Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

1 minute ago, JLambert58 said:

I do remember a lot of people bitching and moaning on here after Shazier was picked four years ago.   So I will say now what I said then "I will remain optimistic."

I was very high on Shazier..... this pick not so much. Obviously none of us were in on interviews or have the book on his character like the team has so no way of telling how motivated he is for greatness. I guess the semi redeeming part is that he is a 1st round athlete. I hope the majority of us are as wrong on him as we were with players like bell and we have a future stud. I am also excited now that we  have 3 day 2 picks and that is the meat of the draft.

17 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Great, the Jags get another beast on the DLine in Bryan.  

This is my concern. I feel like the Jags and Pats got better today and we are trying to catch up last years teams.  

I was a little concerned Cleveland was going to set the bar higher for the near future, but then they were Cleveland. Their picks wont be bad players but the players they couldve had so much higher ceiling potential. 

I was in the minority on this but I had Ward as an early 2nd round value. Hes good small cover corner. Mike Hughes and Jaire Alexander hold very similar value. #4 overall corners are Jalen Ramsey, Patrick Peterson, Derell Revis rare with size and athleticism. 

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Shazier at least had a 1st Rd Grade. Obviously we don't know how this kid will turn out. A bust? A HOF'r? Who knows. But what we do know is that he was drafted too early. Basically the Steelers were projecting that at least 4 Safeties (5 if you include Moore) would be gone before they pick again. I just don't think that would have happened. 

We picked earlier that year and it was a stronger top end of the draft.

I cant get too excited or too upset by the pick, but Im definitely happier with this pick than I wouldve been with Guice or Michel.

2 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I was very high on Shazier..... this pick not so much. Obviously none of us were in on interviews or have the book on his character like the team has so no way of telling how motivated he is for greatness. I guess the semi redeeming part is that he is a 1st round athlete. I hope the majority of us are as wrong on him as we were with players like bell and we have a future stud. I am also excited now that we  have 3 day 2 picks and that is the meat of the draft.

I wasnt happy with Shazier at that point and despite his injury still have reservations about some of his inconsistency in play. 

Just now, JustPlainNasty said:

This is my concern. I feel like the Jags and Pats got better today and we are trying to catch up last years teams.  

I was a little concerned Cleveland was going to set the bar higher for the near future, but then they were Cleveland. Their picks wont be bad players but the players they couldve had so much higher ceiling potential. 

I was in the minority on this but I had Ward as an early 2nd round value. Hes good small cover corner. Mike Hughes and Jaire Alexander hold very similar value. #4 overall corners are Jalen Ramsey, Patrick Peterson, Derell Revis rare with size and athleticism. 

Did the Pats really get all that better?      I mean, I dont dislike their draft, but I dont see them as a better team than they had last year....but the team has enough talent for Belichick to do something with it.

Jags....dont know enough about the player.   They still have Bortles.     Obviously enough to beat us handily, but I dont think they are a serious contender with him.

Did we get better?    Dont know, but I dont feel like either one took a giant step forward while we just stagnated. 

4 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I wasnt happy with Shazier at that point and despite his injury still have reservations about some of his inconsistency in play. 

EXACTLY!

I even said that numerous times before he got injured in regards to giving him a long term contract.

Dude was a splash play guy who had stretches of great play.....he was also out of place more than I liked and wasnt always a great tackler.

HOWEVER, he clearly meant alot to our defense, even with his flaws.   The loss of his speed really hurt us.

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

our secondary has gone through a compete overhaul since we drafted burns

Burns

Davis

sutton

edmunds

hilton

hope tomlin, Bradley and Butler mold something nice out of this young group

Not all that intimidating when you look at it on paper. 

16 minutes ago, August4th said:

interesting tweet from a wk ago

Not that I put any stock into anything LaCanfora says, but the fact that he was present at the draft tells me he was more coveted than many may have thought.

Too often, people get upset by the media consensus when it comes to draft grades.    I mean, if you dont like a player, thats perfectly fine, but I keep seeing Steeler fans saying "he had a 3rd-4th round grade".  Umm....the Steelers had him at the top of their draft board....in the first round.     Thats obviously far from the be-all, end-all, we always see certain players get taken earlier or later than the media grades them out to be?   Why?  Because a) different scouts see different things and b) draft analysts judge players based on perceived talent, while teams judge players based on how their talent fits into what the team does....which are two very different things.     

Again, that doesnt mean the Steelers are right.....but you cant judge the pick just because he wasnt viewed as a first round pick by many.    I mean, if Antonio Brown had been taken in the 2nd round the year he was drafted, teams wouldve been bashing the Steelers for monumentally reaching.       At the very least, Edmunds has elite tools to work with....a very boom/bust type of prospect.     Not my favorite type, but given how the board fell....maybe not terrible either.  

I dont know....maybe Id be angrier if there was a specific player I was really high on that they passed on to take Edmunds....but there wasnt.    All of the safeties IMO had notable flaws.   None were great centerfielding types (although I have accepted thats not what the team covets in a safety)....and while there are most definitely players I personally wouldve taken over Edmunds, I didnt feel so strongly about any of them that it makes me hate this pick.  

47 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that I put any stock into anything LaCanfora says, but the fact that he was present at the draft tells me he was more coveted than many may have thought.

Too often, people get upset by the media consensus when it comes to draft grades.    I mean, if you dont like a player, thats perfectly fine, but I keep seeing Steeler fans saying "he had a 3rd-4th round grade".  Umm....the Steelers had him at the top of their draft board....in the first round.     Thats obviously far from the be-all, end-all, we always see certain players get taken earlier or later than the media grades them out to be?   Why?  Because a) different scouts see different things and b) draft analysts judge players based on perceived talent, while teams judge players based on how their talent fits into what the team does....which are two very different things.     

Again, that doesnt mean the Steelers are right.....but you cant judge the pick just because he wasnt viewed as a first round pick by many.    I mean, if Antonio Brown had been taken in the 2nd round the year he was drafted, teams wouldve been bashing the Steelers for monumentally reaching.       At the very least, Edmunds has elite tools to work with....a very boom/bust type of prospect.     Not my favorite type, but given how the board fell....maybe not terrible either.  

I dont know....maybe Id be angrier if there was a specific player I was really high on that they passed on to take Edmunds....but there wasnt.    All of the safeties IMO had notable flaws.   None were great centerfielding types (although I have accepted thats not what the team covets in a safety)....and while there are most definitely players I personally wouldve taken over Edmunds, I didnt feel so strongly about any of them that it makes me hate this pick.  

I understand this general perspective and think its valid to an extent.  Ultimately nobody knows how the dude will transition into the league.  My main concern is when there are large gaps between media evaluations and NFL teams, more times than not such as this one (media=3rd, NFL=1), that player usually doesn't pan out.  

Judging from the results, quality analysts in the media are just as valid, if not more depending on the team, than NFL analysts.

10 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

I understand this general perspective and think its valid to an extent.  Ultimately nobody knows how the dude will transition into the league.  My main concern is when there are large gaps between media evaluations and NFL teams, more times than not such as this one (media=3rd, NFL=1), that player usually doesn't pan out.  

Judging from the results, quality analysts in the media are just as valid, if not more depending on the team, than NFL analysts.

And I completely agree with most of that....but IMO, this draft is very odd compared to others, because as I said, I think there were a bunch of players between the mid 1st and mid 3rd round that were very interchangable in terms of where they couldve been valued/selected.      Are there other safeties Id take over Edmunds?  Yes, but none of them were notably better/safer players....or maybe they were somewhat safer but didnt have nearly as much upside.

Trying to look at the bright side for the most part, but beyond that I simply dont think there were any notably strong prospects on the board at 28.    Ones better than Edmunds?   Probably, but no one that I was pounding the table for.      Justin Reid didnt notably impress me.     I like Ronnie Harrison but he has his flaws.     Bates is decent but unspectacular.   There are players at other position I like, but its the same story.

Bottom line, I like his upside and Im happy we didnt take a RB.     Im also excited for rounds 2 and 3 because I think there are still alot of solid contributors are available.   Not seeing premier talents, but quality starting potential players?  Sure. 

Archived