2nd Round Pick (45th Overall): Josh Jackson [CB; Iowa]

CWood21

If we were all unanimously on board with their selections each year, we'd all be proven wrong most years. It's OK to have doubts about throwing all major draft capital at one position for 3rd time in 4 years. In fact it would be stupid not to have some reservations about it.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

If you think taking these 2 CBs means they've assuredly addressed this need, I don't know what to tell you. And as far as reaching for need, using the your 1st two picks on DBs for the 3rd time in 4 years is pretty much the definition of reaching for need. I simply would have liked to see them go BPA. Not only is there nothing wrong with that as an expectation, it's actually proven to be the best way to build a great team.

Sorry if I'm not drinking enough kool-aid for you.

Sorry, the fact we’ve spent picks in the past to fit the need means NOTHING.  Our CB’s suck.  That wasn’t going to magically change without addressing the position early in the draft.

You’re frustration with the fact the previous picks didn’t work out is shared by many, including myself.  But again, what’s done is done.  Rollins isnt turning into a starter, let alone a value worthy of a 2nd round pick.  

And I say that as a lead up to... how do you know they are NOT drafting BPA?   It seems doubling up at corner is more indicative of that than anything else...

9 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you think taking these 2 CBs means they've assuredly addressed this need, I don't know what to tell you. And as far as reaching for need, using the your 1st two picks on DBs for the 3rd time in 4 years is pretty much the definition of reaching for need. I simply would have liked to see them go BPA. Not only is there nothing wrong with that as an expectation, it's actually proven to be the best way to build a great team.Sorry if I'm not drinking enough kool-aid for you.

Agreed. Again, I like the talent - and most certainly hope it closes some "needs" doors for awhile - I'm just tired of picking CBs with our top draft picks. We need to spread those picks out positionally. I can recognize the need but still vent some frustration that it seems to exist continually. Hopefully not any longer.....for awhile at least.

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you think taking these 2 CBs means they've assuredly addressed this need, I don't know what to tell you. And as far as reaching for need, using the your 1st two picks on DBs for the 3rd time in 4 years is pretty much the definition of reaching for need. I simply would have liked to see them go BPA. Not only is there nothing wrong with that as an expectation, it's actually proven to be the best way to build a great team.

Sorry if I'm not drinking enough kool-aid for you.

The thing is they reached for need in 2015 and drafted guys just for the sake of trying to fill holes at DB. I'm not for doing that again with trying to pretend that this is a deep draft for pass rushers. I'm sure there are going to be a couple guys from this draft that turn into decent pass rushers but this is a pretty sorry draft for pass rushers. You have to draft the best value that's available at the time, whether that be DB, WR, OLB or you move up or down to make sure that the value on the board fills a need. You are basically asking Gute to repeat the mistake that TT made in 2015 to obviously draft and reach for need. Ted Thompson used to be a good GM when he was trying to build the team and he was very disciplined in BPA drafting. Because he was so conservative in free agency he tried to use the draft as a pseudo-form of free agency roster gap filling. That doesn't work very well. If you have a corner on the board that is a much better prospect than the best pass rusher available. You take that corner. Likewise, even if its the 1st round and you need more help on defense but there's a really great WR prospect that can make your offense more explosive you take that WR. The draft isn't for filling holes in roster spots. It's to replenish your roster with talent. There was a serious gap in Ted Thompson's team building philosophy. He was good at maintaining a decent roster filled with young talent but could never put the team over the top because he was so vehemently opposed to alternatives to talent acquisition other than the draft.

3 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm still concerned that dude can't backpedal.

But I don't fully know what kind of D we will be running with Pettine. 

And I guess in their opinion, you can teach a guy to back pedal but you can't teach a dude to have ball skills like that. 

Doesn’t need to. Press bail, simple haha

13 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If we were all unanimously on board with their selections each year, we'd all be proven wrong most years. It's OK to have doubts about throwing all major draft capital at one position for 3rd time in 4 years. In fact it would be stupid not to have some reservations about it.

I feel good about it more so than Randall/Rollins. Both ball hawking, fast pure corners. Our secondary has been bad for years, this makes tons of sense to me, no reservations.

2 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Sorry, the fact we’ve spent picks in the past to fit the need means NOTHING.  Our CB’s suck.  That wasn’t going to magically change without addressing the position early in the draft.

You’re frustration with the fact the previous picks didn’t work out is shared by many, including myself.  But again, what’s done is done.  Rollins isnt turning into a starter, let alone a value worthy of a 2nd round pick.  

And I say that as a lead up to... how do you know they are NOT drafting BPA?   It seems doubling up at corner is more indicative of that than anything else...

See that's the thing. CB was still a major need because of past misses. And because so, I think they made big reaches. They broke their own rule on height for their first rounder and used their 2nd on a slow guy who has struggled to play press man. Drafting for need is a surefire way to squander high picks year after year. So far they've got little to show for the 5 guys drafted in rounds 1 and 2 from 2014-2017. Why should we assume 2018 will be any different. 

I don't think either of these guys were BPA. I think Jaire wlll spend a lot of time injured on the sidelines and I think Jackson will be forced to play 10 yards off his man just like Rollins and Randall. If you think that magically the BPA were the guys that happened to play the position we have the least talent, then I'd love the chance to sell you some real estate.

9 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm still concerned that dude can't backpedal.

But I don't fully know what kind of D we will be running with Pettine. 

And I guess in their opinion, you can teach a guy to back pedal but you can't teach a dude to have ball skills like that. 

They can help him with that backpedal, remember this last season was his first year playing Corner. Its good we have so much depth now at that position with Tramon and House in case he needs time to develop there.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

See that's the thing. CB was still a major need because of past misses. And because so, I think they made big reaches. They broke their own rule on height for their first rounder and used their 2nd on a slow guy who has struggled to play press man. Drafting for need is a surefire way to squander high picks year after year. So far they've got little to show for the 5 guys drafted in rounds 1 and 2 from 2014-2017. Why should we assume 2018 will be any different. 

I don't think either of these guys were BPA. I think Jaire wlll spend a lot of time injured on the sidelines and I think Jackson will be forced to play 10 yards off his man just like Rollins and Randall. If you think that magically the BPA were the guys that happened to play the position we have the least talent, then I'd love the chance to sell you some real estate.

Where do you suggest we find guys to play that position?

Archived