Roquan Smith - ILB #8 overall

bkokot

Bwahaha, watching more in him since I didn't pay too much attention to Roquan Smith before the draft. I still find tons of plays where he gets totally neutralized by a big guy, but there are a couple plays that are just tons of fun. I had to watch this one a couple times after I was like "eh whatever the QB was pressured on an obvious pass and then the CB made the play... I don't even see Smith, oh wait, he _was_ the CB.."  He does truly seem to have a sixth sense for where the ball goes.  I also wonder if he's going to draw more offensive holding penalties than usual as he seems to attract that kind of attention.  Really does play well past the point where most guys would be catching their breath. When he gets to blitz he looks pretty nice.  You know that thing Aaron Rodgers does when he hops around like Frogger and extends a play by like an hour and a half?  A guy like this could really cut that short.  I still have big worries that teams are going to be able stick him by sending TEs after him, but man am I starting to see the appeal of this guy.  Honestly if I knew more about football I would have been more excited last night. (Odd personal story, I was in the Solider Field parking lot standing under a 12' tall Bear when this pick was announced)

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

The last Bears' draftee I've been this excited about was Urlacher with Forte being a distant second.

I'm fairly excited even though he wasn't high on my list of potential draftees. At all. Not a knock on him as a player whatsoever...he simply seems more like a player you take when you're starting from scratch OR when you're a 3-4 middle linebacker away from having a great defense. The Bears don't strike me as falling into either category. But whatever, he'll still most likely be a hell of a player, and is probably their safest first rounder in a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm fairly excited even though he wasn't high on my list of potential draftees. At all. Not a knock on him as a player whatsoever...he simply seems more like a player you take when you're starting from scratch OR when you're a 3-4 middle linebacker away from having a great defense. The Bears don't strike me as falling into either category. But whatever, he'll still most likely be a hell of a player, and is probably their safest first rounder in a long time. 

I was absolutely psyched for Trubisky, Forte and now Smith. I was pissed about the Floyd, Kyle Long and McClellin picks.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I was absolutely psyched for Trubisky, Forte and now Smith. I was pissed about the Floyd, Kyle Long and McClellin picks.

I found the Long pick weird, but didn't freak because of his pedigree. McClellin really made me scratch my head, and still does...

The real thing with Smith is going to be the intangibles. UGA had a great year and essentially Smith was the face of it. I really expect him to be a tone setter. Also getting back to what I said about Trevathon, possibly look for his release next year. Also Im already assuming he will miss games this year due to health issues.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I found the Long pick weird, but didn't freak because of his pedigree. McClellin really made me scratch my head, and still does...

Me too. I had hair when they drafted him and hence I'm now bald.

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Bwahaha, watching more in him since I didn't pay too much attention to Roquan Smith before the draft. I still find tons of plays where he gets totally neutralized by a big guy, but there are a couple plays that are just tons of fun. I had to watch this one a couple times after I was like "eh whatever the QB was pressured on an obvious pass and then the CB made the play... I don't even see Smith, oh wait, he _was_ the CB.."  He does truly seem to have a sixth sense for where the ball goes.  I also wonder if he's going to draw more offensive holding penalties than usual as he seems to attract that kind of attention.  Really does play well past the point where most guys would be catching their breath. When he gets to blitz he looks pretty nice.  You know that thing Aaron Rodgers does when he hops around like Frogger and extends a play by like an hour and a half?  A guy like this could really cut that short.  I still have big worries that teams are going to be able stick him by sending TEs after him, but man am I starting to see the appeal of this guy.  Honestly if I knew more about football I would have been more excited last night. (Odd personal story, I was in the Solider Field parking lot standing under a 12' tall Bear when this pick was announced)

This is why Smith must be protected by bigger lineman to use his skills. Ray Lewis and Urlacher would also get beat by lineman when they got on them.

I'm very happy with the Smith pick, I think he'll be very good. However, there is still a part of me that says the Bears can't have nice things. 

A hard-hitting, playmaking extraordinaire, an All-American and the recipient of the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.

An explosive athlete with a penchant for the big play. Despite increased attention from offensive coordinators. Capable of making plays at every level of the defense, is the most versatile linebacker in this class and likely to be the highest drafted come April.

Is the safest player to pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, and, if it weren’t for XXX, the best player in the draft. Was simply amazing at this year’s NFL Combine, wowing scouts with his quick feet and massive upper body.

Possesses a terrific blend of size and bulk…Exceptional speed, quickness and athleticism…Very physical and tough…Excellent strength and power…Extremely aggressive…Outstanding instincts and awareness…Offers a lot of versatility…Reliable tackler who will deliver the big hit…Really uses his hands well…Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers…Superb pass rusher and blitzer…Has sideline-to-sideline range…Will attack and fill against the run…Comfortable in space…Can match up and make plays in coverage…Has a lot of experience…Durable and never missed a game due to injury…Smart…Hard worker…Team leader…Super productive.

A big-play linebacker and can deliver the big hit and cover a lot of ground. He is also extremely versatile and does a good job against both the run and the pass.

This sounds a lot like scouting reports of Smith. Can anyone guess who it is?

Aaron Curry. 4th overall pick in 2009. Widely regarded as the safest pick and an excellent pick. Played 4 years for 3 teams before being out of the league by 2013.

31 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Aaron Curry. 4th overall pick in 2009. Widely regarded as the safest pick and an excellent pick. Played 4 years for 3 teams before being out of the league by 2013.

Ehhh. Players bust. It happens. Heck, writers and scouts didn't even think Jamarcus Russell was the second coming of anybody. He was the first coming of Jamarcus Russell!

But, poop occurs, as they say.

Hopefully Smith pans out. Odds say that he will. 

12 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I'm very happy with the Smith pick, I think he'll be very good. However, there is still a part of me that says the Bears can't have nice things. 

This sounds a lot like scouting reports of Smith. Can anyone guess who it is?

As soon as I saw safest pick in the draft, Ik it was Curry.  Curry & Robert Gallery are the 2 reasons i hate hearing that term used...ever.  In both cases however, there were in extinuating circumstances.  In Gallerys case he never got to play his natural position of LT.  He started on the right side for Oakland, played 2 games at RT and went to the bench.  A couple years later he went to a probowl as a LG.  I still think all these years later if they would have just let him play LT and get his feet under him, he would have been more than adequate at the position.

Curry's story is different and we actually know a bit more about it now.  Curry never loved football.  Football was a way out of his surroundings and it was a means to providing for his family.  After he got his check and could set himself up for life, he didnt have near the passion for it anymore. 

On April 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM, RunningVaccs said:

I wonder how much Chicago media is going to over react first time he gets knocked down by an olineman.  

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I wonder how much Chicago media is going to over react first time he gets knocked down by an olineman.  

I for one, have a plan in place for hand-wringing, pointing out how thin the Bears are at pass rush, and loud things about Ryan Pace.  

RIght next to that plan's envelope is the one full of "THATS MY GUY" first time Roquan cleans up Aaron Rodgers or returns a fumble. 

Archived