All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Haven't watched yet, but zero new posts during or in the two hours after Raw is encouraging. I'm sure it will be a great show.

Im no Seth fan. But was really into the entire Jinder Seth program.

Jinders really growing on me as a top heel worker. And made it a good match with Seth where he came away looking strong. Actually doing some quality storytelling with a couple false finishes that wernt just the normal kickouts.

Oh. And... Greatest spoiler youll ever read. Cause its worth spoiling.. NO ROMAN THE ENTIRE SHOW!

7 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Yeah! Advertise Joe vs DB, add in Cass! Def wanna see that instead!

Honestly, it was expertly pulled off though and there's no way (I repeat... NO WAY) you burn that match-up especially considering their respective ages on free TV and a single week's buildup unless it's on the first Smackdown on FOX.  Cass played the part of the broom about as well as someone who can't throw a decent working punch to save his life could.  This accomplished exactly what they needed it to... it teased AND it gave Daniel a mountain to climb - because he's always better as the chaser than the champion.

Joe's got to be one of the favorites to win MITB at this point.  He doesn't need it, but he can probably do the most with it.  It doesn't make sense to put in on Braun unless you're going to have him call his shot akin to RVD on Cena and state that he's cashing in on Lesnar at Summerslam (because "he's not finished with him yet") and winning.  The case isn't going to salvage Finn the way he's currently been booked - and given the way they typically book the MITB holder (i.e. weak so that the cash-in is "a surprise" - which is always counterintuitive, but Hey, Vince!).  Miz makes sense if they want to build up more hype into Miz and Mrs. but he's been getting so many face pops, in spite of still working as a heel, that they only way a sensible cash-in works is either if he cashes in on a champion Daniel Bryan or he goes for the face cash-in on Shinsuke - and Shin's still not over enough as a heel for that to really work yet as the cash-in would be Miz's face turn moment.  I can honestly see a greater likelihood if Miz win it that they embrace the face-turn for him and do it in a sympathy fashion by having Joe wreck him and take the case off him.  And if there's a "surprise" winner, I actually give Big E better odds than Rusev (Vince isn't going to do it - just like he's not going to turn Rusev face), Finn, or Roode.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Honestly, it was expertly pulled off though and there's no way (I repeat... NO WAY) you burn that match-up especially considering their respective ages on free TV and a single week's buildup unless it's on the first Smackdown on FOX.  Cass played the part of the broom about as well as someone who can't throw a decent working punch to save his life could.  This accomplished exactly what they needed it to... it teased AND it gave Daniel a mountain to climb - because he's always better as the chaser than the champion.

Joe's got to be one of the favorites to win MITB at this point.  He doesn't need it, but he can probably do the most with it.  It doesn't make sense to put in on Braun unless you're going to have him call his shot akin to RVD on Cena and state that he's cashing in on Lesnar at Summerslam (because "he's not finished with him yet") and winning.  The case isn't going to salvage Finn the way he's currently been booked - and given the way they typically book the MITB holder (i.e. weak so that the cash-in is "a surprise" - which is always counterintuitive, but Hey, Vince!).  Miz makes sense if they want to build up more hype into Miz and Mrs. but he's been getting so many face pops, in spite of still working as a heel, that they only way a sensible cash-in works is either if he cashes in on a champion Daniel Bryan or he goes for the face cash-in on Shinsuke - and Shin's still not over enough as a heel for that to really work yet as the cash-in would be Miz's face turn moment.  I can honestly see a greater likelihood if Miz win it that they embrace the face-turn for him and do it in a sympathy fashion by having Joe wreck him and take the case off him.  And if there's a "surprise" winner, I actually give Big E better odds than Rusev (Vince isn't going to do it - just like he's not going to turn Rusev face), Finn, or Roode.

They do it all too often. The whole ‘you dint use that match on TV’ is so played out. The roster top to bottom is the most we’ve ever seen, so naturally there’s gonna be ppv caliber matches on tv. And while the talent is there, wrestling isn’t as popular as it was and while there’s a lot of great matches and feuds to be had there are very few that can compare with ‘the matches that you save for ppv’ in the past.

It comes down to again not giving the fans what they want, and not caring. If you don’t want to have Joe vs DB, don’t have it. But you advertise it and then take it away, which I don’t understand (and it’s certainly not for the build) this is one of many examples about how they don’t care what we want and it gets annoying.

7 hours ago, pollino14 said:

They do it all too often. The whole ‘you dint use that match on TV’ is so played out. The roster top to bottom is the most we’ve ever seen, so naturally there’s gonna be ppv caliber matches on tv. And while the talent is there, wrestling isn’t as popular as it was and while there’s a lot of great matches and feuds to be had there are very few that can compare with ‘the matches that you save for ppv’ in the past.

It comes down to again not giving the fans what they want, and not caring. If you don’t want to have Joe vs DB, don’t have it. But you advertise it and then take it away, which I don’t understand (and it’s certainly not for the build) this is one of many examples about how they don’t care what we want and it gets annoying.

This is a matter of just some ppv caliber match; this is the top babyface in the company (portrayed as it or not, that's how he's received) and the top heel in the company (Joe is, even if he was teasing as a tweener recently, it more appears he's just that "I hate/am better than you all" type heel).  You don't put that on free TV with only one week's build.

And stop acting like it's not going to be revisited or happen - they wouldn't have booked the finish they did (Joe choking Bryan out) if they were planning to blow this off and never revisit it, they would have had Cass do the job and eat the finish so that Joe could be in MITB and Bryan didn't have to take the clean loss.  Sorry, dude, but this is wrestling booking 101, chapter 2: It's all about the tease.  Too many fans these days expect instant payoff.  And sadly, when stuff like this or start-of-show-swerves like this happens in the AE,, people lapped it up and still praise it as genius TV/booking.  What they don't care about is fulfilling that need for instant gratification - and that's something that very few wrestling promoters or bookers have rarely ever cared about so that's nothing new.  That's literally the only thing that you can substantiate them "not caring" about from this; the rest really just reads like sour grapes.

33 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This is a matter of just some ppv caliber match; this is the top babyface in the company (portrayed as it or not, that's how he's received) and the top heel in the company (Joe is, even if he was teasing as a tweener recently, it more appears he's just that "I hate/am better than you all" type heel).  You don't put that on free TV with only one week's build.

And stop acting like it's not going to be revisited or happen - they wouldn't have booked the finish they did (Joe choking Bryan out) if they were planning to blow this off and never revisit it, they would have had Cass do the job and eat the finish so that Joe could be in MITB and Bryan didn't have to take the clean loss.  Sorry, dude, but this is wrestling booking 101, chapter 2: It's all about the tease.  Too many fans these days expect instant payoff.  And sadly, when stuff like this or start-of-show-swerves like this happens in the AE,, people lapped it up and still praise it as genius TV/booking.  What they don't care about is fulfilling that need for instant gratification - and that's something that very few wrestling promoters or bookers have rarely ever cared about so that's nothing new.  That's literally the only thing that you can substantiate them "not caring" about from this; the rest really just reads like sour grapes.

You act like there’s some master plan, when many of the insiders say plans are changed throughout the week. Will it be revisited, probably, but a match on SD wouldn’t ruin anything.

The whole instant gratification thing is a load as well. We see the top guys go at it all the time in njpw and ROH, some matches being just one match.

The WWE has a pretty long history of pushing who they want to push, I’m not gonna get into an obvious discussion, if you think they push guys based on the crowd, idk what to tell ya.

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

You act like there’s some master plan, when many of the insiders say plans are changed throughout the week. Will it be revisited, probably, but a match on SD wouldn’t ruin anything.

The whole instant gratification thing is a load as well. We see the top guys go at it all the time in njpw and ROH, some matches being just one match.

The WWE has a pretty long history of pushing who they want to push, I’m not gonna get into an obvious discussion, if you think they push guys based on the crowd, idk what to tell ya.

"Insiders"... if it's not Alvarez or Dave, none of these insiders know squat and are working off of third-hand, at best, information (someone pitched something and it didn't get greenlit, they leak it to a dirtsheet and the dirtsheet spins is like what was going to happen).

You're seriously reaching here and projecting.  Absolutely NOTHING about the way this has been presented suggests that they aren't planning (and have planned) to prominently feature Joe and Bryan.

The instant gratification thing is not a load.  You're deluding yourself if you don't think it is.  WWE isn't the indies.  It's never been the indies (the AE wasn't the indies) and it's never going to be the indies.  Much of what you're citing in NJPW and ROH are matches that occur in tournament formats - which isn't going to happen in WWE as long as Vince is alive or not a vegetable because Vince hates tournaments.  You're certainly not getting singles matches between two of the three most over guys on non-Super-Cards in NJPW (outside of tag matches and the G1 tournament, Okada, Omega, and Naito have only wrestled one another at Super Cards).

The "there's no master plan" stuff applies largely to the guys that aren't on top and we see a lot of people loving to champion that there's no master plan for the top guys because they don't like (in some cases, understandably so) the plan that's in place for said guys on top.  There's no master plan for tag teams because Vince isn't a fan of tag team wrestling.  Unless smaller guys like Bryan or Seth legitimately force their way into the spotlight, there isn't a master plan for them because unless Vince thinks you're another Shawn (who it took it AGES to come around to seeing as a main event draw - and that was only after he tried to use him as a vehicle to satisfy his big man fetish), being a great worker and charismatic isn't enough in  his eyes to view you as a potential top draw.  At the expense of beating a dead horse, Vince books for himself quite a bit, but a lot of people seem to just glaze over the fact that he's prominently featured the likes of Owens (he's not going to put over a guy by himself juicing the hard way if he doesn't believe in him), AJ, Miz (Vince freakin' loves him).  If he doesn't strap a rocket to a guy and slap a world title push on him, while I realize this is some combination of disappointing, frustrating, or head-scratching for some people, it's because he doesn't see it in the guy.  The fans might, Vince doesn't.  Vince spent close to 15 years seeing Shawn Michaels (one of the best in the business) as a "dependable mid-card champion and that's it" - and then Shawn - arguably through a good deal of backroom politicking and less-than-honorable methods - kicked the door down and made Vince recognize him for the talent he was).  Everybody under the sun even when he was coming up saw "it" in Edge (and even more so in Christian), Vince was on the fence on Edge for years and honestly never really came around on Christian, to the point where they had to befriend Brian Gewirtz and get him writing stuff specifically for them to get that rocket strapped to Edge.

And I'm unnecessarily rambling, because again there is nothing in the way this has been presented thus far, outside of people wanting to project negativity for the sake of projecting negativity (or sour grapes), that suggests this is just going to get dropped, that they're never going to book Bryan vs Joe again or that there's no way this is a plan.  It's a slow burn.  That's not a bad thing.  Nobody wants a damn Michael Bay movie.

Matter of fact it was Alveraz’s last episode about the whole script thing.

Dont care what so ever about how things were in the 90s, completely different landscape.

NJPW and ROH considered the Indies still? Geez guess there’s only 1 major leagues! Looking at Impact , looks like they’re having Pentagon face Aries on tv, and Ik they’ve had Cage vs Lashley on regular tv.

’sour grapes’ ... I’m one of the few who thought Backlash wasn’t that bad! And I ranked Mania quite favorably, so don’t label me as a wwe hater because it’s simply not true.

You pretty much said Vince has his likes and dislikes and is gonna book things his way despite what the fans think; which is part of my argument 

On 5/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, pollino14 said:

Matter of fact it was Alveraz’s last episode about the whole script thing.

Dont care what so ever about how things were in the 90s, completely different landscape.

NJPW and ROH considered the Indies still? Geez guess there’s only 1 major leagues! Looking at Impact , looks like they’re having Pentagon face Aries on tv, and Ik they’ve had Cage vs Lashley on regular tv.

’sour grapes’ ... I’m one of the few who thought Backlash wasn’t that bad! And I ranked Mania quite favorably, so don’t label me as a wwe hater because it’s simply not true.

You pretty much said Vince has his likes and dislikes and is gonna book things his way despite what the fans think; which is part of my argument 

Impact airs their Super Cards on free TV, they're not really a valid comparison here.  I never said NJPW was the indies, however I did point out that NJPW hasn't booked the top 3 guys in the company in singles matches on non-Super-Cards outside of the G1 Climax tournament.  It hasn't happened; you're welcome to go back and look at their match histories since Omega established himself as one of the top 3 guys in the company, it's backed up in the data.

I think you need to go back and actually read (or re-read because it doesn't seem to have actually processed) what I wrote, because you're personalizing this to be about you when I was speaking in a much broader sense, particularly with regard to the sour grapes bit.

Yes, I outright said Vince has his likes and dislikes and is gonna book things his way.  Contrary to what people like to tell themselves, Vince doesn't completely ignore the fans - it just takes longer to sink in with some guys and others, if he flat out doesn't see it, they literally have to kick the door down several times over.

What you've still yet to illustrate is where there's any evidence outside of what seems to be some belief that Vince doesn't like them (which, furthermore, isn't evidenced) that Joe/Bryan is going to be written off and never touched again.  If Vince didn't see money in Bryan he would have just let his contract run out and not let him back in the ring (he's done that before, even when guys weren't injured).  You don't get put in a match with a McMahon at Wrestlemania if Vince doesn't see anything in you.  Does Vince see that Bryan is the biggest (in terms of most over) star in the company right now?  No.  I don't know if he sees Bryan as "the guy," and I also don't think that the current run that Rollins is having (which is borderline HBK main eventer breakout) is helping that either because Rollins is younger and has a better physique than Bryan - and Rollins also has Hunter in his corner.  Not being seen as "the guy" doesn't equate to him suddenly being on the same level in Vince's mind as a Rusev or Cesaro, not even close.  And Joe wouldn't be being given the freedom he's been given with his promos (those are Joe promos, not Vince's scripting crap) if Vince didn't think very highly of him.

Also, for anyone that hasn't watched it - I strongly suggest going and watching the Cedric Alexander/Buddy Murphy title match from 205 Live this past week.  It is legitimately the best match on WWE TV (I'm counting TakeOver's as Super Cards, which they are) so far this year; legitimately has the feel of a PWG-style match (minus the cartoony stuff that occasionally shows up in PWG from certain guys).