Jump to content
bkokot

Roquan Smith - ILB #8 overall

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

He is a more talented Deion Jones (Atlanta LB).   Jones is a good player so this bodes well for Bears.  Jones was also protected by Grady Jarred and Dontari Poe.   Smith will need similar protection.    Moves like a big corner back.   He is a darter in the box and iln traffic. Doesnt take on blocks because he can't.  His job is to fly around and make plays which he did better than anybody in college.  

I realy like the player if used properly and it was a need.  I think a number of other teams made nice trades and Bears conceivably could have been one of them, but that is crying over spilt milk.   Ill still dlscuss that more at eval of draft

Off top of my head Landry, Hernandez, Daniels and that Colorado corner, forgetting his name, are still on the board.   Hope Bears can grab one in 2nd.  

 

Edited by dll2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks 100/100 times over Jarrett and Poe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would take Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks 100/100 times over Jarrett and Poe.

I was just saying you need huge bodies in front of him to eat blocks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

No, it’s good because he’s a really good football player. How it translates remains to be seen, but they drafted perhaps the best defensive player in the draft at #8

I agree. He was a bit overlooked early on as LB's were somewhat downgraded like RB's were several years ago. However, the NFL is seeing a resurgence of highly impactful RB and is putting more and more stress on LB that can cover. So not only is he a highly productive, smart, FAST, defender with a high leadership quotient, but just in time to catch the wave of LB that can play the new NFL game.

It's much easier to find big Dlinemen to keep him clean than to find guys with his physical and football skill set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I would take Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks 100/100 times over Jarrett and Poe.

 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I was just saying you need huge bodies in front of him to eat blocks.  

Along with running sideline to sideline and cover deep, Smith can blitz. You don't need great Dlinemen in front of him. You need big guys that can absorb blockers. Much easier to find big Dlinemen that can do that than ones that can also rush the passer and run down plays to the sideline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

I agree. He was a bit overlooked early on as LB's were somewhat downgraded like RB's were several years ago. However, the NFL is seeing a resurgence of highly impactful RB and is putting more and more stress on LB that can cover. So not only is he a highly productive, smart, FAST, defender with a high leadership quotient, but just in time to catch the wave of LB that can play the new NFL game.

It's much easier to find big Dlinemen to keep him clean than to find guys with his physical and football skill set.

 

Especially if they are one dimensional. You can easily get a run stuffer who offers little passrush. That was why I wanted Beau Allen so badly. $5 mil and you have him, Goldman, and Hicks dominating the OLs, letting several guys stay fresh for a NASCAR package and between those three the LBs would have room to run for days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Bear fans, Packer fan here.  Your team took my guy, I was hoping the Packers would trade up to get him.  Congrats!!!  Should be an outstanding player for your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly screw you guys! It's been reported that we were going to go with Smith at #10. But noooooo you just had to go and select him and leave us with Kolton Miller. Curse you! Curse you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Idc about mocks.  Smith is a good football player.  Not my first choice but im down to give Fangio the players he wants/needs.

 

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

No, it’s good because he’s a really good football player. How it translates remains to be seen, but they drafted perhaps the best defensive player in the draft at #8

You guys missed my sarcasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard at work, from a straight face 

"Ah, I think the Bears should have taken that Nelson guy"

"Yeah me too, but he was off the board so therfore..."

"Ah bull****, you find a way if you're John Fox, get your guy, you know?"

<30 minute pause>

"You're probably right, thanks have a good weekend"

 

This is someone who I've long known as an idiot, but did not realize they paid attention to the Bears. Liked them better before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just thought I'd put out an athletic comparison for Smith ----> Jerrod Mayo

Actually a lot of playstyle that meshes well with both of them too. Crazy athletic, top end CoD, big hitters, speed for days...

Measurable Smith

Mayo

Height 6' 0⅞" 6' 1"
Weight 236 lbs 242 lbs
40 Yard Dash 4.51s 4.54s
     
     
   
Edited by Sugashane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Just thought I'd put out an athletic comparison for Smith ----> Jerrod Mayo

Actually a lot of playstyle that meshes well with both of them too. Crazy athletic, top end CoD, big hitters, speed for days...

Measurable Smith

Mayo

Height 6' 0⅞" 6' 1"
Weight 236 lbs 242 lbs
40 Yard Dash 4.51s 4.54s
     
     
   

Athletically yeah but Smith has far far better instincts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Just heard at work, from a straight face 

"Ah, I think the Bears should have taken that Nelson guy"

"Yeah me too, but he was off the board so therfore..."

"Ah bull****, you find a way if you're John Fox, get your guy, you know?"

<30 minute pause>

"You're probably right, thanks have a good weekend"

 

This is someone who I've long known as an idiot, but did not realize they paid attention to the Bears. Liked them better before. 

Don't worry, my "die hard Bears fan" co-worker came up to me first thing today and said "Jaquan Smith, what do you think?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Athletically yeah but Smith has far far better instincts.

And is better than Mayo in coverage, I was mostly pointing out from an athletic standpoint they are really similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He really just came on my radar a week or so ago as I did not think we'd A) draft him or as time went on and his stock and mocks kept going up that B) we'd be able to get him the more I see him the more I think we've got our IMPACT defender.  Smith has elite vision and elite speed and elite processing speed to go along with good football smarts and looks like he's a hitter too. As if that's not enough, it's obvious that he really fires up the other defenders and is a leader.

Vision is one key thing that sets elite QB's apart from the other QBs. Guys like Brady and Montana had good enough arms, but their vision allowed them to throw guys open and find the 4th option and know that the receiver that was covered would be open in 5 more yards. His game films shows him running past other defenders to make plays because he could see where he had to be quicker and cleaner than the other players. On one blitz he's shown flying through the line to make the sack. If you watch the whole play, he started from a standing start, make the read, and then got to full speed by the time he hit the QB. On another, he's covering a guy doing a 10 yard down and out and has his eyes in the backfield. He peels off and breaks to the line of scrimmage and makes a tackle on another receiver who along with the QB expected Smith to be cleared out by the receiver he was covering on the 10 yard down and out. On another running play going wide he's faced with 2 or 3 blockers and does a full on fake to move one big guy out of his way and runs past the other blockers and some slower moving defenders to make a tackle. 

I would change my defensive scheme to take advantage of his skill set.

The last Bears' draftee I've been this excited about was Urlacher with Forte being a distant second.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×