Is there a way to make preseason better without cutting games?

MacReady

There's nothing wrong with the preseason. It's only a problem for those who expect it to be anything other than what it is. It's a series of televised practice scrimmages, that's it. They shouldn't ever mean anything, they'll never be on par with real NFL games. The only problem is when people think they should.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:48 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I think the preseason could instantly be fixed if it became the first tiebreaker after head to head match ups.  If each game stipulated that no player can play more than X amount of snaps in a preseason game, with raised snaps towards the end of preseason, the team with the best preseason record would hold a tiebreaker after head to head.  It would instantly make second string QBs more valuable, and thus give them more development, which would lead to better eventual starter options at the QB position. 

No.  So you want to make it the second tie breaker after head to head in one breath, but in the other, you want to LIMIT how much the starters play.  That's actually worse than the All Star Game deciding home field advantage for the World Series.  Tie breakers determined by guys not even on the team.

I think cutting players after game 4 makes sense, and will make th gem itself more meaningful. If you are the 54th player on the depth chart it is your Super Bowl. 

Also it means the coaches will try and get the most out the guys who need to develop. Rather than trying to away from the game without injury.

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Having reviews in pre-season games grinds my gears.

(and no, the refs do not 'need the practice' with these...)

Sure they do. How else will they be able to practice turning a guy receiving the ball, taking three steps, getting hit by three guys, fumbling the ball and picking it back up into "not a catch?" :SO.o

On 8/11/2017 at 1:58 AM, Bednarik60 said:

They need to ditch the Hall of Fame game in preseason and make the Hall of Game a really good competitive regular season game. If they really cared about honoring these guys, make it a regular season game, not a game no one cares about. 

Hall of Fame inductdees already get an entire weekend to soak in past glory. They don't need a regular season football game dedicated to their enshrinement.

Preseason isnt really for the fans....its for the coaches and players.   Thats what whiny casual fans dont seem to understand and Im sick of the NFL trying to cater everything to them.

The preseason and season are the perfect length.   It doesnt need to be changed in any way.  Anything to alter it IMO is only putting making money over the quality of the game...which is probably why it will eventually happen, but it sure as hell shouldnt.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Preseason isnt really for the fans....its for the coaches and players.   Thats what whiny casual fans dont seem to understand and Im sick of the NFL trying to cater everything to them.

The preseason and season are the perfect length.   It doesnt need to be changed in any way.  Anything to alter it IMO is only putting making money over the quality of the game...which is probably why it will eventually happen, but it sure as hell shouldnt.

Can't wait for two more weeks of the bottom dweller teams positioning for the draft. 

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

No.  So you want to make it the second tie breaker after head to head in one breath, but in the other, you want to LIMIT how much the starters play.  That's actually worse than the All Star Game deciding home field advantage for the World Series.  Tie breakers determined by guys not even on the team.

That's not even a true point.  Coaches would be rewarded for developing the best fringe or long shot roster talent.  The NFL certainly wants all players to develop as much as they can. 

And to people saying there should be reviews because the preseason is for officials too... Lol at you.  It doesn't take practice to review plays.  Officials don't need to warm up for a season.  There is literally no excuse for reviews in preseason games.  If the preseason was as much for officials and coaches as it was for players, teams wouldn't be going for it on 4th and 17 in the first quarter. 

There's definitely a reason to argue against the preseason counting for anything.  It's a radical change.  I don't see any logic behind arguing for reviews during preseason games.  If the games don't count for anything, the scores or turnovers shouldn't count.  If it turns out it wasn't an interception once it's reviewed after the game, it's still easy to evaluate.  Tell the defender to make a better catch next time, tell the QB to make a better throw next time, tell the runner to hold onto the ball better.  Whether or not it was a real turnover does nothing to change evaluation.  Let the teams do the reviewing during their evaluation process.  There's no reason whatsoever a preseason game should take five minutes to review whether or not it was/wasn't a touchdown or turnover.

On 8/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

That's not even a true point.  Coaches would be rewarded for developing the best fringe or long shot roster talent.  The NFL certainly wants all players to develop as much as they can. 

Coaches who develop deeper rosters are already rewarded.  They end up with deeper rosters and are able to withstand the inevitable injuries.   They also don't have to rebuild when they lose players in free agency, so they rarely go through multi-year slumps.

I wouldn't mind eliminating replay in the preseason.    I also wouldn't mind a rule that officially makes it illegal to do anything on offense or special teams  that would tie the game and force overtime under 5 minutes in the fourth quarter.

In the end, I just don't agree with the idea of making preseason games anything more that glorified, uniformed practices.  i actually like watching the back end of the roster guys battle it out.   Granted, the vanilla game-planning for the starters can be monotonous.

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Hall of Fame inductdees already get an entire weekend to soak in past glory. They don't need a regular season football game dedicated to their enshrinement.

Yeah i'm saying they should make that regular season week and a regular season game. Honoring the HOF'ers with a preseason game during preseason is just weak/cheap. 

I don't want to see my hero Tom Brady getting honored into the HOF during a meaningless preseason week.  

The preseason is fine the way it is. I like the more casual, low-key presentation. I like seeing guys who are still question marks try to make an impression and stay on the team. These games represent an invaluable opportunity for them and for the coaching staff. If I'm an unheralded late-round pick trying to earn my spot, preseason is a BIG deal to me.

9 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Yeah i'm saying they should make that regular season week and a regular season game. Honoring the HOF'ers with a preseason game during preseason is just weak/cheap. 

I don't want to see my hero Tom Brady getting honored into the HOF during a meaningless preseason week.  

Most casual NFL fans don't care about players that have been retired 5+ years. And the casual fan makes up the majority of NFL fans. The teams playing that week would get more attention than the legacy of an NFL player. Especially if it's a big game. Also, is the game still played in Canton? Sucks for the team that has to give up a home game.

Archived