All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

3 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Another terrific show from NXT. The main event was spectacular.

I really think it was over produced, which imo was a problem this show. My favorite match was the tag match. 

Ricochet vs Dream was good, and I get the story but it just didn’t flow and I get the story but it just felt like a spot fest. 

Women’s match was good until she smiled right before going out.

Black vs Sullivan was awesome, great match. Both have bright futures. 

Chiampa and Gargano was just too much. There were too many weapons and gimmicks that it took away from the ‘hatred’ of the two. Don’t think the ending did anything for either. It was a good hardcore match, but for a rivalry of that magnitude it didn’t need to be so gimmicky.

8 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I really think it was over produced, which imo was a problem this show. My favorite match was the tag match. 

1) Ricochet vs Dream was good, and I get the story but it just didn’t flow and I get the story but it just felt like a spot fest. 

2) Women’s match was good until she smiled right before going out.

3) Black vs Sullivan was awesome, great match. Both have bright futures. 

4) Chiampa and Gargano was just too much. There were too many weapons and gimmicks that it took away from the ‘hatred’ of the two. Don’t think the ending did anything for either. It was a good hardcore match, but for a rivalry of that magnitude it didn’t need to be so gimmicky.

1) I agree.  It's always been my biggest criticism of Ricochet - he needs a guy who can slow him down sometimes and allow him to make the big spots more special with build up.  This isn't usually the case when he's up against a much bigger opponent (the Lars match, Keith Lee, Jeff Cobb/Matanza), but that's because he has to spend more time selling.

2) I don't mind the smile before going out, because this feud isn't done I don't think (unless Sanity as a whole finally goes up).  Personally, I'd have shifted the camera angle and then had the announcers point out as she's lying unconscious on the canvas that she's smiling - went out with a smile on her face (it defies human biology and muscles relaxing, but not enough people are going to know that).

3) The mega-botch on the first connected Black Mass aside.  Lars is still rushing some stuff (same as Dream does) and that showed a decent amount tonight.

4) I agree.  Maybe if the last match between them hadn't been unsanctioned/no DQ/hardcore but this felt like when WCW and WWF tried to get in on the "hardcore" matches to wheeze off ECW's juice and just over-packed the weapons.  There were some nice touches (the stop sign within the "use this sign" sign as a nod to the Raven/Dreamer feuds in ECW), but this really felt formulaic in that they did a really similar layout to the last match they had just with different weapons and a few more table/stairs spots.  When you use this many weapons and can't show blood (aside from the inside of Ciampa's mouth) it stretches too thin.  Plus, they've left themselves with very few options moving forward; Three Stages of Hell would be pretty much yet another redux of the same match.  Maybe they go "I Quit," but that kind of gets ruined by Ciampa's post-table-spot behavior tonight when he was on the gurney and outright begging.

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

1) I agree.  It's always been my biggest criticism of Ricochet - he needs a guy who can slow him down sometimes and allow him to make the big spots more special with build up.  This isn't usually the case when he's up against a much bigger opponent (the Lars match, Keith Lee, Jeff Cobb/Matanza), but that's because he has to spend more time selling.

2) I don't mind the smile before going out, because this feud isn't done I don't think (unless Sanity as a whole finally goes up).  Personally, I'd have shifted the camera angle and then had the announcers point out as she's lying unconscious on the canvas that she's smiling - went out with a smile on her face (it defies human biology and muscles relaxing, but not enough people are going to know that).

3) The mega-botch on the first connected Black Mass aside.  Lars is still rushing some stuff (same as Dream does) and that showed a decent amount tonight.

4) I agree.  Maybe if the last match between them hadn't been unsanctioned/no DQ/hardcore but this felt like when WCW and WWF tried to get in on the "hardcore" matches to wheeze off ECW's juice and just over-packed the weapons.  There were some nice touches (the stop sign within the "use this sign" sign as a nod to the Raven/Dreamer feuds in ECW), but this really felt formulaic in that they did a really similar layout to the last match they had just with different weapons and a few more table/stairs spots.  When you use this many weapons and can't show blood (aside from the inside of Ciampa's mouth) it stretches too thin.  Plus, they've left themselves with very few options moving forward; Three Stages of Hell would be pretty much yet another redux of the same match.  Maybe they go "I Quit," but that kind of gets ruined by Ciampa's post-table-spot behavior tonight when he was on the gurney and outright begging.

That’s a good point about Lars, he’s very green. I think he has a ton of potential to be a top heel.

I really think it’d be a bad idea to give it a 3rd match. After a hardcore grudge match like last night, I think the only options would be a last man standing or NXT’s first Hell in a Cell. They had a wrestling classic, and a very physical hardcore match already so those are the only two that can top it.

G1 participants announced today. Hangman and Jay White as the first timers. Two of my favorites.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

That’s a good point about Lars, he’s very green. I think he has a ton of potential to be a top heel.

I really think it’d be a bad idea to give it a 3rd match. After a hardcore grudge match like last night, I think the only options would be a last man standing or NXT’s first Hell in a Cell. They had a wrestling classic, and a very physical hardcore match already so those are the only two that can top it.

G1 participants announced today. Hangman and Jay White as the first timers. Two of my favorites.

I could see Hell in a Cell, but this is absolutely going to a 3rd match.  This is Shawn and Hunter booking their 2002-2004 feud all over again, except I can certainly see them putting Shawn (Johnny) over this time.  I can't see them doing Last Man Standing so close to doing it with AJ and Nakamura doing it.  i could see I Quit, because it allows to play right into Ciampa's character and have him grab hold of Candace at some point and have her positioned to hit a spot on her only for her to get comeuppance of her own and low-blow the crap out of him.  The thing I really don't like about the way last night's match was booked is for one, if a guy is getting strapped to a backboard why hasn't the referee called the match?  And then, unless you're planning to turn Gargano heel (and you're sure as not doing a double-turn in this instance), how is Johnny going to have been "allowed" to lay hands on that many official "security" (and if you're not calling the match because of the "injury" then why are they out there stopping him? - they're effectively interfering in an ongoing match.)?

41 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Chicago crowd gonna Chicago crowd

I don't want to say all of them because some of them did the right thing if they wanted to get their message across and went to the bathroom/concession stand during the match.  The people that stayed in their seats to cheer a beachball just flushed any reason why Vince should consider their opinion down the toilet.

Roman wasn't in the main event.  He was booked in a mid-card cool-off match following a hot ladder match and they still didn't even give the match a chance before crapping on it.  Those are garbage fans.  If you're going to crap on Roman no matter where he's booked, what incentive does Vince have not to just put him right back in the main event and keep him there? - you've clearly demonstrated you're going to crap on the match anyway and you're still selling out the arenas and lining Vince's pockets to do it.

Archived