3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

After reading more on Burks, is he really just a poor man's version of Lorenzo Carter? Fast, athletic, but not big enough to take on blockers? A guy you depend on to guard checkdown receivers, and occasionally scheme him to rush the QB?

Carter is much more of a pass rushing threat. Burks is more Deion Jones. Very similar bios coming out of college. 

42 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Hawk was an off ball LB. Two 4ths already there vs a late 3, really hard to call this a deviation from Ted's valuation of LB.

Ted never drafted an athletic LB like Burks though. Ted liked guys like Ryan, Martinez etc. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

If Ryan Shazier ISNT done with football - the league should criminally charge and prosecute any team owner that signs him to a contract.

Did you see the way he struggled simply to walk onto the stage? THAT can not be sped up to "NFL levels"  --

No. Way. Possible.

IMO of course.

I mean...there's not a chance in hell he ever comes close to playing again. Saying he will is just one of those motivational things you say in these situations....

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean...there's not a chance in hell he ever comes close to playing again. Saying he will is just one of those motivational things you say in these situations....

Yes and no IMO.

I'd prefer the Doctor to say: "there's not a chance in hell you'll ever come close to playing again... but we're going to get you up and back to your family and friends for a long, productive and rewarding life"

But thats just me.

False hope is (eventually) no hope at all.

We don’t like this guy.  Looks like the sort we would like if he has any aptitude for reading coverages and tackling because he’s pretty strong, pretty fast, and a better jumper than other people who try to jump without getting a running start.

Really what I want to know is if we got decent value for the pick.  I want an EDGE as much as everyone else, but if the value wasn’t there you can’t just pick anyone off the pile, can you?

This is Gute’s first go as chess master, so we are all wondering if he’s better at finding value than we are.  It’s interesting that they invited this Burks guy for private workouts.  This is a different year for us.  After a mediocre night’s sleep, I’m good with this.  Let’s get rid of some fifth round picks and find another OL in the fourth, and another Driver off the bench somewhere.

I hope Pettine is smiling.

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

If Ryan Shazier ISNT done with football - the league should criminally charge and prosecute any team owner that signs him to a contract.

Did you see the way he struggled simply to walk onto the stage? THAT can not be sped up to "NFL levels"  --

No. Way. Possible.

IMO of course.

Yeah that looked bad man.

1 minute ago, StinkySauce said:

We don’t like this guy.  Looks like the sort we would like if he has any aptitude for reading coverages and tackling because he’s pretty strong, pretty fast, and a better jumper than other people who try to jump without getting a running start.

Really what I want to know is if we got decent value for the pick.  I want an EDGE as much as everyone else, but if the value wasn’t there you can’t just pick anyone off the pile, can you?

This is Gute’s first go as chess master, so we are all wondering if he’s better at finding value than we are.  It’s interesting that they invited this Burks guy for private workouts.  This is a different year for us.  After a mediocre night’s sleep, I’m good with this.  Let’s get rid of some fifth round picks and find another OL in the fourth, and another Driver off the bench somewhere.

I hope Pettine is smiling.

No sane fan is wondering if Gute is better than they are.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yep, if I was Edmunds and I had to have my name called by Shazier and watch Shazier walk out there like that, I might just suck bad enough to get paid 10 million dollars to never see the field. 

I was thinking 'huh, not sure the league thought this move through...'

I'm starting to love this pick. Watch his combine drills and the ease of his movement lateral and back peddle. This is the athlete we've never had at ILB. I expect this kid to start by mid-year at the latest. 

It is going to be a lot tougher to expose us in the middle of the field this year. I'm all in if Griffen is there when we pick. Although, WR, EDGE and OL are more pressing needs. 

By the way, BRAD JONES, is the best we can do to announce the pick? Come on man! 

Just now, Golfman said:

I'm starting to love this pick. Watch his combine drills and the ease of his movement lateral and back peddle. This is the athlete we've never had at ILB. I expect this kid to start by mid-year at the latest.

But are you still livid about dropping 4 spots, picking up an extra first next year and only losing what amounts to 101, dropping ten spots in the third round and a fifth round pick in the process? 

Archived