, but I always feel that's such a bad point to argue as Conor is much better these days as well. Guy spends like 500k on his training camps.

Khabib should be favored, he is 26-0, horrible matchup for Conor, and has the potential to be the greatest ever if he keeps this up for the next 5 years. However, in the other corner, we have McGregor who always proves everyone wrong, exciting fighting style and personality, and has proven himself against five elite guys while Khabib hasn't ever faced an elite guy until now.

I'm very very excited for it.

While most either think it's a Conor KO first two rounds or Khabib 5 Round grindfest (with maybe a late round sub), I think maybe it could go entirely different. Perhaps we see Khabib waiting til Conor gasses and Conor wins the first two rounds. Khabib wins next two rounds GNP. 2-2 entering the 5th? Maybe Conor is recovered? Would be very interesting. All in all, pumped for the fight.

My official prediction is Conor with a TKO in Round 2 but I would definitely not put money on this fight on either side. I mean, if you put a gun to my head and my life was on the line, maybe I would pick Khabib by decision. Thankfully, that's a scenario I don't have to worry about. Very unpredictable fight, let's see what happens Oct 6th!

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I cant remember the last time a main event was expected to be so ridiculously one-sided but could go either way. We all either expect Khabib to maul Conor to death or Conor knocks his head off. There will be no 48-47 decision or even 49-46. 

In the scenario I listed above it’s possible but highly unlikely. 

I think Round 1 will be both guys feeling each other out, maybe Conor wins the round by a hair. Then Conor strikes in Round 2. 

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I cant remember the last time a main event was expected to be so ridiculously one-sided but could go either way. We all either expect Khabib to maul Conor to death or Conor knocks his head off. There will be no 48-47 decision or even 49-46. 

I wouldn't rule it out. Conor showed in the second Diaz fight he's able to dig deep and go 5 rounds, even if he arguably should have lost the fight (I thought it could have gone either way, but didn't really have a problem with Conor winning). he turned my opinion a bit when he was able to come back after it looked like he was hitting a wall in the 2nd or 3rd round.

plus there was the Mendes fight. obv Khabib is a different animal to Mendes, but Conor got mauled for like a round and was able to come back and get the KO. think the opinion of Conor being a glass cannon is a bit of an oversight

1 hour ago, eagles101 said:

Im super excited about the card but i couldnt care less about conor. Honestly the fight just show cases almost everything wrong with the ufc. Even them selling it as the biggest fight ever annoys me.

man, you gotta ease up a bit... conor vs khabib is a monster fight. dont get caught up in the process of it like jose aldo did, just appreciate the fight once the bell rings

how anyone MMA fan could not be excited by this matchup is beyond human reasoning

31 minutes ago, driftwood said:

man, you gotta ease up a bit... conor vs khabib is a monster fight. dont get caught up in the process of it like jose aldo did, just appreciate the fight once the bell rings

how anyone MMA fan could not be excited by this matchup is beyond human reasoning

I can get into any fight. I love fights. Once the bell rings ill be ready. I just find conor to be the most overrated fighter in ufc history. If he kept fighting instead of the flyod thing, then he would be in this top fighter like everyone acts like. What has either really accomplished. Hes never even been a true champ. Hes also a pos that shouldnt be allowed to fight anymore. 

My hope is that it is 5 boring rounds of disappointment. Tbh. 

38 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I can get into any fight. I love fights. Once the bell rings ill be ready. I just find conor to be the most overrated fighter in ufc history. If he kept fighting instead of the flyod thing, then he would be in this top fighter like everyone acts like. What has either really accomplished. Hes never even been a true champ. Hes also a pos that shouldnt be allowed to fight anymore. 

My hope is that it is 5 boring rounds of disappointment. Tbh. 

What the heck?? Conor most overrated fighter ever? Most blind hate I’ve ever seen in a post. You obviously just don't like his personality (which isn’t even his real personality, he’s just selling fights). Conor has beaten five elite fighters in Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Max Holloway, Dustin Poirier, and Eddie Alvarez. How in the world is he overrated? Nobody has once said he’s better than Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, or GSP in his prime. 

23 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What the heck?? Conor most overrated fighter ever? Most blind hate I’ve ever seen in a post. You obviously just don't like his personality (which isn’t even his real personality, he’s just selling fights). Conor has beaten five elite fighters in Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Max Holloway, Dustin Poirier, and Eddie Alvarez. How in the world is he overrated? Nobody has once said he’s better than Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, or GSP in his prime. 

Ive always said i like connor as long as his whole thing is a show. Then he threw a dolly at a bus. I hate the fact that the ufc didnt do jack about it then him. 

Plenty of people put him as the number 1 or two fighter all time (behind jones).  Not to get into the arbitrary debate over elite, good, great, ect. But there are plenty of people, of actual mma commentators, putting him in ufc legend category. Outside of his personality, i dont see what hes done to get all this hype. If he never fought after the nate diaz fight where do you think he would be on the all time list? 

If he beats khabib and defend against the murders row we have a lw I’ll gladly give him credit. He clearly had the potential to, after taking the lw belt, to clean out the division but he didnt. I just have a problem with people hyping like hes done something remarkably unique. 

26 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Ive always said i like connor as long as his whole thing is a show. Then he threw a dolly at a bus. I hate the fact that the ufc didnt do jack about it then him. 

Plenty of people put him as the number 1 or two fighter all time (behind jones).  Not to get into the arbitrary debate over elite, good, great, ect. But there are plenty of people, of actual mma commentators, putting him in ufc legend category. Outside of his personality, i dont see what hes done to get all this hype. If he never fought after the nate diaz fight where do you think he would be on the all time list? 

If he beats khabib and defend against the murders row we have a lw I’ll gladly give him credit. He clearly had the potential to, after taking the lw belt, to clean out the division but he didnt. I just have a problem with people hyping like hes done something remarkably unique. 

Conor is about money. Just like 99% of the world. If all those champs had the option of fighting Floyd for 100M or jumping to another title fight for way more money instead of defending, they would all choose that option. The hate just comes from jealousy.

Even if Conor loses, he's still Top 10 P4P and extremely proven with having done more than 99% of fighters in the UFC.