2nd Round Pick (45th Overall): Josh Jackson [CB; Iowa]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

It is an issue unless we are gonna be playing quarters every snap

Alexander and King can be your man corners. 

I think they will mix and match. I’m excited because I’m confident in Pettine to put him in the best situations.

People felt good about Randall and Rollins too. If not immediately, they talked themselves into it by the following day. That's exactly what's happening here. The players who were the standout talents yesterday were James and Edmunds. There was a clear dropoff to Alexander. People had immediate concerns. Now they've talked themselves into him being the guy even if they stayed at 14. The red flags are there with Alexander and Jackson just like with Randall and Rollins. And just like with those guys, people are talking themselves into these guys.

King had a red flag last year too. Remember? It was an injury. And whaddya know, he was injured throughout much of last year. Jaire's flags are injuries and size. Jackson's are scheme fit and speed. Talent with fewer holes was available when both picks were made. I don't believe they were BPA. I believe they were reaches based on need and I believe it will work out much the same as these other recent drafts have turned out.

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

People felt good about Randall and Rollins too. If not immediately, they talked themselves into it by the following day. That's exactly what's happening here. The players who were the standout talents yesterday were James and Edmunds. There was a clear dropoff to Alexander. People had immediate concerns. Now they've talked themselves into him being the guy even if they stayed at 14. The red flags are there with Alexander and Jackson just like with Randall and Rollins. And just like with those guys, people are talking themselves into these guys.

King had a red flag last year too. Remember? It was an injury. And whaddya know, he was injured throughout much of last year. Jaire's flags are injuries and size. Jackson's are scheme fit and speed. Talent with fewer holes was available when both picks were made. I don't believe they were BPA. I believe they were reaches based on need and I believe it will work out much the same as these other recent drafts have turned out.

So who are you taking? You can say this but present a better plan.

Alexander was my 17th best player in the draft and Jackson was my 26th. I see no reaches there, awesome value.

13 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Sorry, the fact we’ve spent picks in the past to fit the need means NOTHING.  Our CB’s suck.  That wasn’t going to magically change without addressing the position early in the draft.

You’re frustration with the fact the previous picks didn’t work out is shared by many, including myself.  But again, what’s done is done.  Rollins isnt turning into a starter, let alone a value worthy of a 2nd round pick.  

And I say that as a lead up to... how do you know they are NOT drafting BPA?   It seems doubling up at corner is more indicative of that than anything else...

Agreed. Gotta remember 9-10 roster spots are dedicated to DB. That’s almost 20% of the roster. This was also a bad year for OLB. 

Not at all surprising we took two guys who were highly regarded. Jackson was very near the top of the overall board. I wanted him or Oliver, and Jackson had a clear lean on ball skills. Good pick IMO

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Where do you suggest we find guys to play that position?

If they weren't sure they'd be able to get up and get Ward as they reportedly hoped to, then they should have signed some friggin better CBs in free agency. And are you suggesting to me that if you strike out in free agency, then you should take whoever you can in the draft even if they're lesser prospects? Passing up better talent for need is the fastest route to the bottom in the NFL.

If they weren't sure they'd be able to get up and get Ward as they reportedly hoped to, then they should have signed some friggin better CBs in free agency. And are you suggesting to me that if you strike out in free agency, then you should take whoever you can in the draft even if they're lesser prospects? Passing up better talent for need is the fastest route to the bottom in the NFL.

Who would you have taken? I think we’re all saying these CBs were great talent at those spots.

Ahhhh - the "have no idea there is a salary cap" answer. Got it

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Sort of an overreaction post. Alexander is more of that dark horse pick. High reward , but hes not that huge of a risk because we also got a 1st next year. Jackson on the other hand is a flat out stud. Not sure where the scheme, fit and speed idea comes from? Hes perfect for our new scheme and his first attempt at combine forty was 4.46... not everyone can run a good 40 off a stand still.  Furthermore, he has arms like a basketball player and has imo hands better than most receivers in the draft. Why so critical? 

The idea that you take whoever is on the board at a weak position regardless if there's much better talent available is absurd. I'll tell you who I take - the better player who knocks someone else off the field. In case you guys didn't notice this wasn't a team full of pro bowlers last year. Just about every position on the team could be upgraded save for QB, DL, and LT. I don't reach for CBs with flaws when there were guys a full tier higher available at other positions.

You guys know that drafting for need is a terrible way to operate yet you're talking yourselves into these guys being BPA that magically fit need. They weren't BPA. Neither of them.

Archived